Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_yu36

Cost of wallpaper these days? wanting to put in french powder room ++

C Y
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

hi all, i am intersted in putting some sort of french-inspired wallpaper in my powder room. see picture below and mirror, any suggestions on design and color? i see a brand called Thibaut, but have no idea how much their wallpaper costs vs Lowes choices for $35 avg. is there a big difference? i do like the ones with the gold design. Can someone guide me how to go about this?

something like these - i LOVE these following 3... anyone know who makes these?

French Elegance · More Info

my powder room

with this mirror (first one)

Comments (17)

• sandradclark
    7 years ago

A powder room is the perfect room for pizzazz such as wallpaper. Even if it is just the top half of the room. Easier to do just the top half. Bathrooms per se are among the most difficult rooms to hang paper in.

C Y thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    Koroknay Design
    7 years ago

A powder room is a wet unit. It is damp and even wet sometimes. It is not suited to wallpaper. In Europe, most powder rooms are simply off-white eggshell finish, for easy cleaning. It's not a reception area!

C Y thanked Koroknay Design
  • C Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all, can anyone ID those wallpapers? How much is thibaut?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Koroknay, in the US, powder rooms are simply a toilet and sink and are typically for guests so the rooms are often quite decorative.

C Y thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • C Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Do you think the first two are wallpaper or stencil?

• PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    7 years ago

Thibaut is a wall paper out of England. It ranges about $120 per roll and is package as double rolls. It has a paper back so if you have a lot of texture on the wall, you may want to have the installer put down what is called "blank stock" it creates a better adhesion to the wall and cuts the wall texture by about 50% or a bit more. I have used wall paper in many Powder Rooms and it has been fine in a wet room. Just be mindful of where the user will go to dry their hands and if that is a small wall hung towel ring or bar. I have done two French inspired Powder Rooms, one is hand painted and the other is wall paper so you can get an idea of the difference.

C Y thanked Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
  • C Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lauren- wow beautiful work! I love that second one. Wow 120 is a lot! How much does a roll cover, I have no idea how much I'll need. Can you recommend a wallpaper line I should look at for French inspired designs? Thanks so much

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

CY, It would be advisable that you visit a wallpaper store. The staff there will be able to direct you books for you to view. and if you bring in all your measurements, and that means the width of the room, the length of the room and the height of the room, they can figure out how much wallpaper is required depending on what you select. Do NOT deduct for toilet or vanity.

For example, this wallpaper with the large pattern

will require more wallpaper to match the repeat than this wallpaper with the smaller pattern repeat.

C Y thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • C Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you beverly! thanks for your tip- so a smaller design will require less wallpaper? going to the store tomorrow. any idea on average how much someone will charge to put up wallpaper? thanks!!!

• Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    Love the metallic grasscloth wallpaper, very grand
    C Y thanked Irene Morresey
  • C Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

blen- those are lovely, but i am looking something thats french inspired.

• asongforxx
    7 years ago

A little off topic, but you might want to consider placing the wallpaper only in the alcove and then paint the main area with a complementary color. It would add a ton of drama and you would also save on wallpaper costs, so you could go with something more expensive if you wanted.

Or, conversely, you could put the wallpaper in the main room and then paint the alcove something dark and dramatic. Imagine a gold metallic french inspired paper in the main room, with a glossy dark purple in the alcove (for example).

Then, you could use that empty space for some gold framed artwork that would complement the paper and pull everything together.

C Y thanked asongforxx
  • C Y
    Original Author
    7 years ago

asongfoxx-- that sounds like a wonderful idea!!!! i was a little concerned that it might be a little too much wallpaper. do you have an images as a example? should i pick wallpaper first, or the color?

or perhaps option c) pick a wallpaper and put in either main vs alcove- and color match alcove vs main and accent with gold decor ?? or even d) wall paper on mirror wall only, and color match to paint rest of the walls?? help me decide!

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

Paint can be made to match anything, so pick wallpaper first. There is such a thing as coordinating wallpapers. Some people use both in a room. Your powder room might be too small for that though. You will see what I mean when you are looking through the wallpaper books.

C Y thanked emmarene9
  • asongforxx
    7 years ago

Pick the wallpaper first for sure! The paint and decorations can be matched afterwards.

• PRO
    Marbé DESIGNS, Inc.
    7 years ago

Hi There! thanks for your post, it is quite informative. I'm in Interior Designer based in Los Angeles. We are doing a Powder room now, and our client absolutely loved the Gold Leaf "wallpaper". Would you kindly let me know if it is an actual wallpaper, and where to find it, or the vendor? We are really appreciate your help.
    Best,
    Marbe.