Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justinmallred

Slide-in Range Top IKEA cabinet hack?

justinmallred
8 years ago

We are leaning towards an IKEA kitchen, but have some open concerns about compatibility with our appliances.

We have a Dacor 36" slide in, front control, Range Top. Since IKEA doesn't offer a range top they don't produce a cabinet to accommodate one.

Has anyone out there developed a solution/hack for this?

Comments (7)

• beachem
    8 years ago

Just cut down a cabinet. Use pocket screws to fasten a full top across the top for support.

You can also buy just a range cabinet from somewhere else and get matching drawer fronts.

• jenswrens
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We hacked down both our sink base and a base for our Thermador rangetop. Step-by-step details with photos are here if you're interested. (www.jenswrens.com)

I know nothing about the new Sektion line but would assume it is similar enough to Akurum for this to work. The rangetop is not nearly as heavy as the sink, so we didn't do a lot of heavy support on that one like we did for the sink. Just two small boards across the top. Both sink and rangetop have held up perfectly fine, with heavy use for several years.

Here's an old photo of the rangetop. (Two custom stainless steel drawers beneath.)

• Lisa
    8 years ago

We recently ordered the 36" cooktop cabinet and we are planning on getting a 36" KitchenAid Rangetop for our kitchen. I had not really thought about if there will be any problems making this work or not.

I'm hoping/assuming we can just make it work. Instead of a drawer at the top like we would have with a cooktop, we are planning on just using a flat panel at the top of the cabinet. I hope it works! Well, we will make it work somehow. Hopefully it will look good.

• katbent
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but hoping for some advice from those of you who may have accomplished this. The range top I'm looking at is this one from Thor Kitchen and we plan to install on a wall cabinet (not on an island).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Thor-Kitchen-36-in-Gas-Cooktop-in-Stainless-Steel-with-6-Burners-HRT3618U/300795394

I think I'm ok on how we will modify the front of the cabinet, support it, etc, but I'm stuck on the back: From the instructions, it looks like it is designed to slide in, all the way to the back wall - see page 9, indicates 0" on the back & on page 12, it shows no back to the cabinet where it slides in: https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/c6/c682f203-5e81-4211-91ac-3e181bee620a.pdf 

Therefore it looks like I would have to remove the back top rail of the cabinet and so wouldn't be able to hang the cabinet on the wall with the Ikea rail system. Do you think I am interpreting the instructions right? Unfortunately I haven't ordered it yet to take a look physically.

I am wondering if any of your range tops installed this way, and if so, how did you install them with Ikea cabinets? Or was your range top (and maybe most?) designed to leave a gap (e.g. of countertop) between it and the wall? Any pictures of whats going on at the back, between the cooktop & wall would be helpful! I've looked at tons of photos with range tops and the angle never lets you see that part. Thanks!

• katbent
    6 years ago

Thanks Gennifer, that's very helpful!

I think I'll just have to order the range and see what it looks like at the back. Worst case, if it turns out we can't hang the cabinet, we can probably just build a pedestal and attach the cabinet to it & the floor like we will do for our island cabinets. It would be a bit harder to level everything but should be doable.

• Lisa
    6 years ago

@katbent,

Looking at the pictures it seems like your rangetop is set up differently than our KitchenAid. Ours has lips on the sides and the countertop goes underneath it 3/4". Basically the countertop extends to the sides of our rangetop cabinet, so the opening for the countertop is actually 34.5" wide, not 36".

At the back of the cabinet, we could not slide the rangetop all the way to wall. There was a gap there and if you could get your head back there you would see the cabinet rail. We bought a back guard which covered up the gap perfectly.

We did not modify the cabinet in any way if I remember correctly. We did have to cut out a little notch from the middle drawer to make room for the gas line, but otherwise having 2 10" drawers underneath and some filler above worked well.

The pictures of your rangetop look like it comes with a very short backguard, so maybe yours will handle that gap likes our did.

I thought I had a picture of that gap, but I can't find it. Here is a closeup of the backguard.

It was hard to figure out what we needed to do before we had the rangetop in our hands. So yeah, it will help to get it so you can see what you are dealing with. I looked at the instructions on your link, but they are never detailed enough!