Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcowen0

Layout Help, Last Minute Doubts

Michael
8 years ago

I'm trying to finalize my plans for a renovation project.

All along, I felt pretty good about the Master Bathroom...until now.

The master bathroom has two windows side-by-side 27" off the floor and about 30x36". The overall space is about 12'x10.5'.

I really liked the idea of having a freestanding tub centered under these windows. I'm sure you've seen pictures like this:

Palmetto Bluff - Private Residence · More Info

Well, the more I think are a few problems putting the tub in that location:

1. We would only have room for a 60" vanity.
  2. There would be about 2 feet of empty space on either end of the tub.
  3. We have neighbors right outside the window so it wouldn't feel very private.

Here's the current layout:

Now I'm thinking of moving the tub to the corner so that it would feel more private and allow for a larger vanity.

Which layout do you like best, or would you totally change things?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• krmarchese
    8 years ago

Do you think the tub will interfere with the door? If not I prefer the 2nd layout. A longer vanity is worth moving the tub.

• Denitza Kotov
    8 years ago

I like the second one if the door is not an issue

• chispa
    8 years ago

Why does the shower not go wall to wall? I'm not loving either of these layouts. Are the exterior dimensions fixed?

Door to the toilet room should really open out.

• Michael
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks krmarchese and chispa. I want to make sure that the tub doesn't interfere with the door/walkway.

Chispa, the shower actually will go all the way to the wall, sorry that the drawing is confusing.

Now I'm thinking of just moving the tub down to the corner or maybe angling is slightly like in these layouts below. But will it look odd?

• Meris
    8 years ago

can you get a corner tub?

• Michael
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was thinking about a corner tub last night and actually getting excited about it...then I read that they're considered "out," use a lot of hot water, and kind of expensive. So now I'm leaning toward the freestanding tub again.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Re Chispas comment, where I live, toilet room door has to open out per code.

• chispa
    8 years ago

If you can't change the footprint, then the slightly angled tub will look fine.

Do you need a tub in this bathroom?

• Michael
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chispa, thanks for the reassurance.

I definitely don't need a tub, but DH loves to take baths, so...

I was originally really excited about the look of the tub under the windows, but I think I can make the slightly angled tub work.

Any decorating ideas to make it look more balanced with the window on one side of tub and blank wall on the other?

• mark_rachel
    8 years ago

Can you make your bathroom door a pocket door? Seems like it's going to get in the way of the other door outside of your bathroom.

• ck_squared
    8 years ago

I was going to say just move it straight down so I'm glad you made that an option. More modern that way. Don't get a corner tub. Don't waste space by making that tub angled. With it in the corner, you can put a small (not sure how long that wall space would be right there) shelf there for holding a candle, bubble bath, glass of wine, etc.

• Michael
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good call mark_rachel. I hadn't noticed that before, but the bathroom door would probably be open most of the time so it would block the closet door. I'll talk the the contractor about a pocket door.

• Michael
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks ck_squared! I'm actually going for a more traditional look as the house is from 1905 so maybe the angled would work. I do like the idea of a shelf.

• Michael
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks sjhockeyfan, I'll check with my architect about the toilet door.