Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetsarahbeth

Is the ikea trash pull out weak sauce?

sweetsarahbeth
8 years ago

My kitchen is just about done (just put in hardware, still need cabinet moulding and to seal the counters), but I've been meaning to ask: does anybody have any issues with the door to their ikea trash pull out being wobbly? It's a tall drawer that's only attached at the bottom with some low rails and I feel like it's not super sturdy.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Any way to fix it? Or does it just *seem* flimsy, but will totally stand the test of time?

Comments (8)

• Danielle Gottwig
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When you say wobbly, do you mean that the front panel flexes when you pull it out? I noticed that the larger panels on the pullout sink set ups at Ikea did this. The designer for the ikea installation company remarked to us that it's the number one thing people ask them about post-installation.

I don't know and didn't ask whether this contributes to actual problems down the line, or just confuses people.

sweetsarahbeth thanked Danielle Gottwig
  • mgmum
    8 years ago

I have 2 18" wide akurum pullouts, each with a drawer above and a drawer inside near the top. I do not find them flimsy at all. One contains our garbage/compost with the little drawer containing garbage bags and dishwasher soap. The other contains the mixer, the blender and the plastic wrap/sandwich bags are in the little drawer.

• sweetsarahbeth
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Historian, that is exactly what I mean. I can't find any info on people complaining about issues, so I guess we'll see?

• H202
    8 years ago

We don't have the Ikea trash pull out, but opted not to use it because I find ALL trash pullouts to be flimsy (at least, on the low- to mid-end cabinets I have seen them on). I tested (through everyday use) pullouts at several friends' houses, on Ikea and Home Depot level kitchens, and just didn't like their sturdiness at all. I'd be surprised if they have a 50% rate of still working 5 years down the road. So we opted to just put a simple human pullout under our sink in our ikea kitchen.

• Lisa
    8 years ago

I can't answer you because my ikea cabinets are still in the boxes, but I was a little worried about this myself. We bought the Push Opener from Ikea with our kitchen order and I'm hoping that will prevent any issues.

I am considering not even putting a handle on the door to make sure that we always just use the push feature. Our kitchen will be mostly drawers, but on the few doors, I want to put the handles vertically on the stiles not in the middle. And on the trash pullout that would be really confusing, so I'm thinking just leaving it off might be best. Unless it looks weird.

• User
    8 years ago

I have 2 18" wide akurum pullouts, each with a drawer above and a drawer inside near the top. I do not find them flimsy at all.

This is my experience, as well.

• Kim Ladin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a friend with an Akurum kitchen installed almost 10 years ago. She has two of these trash pullouts, and they still work fine. I think it's just a matter of the physics of a tall door attached at the bottom with the pull at the top that makes it feel wobbly. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.