Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randee_murray_green

Mid century modern project

Need ideas for exterior. Paint colors, should I cover the rock and front door color? Any suggestions ? Or do I just leave it?

Comments (12)

• handymam
    11 years ago
    Please do not paint over the rock! This is a very beautiful house. Have you looked up mid-century homes in the ideabooks? You will find lots of examples and color schemes there. You can save them all in your own ideabook and decide later.
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    Beautiful house. Not only would I keep the rock, I'd rip out those hedges so more of it is exposed. You can do more natural plantings and still retain the great mid-century vibe. This house deserves a landscape architect or designer. It's going to be fab!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree, this house has great curb appeal. If possible add some windows.
  • PRO
    Steven Corley Randel, Architect
    11 years ago
    Hi Randy, I love your house! The stone is beautiful and I would emphasize it. I think the hedge along the front is OK but you could take it out and plant flower beds for seasonal color. I can't see the front door well enough to make a suggestion there. Are you wanting to paint the trim? Colors that compliment the stone would be best. Are you in Texas? Possibly Austin? Let me know if I can help more.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    This is an amazing house! I agree with groveraxle - what it needs more than anything is a knowledgeable landscape designer who understands the midcentury look.
  • visualizemaven
    11 years ago
    Sounds like we r all dying to Help you with this fab house! Love it! If u are open to pushing it, I would consider two options. One is to paint all the dark brown white. Front door orange. Another option is to paint the planes 2 different colors perhaps orange And lime green with a blue door. Use the color palate from mid century classics. Oh what fun!
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    What a gorgeous house. The only thing it really needs is landscaping. I'd probably eliminate the straight edge hedges, and put in something that contrasts with the angularity of the house-- something softer and looser ( tall grasses maybe?). You could paint the door with a pop of color (teal or that nice gold color in the photo above?). But you sure don't have to do anything. Really beautiful.
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful gem - a mid-century estate, really.

I like the gray, but next time I would leave the beams and eaves charcoal and paint the siding and window / door trim out a gray closer to pearl gray - a mid-tone that echoes the tone of middle gray in the stones. Whenever you paint the body back to a mid-tone gray, leave / redo the beam ends and eaves in a dark earthy charcoal.

You've already got doors that are true to mid-century design - if you want a change, a pair like this hipper choice http://www.crestviewdoors.com/order/crestview-doors-and-entry-systems/fontenot-door.html would be amazing. Some people love to pop their mid-century doors with bright colors. If you did, sunshine yellow or periwinkle blue would be my picks against the gray. There could also be fun with a citrus green. In this scale, however, I like double doors in a more classic tone. Here, I'd match the charcoal on the beams and eaves, it will stand out against the pearl gray body. Just use a high gloss for the front door so it sparkles a bit.

The contemporary lighting and numbers at the house are great. Some attention to landscaping could add another layer - but it should be minimal. With midcentury you want architectural plants and to mix greens, green grays, silvers - layers of shapes and colors that are masses. I think the evergreen hedges show the house off to very good form - and are just about the right height in this picture for the scale (no higher though for certain - 8" lower would be perfect).

You might just cut a band out of the grass in front of the circle drive and add low masses of silvery green 2' high all the way around the curve. Just inside the edger, add a lot of black river rock to found the beds. If you have any sort of tree in the front area behind the photographer, add a large boulder to the base that is the same color as the house stone and add a mass of accent plants with odd architecture (you aren't in the right zone for the kangaroo paw succulent that comes to mind, but you'll find something local that would be just right).
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    Leave the rock. Just get a bright colored front door in coral or the right shade of orange....or even a great teal. New house numbers that are modern. Great place .
  • PRO
    Dullea and Associates Inc.
    11 years ago
    You have a great house! Find a color that complements the stone. Hire someone to help you select a color if you are uncomfortable doing so. It will not be expensive and you will save a lot of time. Please post photos after you have everything finished. Best of luck!
  • texgirl101
    11 years ago
    I grew up playing in the street where this house is located and the photo on the discussion board grabbed my attention. I have always loved this house. One of the most awesome in our town. Can't wait to drive by and see what you have done with it!