Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_orr

How often do you clean out your fridge?

Magsie22
8 years ago

How often do you clean out your fridge/freezer?

I Admit that I once left pizza sauce in the fridge so long, it started molding. My brother found it and asked "why is there cotton in the pizza sauce?".

Share a funny story with us in the comments!

Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Yearly
Never
Other- they'll us below!

Comments (11)

• Belahn
    8 years ago

I clean it every time I go to the grocery store which is about once a week.

• ecpt
    8 years ago

Depends on what you mean by "clean out." Just throwing away old stuff and leftovers? Every 2 or 3 days, probably. Wiping down the shelves and seals? Once a week-ish. Taking everything out, washing shelves and bins with soap/water, disinfecting, the whole 9 yards? Ehh, probably not monthly but several times a year.

• handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I agree with ecpt. I clean out old stuff every week or so, but taking everything out and washing the shelves and bins does not happen that often...maybe every two to three months?

• handmethathammer
    8 years ago

Tomato stuff gets moldy pretty quickly. That pizza sauce didn't have to be in there long.

• Momof5x
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I put weekly as I clean it ( as in wash) every week but daily I wipe and check if anything needs throwing out. I check mainly fresh milk, yogurts, and other dairy products.

• tiffany66
    8 years ago

I go through things every 2-3 days and toss out stuff but rarely have to scrub the refrigerator. In the last couple of years I started using the nice foam trays that my croissants come in from the bakery to put jars and bottles on. I also use them in the drawers and on the door shelves. Eliminates a lot of heavy cleaning in the refrigerator because the trays catch all the drips and spills. Since these trays have a small lip around them nothing escapes onto the glass. Their vinyl-like coating makes them washable and reusable.

The refrigerator looks so much more organized, as all the trays are the same color.

Even better -- they are free! With the exception of the added weight gain from eating the croissants. LOL.

Foam Trays

• bhindman39
    8 years ago

I clean refrigerator every week. Wash shelves, when needed. When teens were living here, the shelves were washed every week without fail. Will try the foam trays as they could hold jams, jellies, and other small containers. Also by cleaning refrigerator out I use the leftovers in soups and stews so usually don't have mysterious items growing. Nothing lasts long enough to get to the expiration date.

It will be interesting to see what happens when husband and I are the only ones home.

• Bev
    8 years ago

We go through it about every 2 weeks, when it is time to do our bi-weekly grocery shopping!

• Marie
    8 years ago

Every week I go through and throw out stuff the night before our kitchen scrap recycling gets picked up.

But my husband gives me such grief over this. I need to actually show him how moldy the tomato sauce is or how crusty the bottom of the pesto jar is before he believes me.

In fact he just asked me about some tomato sauce (had already been heated up twice) that was at the back of the fridge for 2 weeks - I threw it out this morning - and he gave me a look like I threw out good food.

• Ben Hart
    8 years ago

We try to do a refrigerator clearing meal once a week. It takes the form of a salad or stew and we just through everything in! Its a family favorite. :)