Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksgreenman

By George, I think I (finally) have it.

ksgreenman
8 years ago

I'm not sure this rose is old enough to qualify for posting on this forum or not, but since I'm mostly an old rose fan thought I would do it here anyway.

I've wanted this rose since I first read about it on the old Vintage Gardens website at least five years ago. Unfortunately, I never caught it in stock there. There _was_, however, another on-line nursery that did list it, though they too did not have it in stock. I put myself on their waiting list, and at the end of that year they said they had it. I paid the extra fee for buying it, asked them to send it the next spring, and they did. When it bloomed however, it was some pink hybrid tea looking thing, so I told them it was the wrong rose, they sent another, which when _it_ bloomed, was the same wrong rose.

At this point I was frustrated, and also realizing I was going to be moving soon, so gave up on it for awhile. This spring, I noticed the same nursery had it listed in stock. I gave them another chance, ordered it again. There was already a bud on it, which is now almost open. And, (fingers crossed) it really looks like the right rose. So, after five years, and on the third order attempt, here at last is Catalonia.

Comments (10)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago

Good luck! I think I see a hint of yellow at the base, which is a good sign. I kinda thought this one had a yellow reverse, but maybe that's variable.

I got 'Gruss an Coburg' last year as my first Pernetiana. Then I looked into them more, and was intrigued. I have a few coming from Burlington Roses this year, and they'll remain pot-pets. 'Catalonia' was one I considered, but then I started ordering things for my cemetery project, and so I decided "no more for me until I get these in the ground." Please do keep us updated as the bloom opens, and through the season as the plant grows.

:-)

~Christopher

• jacqueline9CA
    8 years ago

If you look up Catalonia on HMF, it might explain the confusion. Evidently there are two roses of that same name, one introduced by Dot (pere) in 1931 - that is the one above. The other one was introduced by what looks like his son, also Dot, in 1982, and is a modern orange HT. Why do they do this? Just to confuse us!

Jackie

• mudpie7
    8 years ago

Well it looks like your persistance paid off, rare beautiful coloring. Over the last few days I was thinking that intensity of red orange coral is what my garden does not have. I am in search of the just right reddish orange rose, and by george you may have found it for me. Have you seen the seed parent shot silk ? Someday I would like to see it's silky blooms.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago

Oooh, I have 'Condessa de Sastago' coming next week from Burlington Roses. The other Pernetianas I ordered from her are 'Lady Forteviot', 'Padre', 'President Herbert Hoover', and 'Talisman'. I made a list, but being as I'm in NJ, I wanted to see exactly how bad Pernetianas are before I get more. All will be pot-pets, so hopefully that treatment will get them vigorous enough to fight off blackspot. Apparently, I lucked out by starting with 'Gruss an Coburg', being as that one is often touted as one of the healthiest of the clan.

:-)

~Christopher

• ksgreenman
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For me, the Condessa is just a bit more vigorous and has a bit less blackspot than Gruss an Coberg does, but they both are healthier than many of the hybrid teas that are twenty or thirty years younger than them. On the other hand, in the past I had the ancestor of all pernetianas, Soleil d'Or, and boy howdy, even with the best pot pet care, i could only keep it alive for three years. You know how blackspot is supposed to go dormant when temperatures go above 85 degrees for three days in a row? Well, that doesn't work on Soleil d'Or. Continuous blackspot, only a few blooms in the spring. They were spectacular though..maybe I could grow it as an annual?

Okay, I had to dig thru my hard drive for these, but here they are... I think this was the second summer...

• mudpie7
    8 years ago

Madame Edouard Herriot and Heinrich Wendland are a few more I love the color of.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    8 years ago

Well, 'Catalonia' is certainly handsome -- congratulations -- as is 'Condesa de Santiago'. I am a total sucker for gold/yellow reverses on orange petals. There is something to be said for vigor on own roots with this group. I loved the flowers of 'Duquesa de Penaranda', but the plant just would not get going for me (4 years of staying virtually the same tiny size), and was eventually killed by ants, of all things.

'Gruss an Coburg' is pretty vigorous -- bush in photo below, taken today, is 6' tall, own-root, and I cut it back regularly. Another great one is 'Etoile de Feu' (about 3' after 3 years) but it is quite susceptible to blackspot -- photos below from later in a previous season, as it is currently "indisposed" due to rampant blackspot (though blooming, as always, like a champ). I have a found rose, apparently a Pernetiana, "Lundy's Lane Yellow", that is very vigorous on its own roots (goes to 7' in a season) and hardly susceptible to blackspot at all, it seems. Sadly out of commerce and not quite in bloom yet -- I am planning to do a "study" of it on HMF when it is ready -- a very worthy rose.

P.S. Pernetiana fever is a good thing -- they deserve some attention!

'Gruss an Coburg', today:

'Etoile de Feu', June 2014:

Now deceased, 'Duquesa de Penaranda' 2013 (the flowers were large, 5.5"-- ridiculous on such a small bush)

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    8 years ago

Thanks, all, for raising the fever...

• ksgreenman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Last night as it had opened a bit further it was looking a bit like the Condesa, but this morning it had quite a different shape. The fragrance had changed overnight as well, still not terribly strong but more complex. RVR rates it as five fs, their strongest fragrance rating, but at the moment I would give it a moderate one. Of course I know that fragrance changes with climate and the growing conditions of the rose, so am looking forward to how it changes as the rose matures.

the color in real life is a bit deeper than it appears on camera...

So, now that I know the rose is actually Catalonia, I went ahead and ordered El Catala, the rose Griffith Buck created as a tribute for Pedro Dot, who had been something of a mentor for him. Always thought I would do that if I got Catalonia, but waited until then because El Catala didn't seem to be that special except for the historical value...Maybe it will prove me wrong, Buck's roses often surprise me.