Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jentsu926

Off center master bedroom windows and weird design. Please help.

jentsu926
8 years ago

I like everything about this house except whatever weird master suite addition was done years ago. I have some very off-center windows in the bedroom. It is very hard for me to visualize where the bedroom furniture would be placed. Please help! I'd like to buy the place, but this?...ugh. I'm not sure this can be remedied at all.

It looks like Houzz automatically crops the photos, but the bedroom door in photo 1 is bottom right, if you can't see it. 2nd photo shows the side of the room directly opposite the windows.

windows · More Info

windows · More Info

Comments (19)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

What size is the bed, and can you post a pic of the end of the room from where you are taking these pics?

• jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does this help at all ? This photo shows the entry door (left side) to the bedroom. This is all I have, unfortunately.

windows · More Info

• jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh and the bed would be queen/full size. Sorry, I omitted that earlier. I'll likely have some type of armoire as well.

• User
    8 years ago

Can you take out that wall with the archway?

• jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I guess. Looks like it was added later so I don't think it is load bearing. Gosh, what were they thinking on this?

• User
    8 years ago

I was also thinking that the wall looks like it was not original. That's where I'd start! Open up the room if you can.

jentsu926 thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

We've had many, "What were they thinking?" moments in our house, too!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Great idea to take that wall out.

• jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whew, this is going to get expensive. I see electrical outlets running through that wall. There must have been a reason they chose those temporary closets in the bathroom over just creating one big closet in the master bedroom. I am guessing that behind that far bedroom wall that juts out is either 1) the plumbing for the guest bathroom on the other side, 2) a walled-over fireplace, or 3) ductwork.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

It's hard because we don't know the layout. I assumed that was a master bathroom through the arches. Is it not?

If it's a guest bathroom, what is the purpose of the arch in that wall? Is that the master closet to the left there, before the bathroom?

• jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, this is the master suite and the arches lead to the master bath. I think they chose the arched wall to match the other arched walls throughout the house (that's my best guess anyway). Yes, the master closet(s) are through the arch just before the bathroom.

• graywings123
    8 years ago

Rerouting electrical is generally not a big deal. But likely you will need a permit and an electrician.

jentsu926 thanked graywings123
  • User
    8 years ago

jentsu926

Whew, this is going to get expensive.

It can get spendy, but if you are tacking this issue for long-term function and looks, it would behoove you to investigate the possibility of changing the things that can be changed.

Does the footprint work? Could it function better? Could it look better?

It took me awhile to feel that as the owner of the home, I could look at things like walls as mere suggestions, and I didn't have to live with the decisions made by other people.

• bpath
    8 years ago

If you take out that one wall, there is still the issue of where to place the bed. Do you have measurements or a floor plan of the suite?

I wonder...what if you actually extended the right-hand wall, and moved the doorway to the left? Then you could place the bed with the head against the wall.

Or...how long is the wall between the bedroom door and the little niche? Is it long enough to be a doorway, and close up the existing doorway? From the way light falls, it looks like there is a door to another bedroom just to the left of the MBR door, is that right?

• lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

What is the exterior of the house? Could you close up windows and just make a long horizontal one above the bed area? or go with the whole wall draped as yaya suggested. I think someone posted pictures of this done in another thread some time ago.

• jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. These are some good suggestions to get me thinking. The exterior is just wood siding (probably to be replaced in near future with with hardiplank). I didn't really consider moving the window. A relocated/bigger window would let some much needed light in. The curtain track could serve as a temporary fix until I get to the window.

• olychick
    8 years ago

Here is another thread from a couple of years ago with the same problem. Lots of ideas, not sure if any will work for you...
    window next to wall

jentsu926 thanked olychick
  • jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! I really needed a visual for the curtain method.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH