Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeserfen

Japanese maple bloodgood

Josh Rodenberg
7 years ago

Hello,

I planted a japanese maple 'bloodgood' last year. It has no leaves on it yet, but a lot of buds. Most of the buds are grey/black though except for just a few, which are a yellow/reddish color. I scratched the bark just a little and the tree seems to be alive. We did have a couple late april frosts this year, so should I just be patient? My camera won't focus very well on the little branches but I can snap a picture if needed.

Comments (13)

• User
    7 years ago

Approximately, where on earth are you located?

P.S., Mine is now in full leaf (NJ/Zone 7).

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Zone 6, southern Illinois

• User
    7 years ago

Have other deciduous trees leafed out in your area? My Bloodgood leafed out fully at approximately the same time as the other Maples (and April and early May so far offered chilly and overcast weather). What about its sun exposure, is it shaded?

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Everything else is leafed out already, but I've never had a Japanese maple and I was hoping it was just a late starter.

• User
    7 years ago

Japanese maples are tricky trees - they sulk at a slight breeze, and shrivel in sun...and frosts can be a brutal test for them as well. The red-leaved ones are fussy while the very dissected leaf types are the absolute divas of the tree world. If you decide to persist with this tribe, maybe avoid some of the more awkward ones and try the vastly more reliable coral bark Sango Kaku instead.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"Most of the buds are grey/black though except for just a few"

doesn't sound good but you should give it more time.

"The red-leaved ones are fussy while the very dissected leaf types are the absolute divas of the tree world."

Considering both of these forms self-seed with abandon in my garden - and survive complete neglect as small plants - I'd argue things are different in a humid, rainy, warm temperate/continental climate. Like real estate it's all location, location, location. Absolute divas for me are, for example, Eucryphias.

• User
    7 years ago

I agree with David. I do not in the least find them remotely fussy, I do absolutely nothing for my Bloodgood (no feeding, pruning, watering, etc.) and it absolutely thrives here in NJ Zone 7 (humid/temperate/hot/wet Summer climate). Mine has gone through ..., two hurricanes, flood waters, drought, and a temperature range from 0 to 108 F..., never any issues..., none.. Location, location, location.

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you gardengal. I've been patiently waiting to see what happens as it looks like some of the buds were damaged and it has some die back; the buds lowest on the tree appear healthy so I will keep on waiting. It's in a nice sunny spot. We are into May now though.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    7 years ago

In a good site these tolerate my zone 6 just fine. None I have had really like full sun here though. I have a couple which just looked like crud by August if that counts as sun tolerant lol. Both livened up when I moved them to more shade after a couple years. Maybe in the Cloudy and overcast areas they can be planted in the middle of a field and grow well.

Cold doesn't seem to phase mine though. Maybe a twig or two on Purple Ghost and Higayasayma (spelling) but not what I would call prime new growth areas.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Both of those are reticulated forms and not at all as sun tolerant as a regular palmatum leaf. The reticulates are very close to the variegated in sun sensitivity and neither type is recommended for a full sun condition, even up here in the land of cool summers and lower sun intensity :-)) There are various listings of cultivars for full sun locations, even in very hot climates like SoCal and Texas, and they almost entirely consist of red leafed forms, both dissecturms and broadleaf cultivars. However, any JM appreciates a bit of shady relief and if given a choice between full sun and part shade, they would all pick the partial shade location!

• jalcon
    7 years ago

Considering 1/3 of residential houses have a healthy Bloodgood in the yard..I'd hardly call it a "fussy akward" one lol

• brigite22
    7 years ago

I planted a tiny Bloodgood a couple of years ago in my front yard (Massachusetts zone 6a). It had a tough time getting through the horrible winter we had in 2014/2015 and I was afraid it was dead. However it has proven to be a tough cookie and is looking much better this year. It is fully leafed out and is showing some new growth too. It sounds like your tree has a bit of damage but I wouldn't be surprised if it rebounded over the next year!