Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcm6564

We are new "empty nesters" looking for fresh, white or off-white, clean and warm colors

bcm6564
11 years ago
Our house is a 1960's split level brick. A lot of wasted space and no storage or master bedroom. If I start with a clean palette it might be easier to come up with a new floor plan. I am handicapped due to a botched surgery which fractured my spine. So far I have been able to get around the first floor, main level but will need to redo kitchen, baths and move the laundry upstairs.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Sorry to hear about your surgery. It's best to take a measure of the spaces that you are thinking of renovating in order to come up with a cohesive floor plan that works for you.
  • bcm6564
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You are right and thank you. We have renovated two houses in the North and it was our intention to do the same here with this old house until I was hurt and relearning to just function has consumed all our energy. I've considered just painting everything Simply White in a matte to coordinate with the Simply White trim. When we lived in the north I used White Dove and Decorator White for trim. Have not tried Decorator White here in VA but White Dove has a "blue undertone" in this house and light. My husband got a sample of an Aura color called "Crisp Linen" which we both like and is not a yellow as BM Linen, but I haven't found any walls painted "Crisp Linen" on Houzz and it is a very nice white so I suspect it is a new color. If I paint the walls and trim the same color, but different sheens will I get a subtle contrast?
  • PRO
    Pyramid Design Group Architects
    11 years ago
    I don't see how painting everything white to create a "clean slate" has anything to fo with a new floor plan. I think you should consider hiring an architect
  • Keitha
    11 years ago
    I don't recommend getting involved in a major Reno until you are feeling better... It's too stressful!!! But, if you are ready for the challenge sterile white sounds "STERILE". I suggest going with a little contrast between the walls and trim, keeping the upholstery light with simple lines. This will help you gain that clean fresh look you are going for.
  • bcm6564
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Keitha, Thank you. I think you somehow understood and the room you showed has the right feel. My furniture is upholstered in light brass color and chairs subtle brass, light brown and medium brown textured stripe. We know we need an architect but some family members just want us to move. This isn't the best time to sell so as we take our time to decide I want to make our home more comfortable.

I have some beautiful antiques-including copper and brass lamps and old well taken care of cherry dining room all handed down for generations. This is a therapy project for me. My doctor says do what I can as every little bit of exercise will help keep the rest of my body strong as I have lost the use of my right leg, but everything else works. I want to do the painting myself for strengthening, challenge and something to get out of bed for.

I have tried blues and greens and golds in the past and over the last month I have primed everything I can see from my chair. The white primer looks better to me than any of my previous color choices, which is why I started looking at whites.
  • bcm6564
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is one of the photo's on Houzz I liked. However, when I got the samples up the Bone was a lot darker than I thought it would be and the Linen was a lot more yellow and they do not compliment each other in this house.

If I haven't said so before this is a wonderful Website and I appreciate you trying to help.

Shingle style home in Hanover NH · More Info
  • bcm6564
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    BM Ivory 925 may be my answer. Will it coordinate with Simply White? I'm not sure with one functioning leg I would be able to do the trim again but could hire someone. Sadly the previous owners installed a low quality trim, painted without sanding, and it is too formal for the house. Another project if we stay. Again thanks for trying to help. I would send pictures but only learned the internet since this injury so I not very proficient.
  • Keitha
    11 years ago
    Bcm6564... Believe me I can totally relate to what you are saying. We are also empty nesters in a house that we no longer need! My daughter says MOVE and we are planning to do just that WHEN the right house comes along. In the meantime, I have all these ideas flying around in my head for my current house. I had a bad fall several years ago and still dealing with medical issues. It can be very frustrating because my husband and I like DIY projects. I use to be very good at multi-tasking but have realized that these days I am smarter to focus on one task at a time. Anyway, back to decorating! I think you are smart to go with light airy neutrals and I'm just recommending that you stay with warm tones instead of cooler neutrals. It would compliment your heirloom furniture.
  • bcm6564
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Keitha, you and your husband sound like my husband and me. We always do everything we can ourselves which is most everything. Since my surgery, followed by another by two surgeons in another hospital, my husband not only has his full time job but all my work. He is a saint and never complains just wants me to get better. When I'm scared to try something new, like stairs, he will push me just enough. Then he has me do it a couple more times to conquer any remaining fear. We will probably move but our last child has only been gone a couple weeks so we are still in the adjustment stage. My oldest daughter is a professional photographer and my youngest is an artist/art ed teacher. Both agree with you to keep it warm and I also agree. I just don't want it too warm. I am trying to achieve a simplistic decor and keep only those quality pieces which mean something to us. It will make it easier for me to keep clean (just learned to vacuum again) and walk through rooms without getting my walker or wheelchair stuck. You are a doll for helping me out and listening.