Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

My first daylily for the season bloomed

Nancy
7 years ago

Dumortieri bloomed a few days ago, it has been raining & I did'nt get a pic til today

Peony Do Tell

Iris Bed, front iris is Barbara My Love with Habit just behind

First time this peony has bloomed, don't know the name of it though

Clump of Innocent Star iris

Coral sunset Peony

Comments (14)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    7 years ago

Hurray! Finally some blooms to see. Thanks for sharing, it will be awhile til I see blooms here. Love your iris!

Sherry

• organic_kitten
    7 years ago

Beautiful,Nancy. I had only one peony that had more than one bloom after the too warm winter here. Your iris are beautiful!

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    7 years ago

Your iris are very pretty with the color combinations. The peonies look great too. Been raining here too on and off for the past couple of days. Rains, sun comes out and then it goes back to raining. Today it dried out just a bit but they are forecasting more rain for the next couple of days. I guess it is better than being so dry and hot.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks everyone! It has been a nice year for the peonies. Some are pretty new, but more blooms than I expect from them. I have Coral Sunset and Coral Charm, both only had 1 bloom per stalk, huge blooms though. I wonder if that is normal for them, most of my peonies tend to have several buds per stalk-most smaller of course.

Rainy here too Julia, right now it is nice and sunny, but more rain predicted to start in a couple of hours & I think continue raining tomorrow. Chilly too. At least that has slowed down the iris a bit. I'm seeing more scapes on daylilies every day.

By the way, if anyone needs any bearded iris, let me know!

• mantis__oh
    7 years ago

I actually prefer when there aren't side buds. Coral Sunset does sometimes have more than one bud per stem. The iris are especially nice in overcast weather. After a long period of dryness, I have no complaints about this rainy period, which we should have had in April. And I see the National Weather Service is forecasting a hot, dry summer. Habit is very handsome, and your first daylily seems to have a very waxy texture.

• rosiewells7b
    7 years ago

Nancy,

Thank you so much for you lovely pictures. I'm saving some of them for inspiration :). I really love how you have masses of your irises planted together. And your peonies are just as lovely. I've just started collecting irises and always love seeing them in "real" gardens. The purple, pink and white bearded iris is a must-add for me!

• Nancy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know some people nip off the side buds to get larger flowers, & those large flowers are definitely impressive. Especially if you put them in an arrangement. I got so many complements on Bartzella & Coral Sunset. Coral and yellow peonies are never seen around here, & nothing that big. Yeah, I know we need the rain, & really hasn't been too bad. So far we haven't had the heavy storms we get lots of years that blow the petals off peonies & knock iris to the ground. And there have been plenty of gaps where I can at least walk around & look, although too muddy to do much. But watch the weeds grow.

• Nan
    7 years ago

Hi Nancy, I would love to get any of your beautiful Iris if you have any to spare...please let me know so I can send you postage.. Thanks...

• Nancy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Can you message me? or give me your email address?

• Nan
    7 years ago

sure I will send you a message !

• Nancy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nan, I got your message & replied. I think your page is not set up to receive messages, I'll try to call you later.

• Nan
    7 years ago

Got your message and reply it but you can call me too...that would be fun !

• jean_ar
    7 years ago

wow, very pretty, I have never had good results with peonies. never liked iris till I got a pretty blue one and a black one, so now I like them, but, moved close to daughters and this soil here is like cement, cant plant anything in the ground so everything has to grow in pots.. can not dig no kind of hole to plant anything.I even tried to dig a hole with s hatchet with no luck at all. a grown grandson tried to dig me a hole and could not get it over a inch deep, so forget planting anything, unless its in a pot.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jean, the good thing about iris, they don't like to be planted deep, & don't require lots of water. I plant the rhizomes with the top sticking above the ground. I've dropped rhizomes & they have rooted on top of the ground & done well.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!