Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbduke0330

Pepper plants stunted

rbduke0330
7 years ago

This is my first year growing in containers but I have many 5 gallon buckets filled with horse manure. I started most of my plants in April and have just recently moved them outside to their containers. During the day it's in the low 80's and at night around 55. The plants get around 8+ hours of light a day and I cannot get my pepper plants to grow over about 2.5-3 inches tall. Same with some of my tomato plants. One of my tomatoes is taking off while the others are lagging behind and not one of my pepper plants is grown past about 2.5 inches tall. I'm just confused I've never had a problem like this in the past.

Comments (9)

• mblan13
    7 years ago

100% manure? I'd say maybe pockets of the manure might not aged well enough and are burning roots? Inadequate drainage? Perhaps you could add pine fines and or grit to increase drainage. Maybe one of the horses ate grass with pesticide...or were sneaking cheeseburgers after dark?

Did you harden them off properly before placing them out in the harsh sun?

rbduke0330 thanked mblan13
  • greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

You're growing in horse manure? If so, there's no question that the lack of foliage growth is connected to a lack of root growth.

Your weather is virtually the same as mine, temperature wise, and your plants should be growing...at least a little bit. Could also be that you potted them into large containers too soon.

Josh

rbduke0330 thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • rbduke0330
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just checked plants tonight and there were tons of what looked like centipedes all about half and inch to 3/4 of an inch long could they be eating roots? Or how can I encourage root growth?

• rbduke0330
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also there is not problem with weeds or any other plants growing. ( my tomatoes are starting to take off) weeds don't even have a problem growing in these pots. Just the peppers have problems.

• rbduke0330
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also this is very old manure who I got it from said it was many months old and then I lit it age in the pots for a few more months it was full of worms when we got it

• purslanegarden
    7 years ago

Considering it's a plant that will come back with some TLC, why don't you pull up a pepper plant or two to check the roots. Compare with a tomato.

Just examine them and put them back in and water well. We can get a better data collection by knowing the root formation.

rbduke0330 thanked purslanegarden
  • greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Composted manure that has been further aged in pots will be prone to compaction and lack of aeration, both of which will impede root growth.

Josh

rbduke0330 thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • rbduke0330
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks guys I've been using miracle grow and they are starting to come to life I think my problem is that they are in peat cups and are having trouble rooting through them once they do they take off