Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susie227

Kitchen design dilemma

susie227
8 years ago
We are knocking down the wall between our kitchen and existing dining room and moving the dining area to the front of the house. I'm not entirely comfortable with this design plan. The fridge would definitely be counter depth. The width of the space is just over 13 feet. Length is approx 30 ft. Any thoughts on this plan?

Comments (22)

• susie227
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you! That was my thought. However, I feel the kitchen design overall lacks work triangle principles.
  • SewingLadyDi
    8 years ago

What are you not comfortable with? I like how open it is to the eating area?

• farmhouse100
    8 years ago
    What about more of an L shape instead of the U?
  • User
    8 years ago

Moving the rfdg to the right of the sink puts it pretty close to the sink. I'd prefer that end being open. I have a tendency to work on the right side of the sink myself. Just a thought

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

Another reason that the fridge should be on the other side of the sink is so you'll move around the kitchen without criss crossing. One gets stuff out of fridge, washes in sink, preps on counter space between sink and cooktop, then cooks. So you want the appliances in that order. That is more important than a traditional work triangle.

Is that a doorway by the ovens or a window? If a window, why doesn't the counter continue under it?

• Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago
    Susie, I like Jean's suggestion, & have one of my own. I'm having trouble reading dimensions on your sketch, but it looks like island is 30"W & passageway betw. it & sink is 40" & it & opposite wall 50". Your range will be a long way from sink. That will make for stretched work triangle. We put our rangetop on island opposite the sink. It's 36" W. You could reduce passageway on DR side to 44". My wife loves close proximity of the two. It's easy to fill pots, & then drain them when food cooked. All she has to do is turn 180°. Your sink, fridge & range would be in triangle. Our wall ovens are about where yours will be & our built-in fridge where your range is drawn in. If you leave range where it is, consider a pit-filler to save trips.
  • Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago
    Oops, pot-filler. The text was hidden on my phone.
  • susie227
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The window near the double ovens is about 8 inches from the floor. Not in the budget to move the window :(

Thank you all for your thoughts. I was concerned also about the clearance for the stools at the island. I'm trying to err on the side of caution with measurements.
  • susie227
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I know, Bruce, the cooktop is a long way from the sink! By moving the fridge to the right side of the sink, the sink will shift down closer to the cooktop. I inquired about a pot filler, but again not in the budget.
  • shirlpp
    8 years ago

The island seems exceptionally long and only contains seating for 4(no cooktop, sink), especially since it seems like a dining table is only a few feet away.

• Jennifer K
    8 years ago

I flipped your sink wall for you. That puts the fridge on the fringe where browsers won't impede the cook.

• susie227
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Jennifer K ! I don't know how the heck you did that but THANK YOU! And, as for the previous comment regarding the length of the island, I thought of shrinking it as well. I really do not want a cooktop on the island since I entertain a lot. People always want to hang out in the kitchen and I love having an area where I can lay out appetizers and where people can congregate.
  • Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago
    Susie, our island is 39"x104" w/ 36" rangetop in center. My wife uses left side as staging area for things going into/ out of fridge & wall ovens. The right side leaves room for appetizers for those at island & staging for food going to DR. Seating all down opposite side of island. Your 11-1/2' island will afford plenty of space for working & entertaining.
  • susie227
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Bruce, do you have pictures of your kitchen?
  • Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago

Susie, yes but not on this tablet. I'll send some tomorrow.

• Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago

Susie, here are 3. The top one shows there's room for guests to have glass & salad plate w/ appetizers opposite the rangetop, and your island could be wider. The second pic is from the DR near the patio doors w/ my wife's basil pot. The third is from DR near garage door. The fourth is the original plan our CKD, K-E Design Studio, drew up. The sink wall later was lengthened 10" so sink now directly opposite rangetop. The bottom pic shows what I call the LZ, or landing zone for what's going into & out of fridge & ovens to right, and the relationship betw. rangetop & sink, and room for guests. With your island being 2' longer you'll have even more room for plates w/ yummies.

• dfromthebdot
    8 years ago

That is a beautiful kitchen. For the life of me, I still don't know who is sitting at that island with a wineglass, and steaming pots on all burners. I never can understand that.

• Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago

Susie, here's my SketchUp rendition. (My entry way medallion got vetoed)

• Bruce Crawford
    8 years ago

dfromthebdot, the steaming pots go on front burners when people are sitting at island.

• User
    8 years ago

What about eliminating the cabinets on the wall that's opposite the sink wall. And making a generous island instead. Yes you would lose some storage but a bigger island would make up for it. Just another option..

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

Another thing about the cooktop on the island - for some reason, people like to see a person cooking, especially a stir-fry.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional