Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracylstephens

Island support posts install

tracylstephens
8 years ago
We are going to replace our current counters with Quartz. For the island, we will extend the overhang from 12" to 28" and need to add support posts/legs to the two corners. We would also like an apron so the sides are a bit more finished. Does anyone know the best way to secure the posts to the floor? Or how to go about making and securing a structure with apron and 2 legs for the extended overhang? (Attached is our current kitchen and a sample of an island with overhang and legs). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (20)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    The post should be large enough that they shouldn't move, also check Pinterest, many ideas
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Be careful of having enough room to open and walk around it, regarding refrigerator and table...double check for size
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

Do seriously consider a countertop with rounded corners for that small a kitchen. If you're going to use the dark metal bar chairs shown in your first pic, you could probably use dark metal brackets to support a bar no longer than the one in your first pic. Pick a sturdy pair with as little knee-knocker potential as possible.

• tracylstephens
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you both for your feedback. The kitchen is actually bigger than it looks in the first pic. We are actually trying to fill the space better as it feels like there is a lot of wasted space. Here's another pic (please excuse the mess!) to better show the space.
  • User
    8 years ago

Reinforce the cabinet back internally, all the way to the floor, by adding at least a layer of 1/4" plywood internally, and blocking in the toe area under the backing. You may need additional solid wood corner bloke glued in place as well. Order matching fillers or profiled stock from your cabinet company. Cut them to the size that you need for your design.

Mark the position for your posts, and Hilti drill the floor for threaded rod if concrete. Epoxy into place inside the sleeve, and drill the posts using a drill press to keep hole absolutely vertical and centered. Semi the same procedure on crawl space, but a bit harder with the positioning. You will need pilot holes through the subfloor to be sure that it doesn't interfere with any wiring or joist etc. Then washers an lock nuts.

Use pocket hole jig to drill reinforced island back and posts to accept the screw creating the box frame for support. Make sure it is all level and plumb, which is MUCH harder than you think it is. Create cross bracing at the mid point as well using the pocket screws. It all has to be perfectly level in order to support the stone flat up against it.

• tracylstephens
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Sophie Wheeler for the detailed info. I'll admit, that's a bit over my head but I understand your suggestions overall. Should I be concerned that the fabricator that came to measure for the Quartz said all we need for an overhang that size is two sturdy posts mounted to the floor (in the corners)? There was no mention of additional reinforcement within the cabinet. He said no additional center support is needed bc it's not prone to breakage like granite. Thank you for your help!
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Stone fabricators shouldn't touch cabinets. Your cabinet installer does the alterations. There isn't a material around from laminate to butcher block that I would allow to span that distance without intermediary support.

• tracylstephens
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you, Sophie Wheeler. That is how I'm feeling. I appreciate your input!
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

We did something similar.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I am not sure why the cabinets look two-tone!

• tracylstephens
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for sharing the pic, grapefruit1...I've never seen it done like that. Did you add this overhang to existing cabinets? Any carpenter/install advice?
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

The cabinets were moved into a new configuration. I actually copied the idea from a magazine picture. A carpenter custom made the " leg". The curved area allows for 4 people to sit there.

• User
    8 years ago

Do you have a steel framework projecting outwards from the center post?

• tracylstephens
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sophie, we may just end up sticking with a standard overhang and forget about making the island larger with post supports. I pulled a few Quartz manufacturer specs from the Internet. They say on a 24" cabinet the overhang can be 16" or less with no support. (Other than the 24" cabinet). Do you think I can follow/trust the manufacturer guidelines?
  • User
    8 years ago

The 1/3 2/3 cantilever rule comes into this as well. With 25" of base cabinet, any overhang over 12" will need some type of support. Maybe invisible steel. Like Counter Balance brackets.

But when you have as much overhang as you originally planned, you definitely need a more complex support, as the center of gravity is no longer on the cabinets. The ability of quartz to resist deflection is greater than granite. But it still doesn't bend. It breaks. I've seen dented floors that thankfully were not broken feet. I like belts and suspenders. Especially where 1500lb counters are concerned.

• tracylstephens
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you, Sophie. I think we will play it safe with the 12" overhang!
  • daydropp
    3 years ago

Hi Tracylstephens! I’m in process of designing an island with 24 x 102 inch base and a 20-24 inch overhang with posts. I found a website to buy steel brackets that are strong enough to withhold the span. The site has videos and guidelines for amount of flat brackets needed for the span, length, install etc. I’m personally thinking of having a 2 x 4 framed wall built for the back of the cabinets and getting the flat support brackets long enough to span from the cabinets over the framed wall and recommended length for over hang. I plan to back the wall with plywood and a matching cabinet skin (1/4 inch) then add decorative board and batten design with two posts. Sophie Wheeler- does this sound like sufficient support (thanks for your wisdom). I’m a rookie but have been researching it. Also, I found Rubberwood posts on Wayfair that are on sale.... any thoughts on Rubberwood (super inexpensive that I would paint to match) vs alderwood? I can’t remember brace site off hand but I just googled island support. I read lots of horror stories on not supporting the overhang properly and how some countertop installers don’t care about installing it safely. Countertops are very heavy and if they aren’t supported properly someone could get hurt. My mom’s island countertop overhang wasn’t supported properly and someone was leaning on it and it fell off!!! Thank gawd it was just a heavy duty Formica!!

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

You need to make your own post. Probably not going to get responses to a 5 year old thread.