Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfrench200

Streaked or not?

dfrench200 (7a)
7 years ago

Hello All,

Just received an order from LOTG and need your opinion. I ordered Brother Stefan, Warwick Comet, and Foxfire Divine Winds. All looked very healthy and lots of roots but I am concerned now about Foxfire Divine Winds. Firstly it looks a little droopy and it hasn't perked up much since planting. The next concern is the streaking, or lack there of. I've attached a couple of photos and it doesn't look streaked at all to me. I know the color take some time to come in but I don't see it every becoming streaked... What do you think? Should I ask for a replacement or be patient?

Hosta photos · More Info

Hosta photos · More Info

Comments (13)

• bkay2000
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It seems to me that once they wilt, they are wilted for the season. You may be able to soak it enough to get it to perk up, but probably not. Look at Ken's old post on moving fully leafed out hosta. If it were taped, it would have had a better chance of standing up. The last order I received from LOTG was wrapped in (kraft?) paper. The paper had sucked all the moisture out of the hosta. Both hosta were wilted for the season, even after soaking several days. They were fine the next year.

I know nothing about the streaking - can't help you there.

bk

• zkathy z7a NC
    7 years ago

Ditto on what bk said. Your new leaf looks like it's coming in ok. Maybe you could give it some plant crack (fertilizer) and it'll look ok when it fills out.

• don_in_colorado
    7 years ago

DFrench, if you can see the painters (masking) tape on the plant on the left, it keeps the petioles propped up quite well. You may still get it to perk back up using this method, originally taught to us by Ken. Could be a 50/50 chance, but it still might help "fix" a wilted plant. I'd still try it. As your plant has already wilted, I would put the tape a little higher up on the stems, or even put it on both high and low on the plant. I'd e-mail or call Jeff at LOTG and ask him about the streaks/lack of streaks on this plant, and see what he says. Good luck!

• woodnative
    7 years ago

Nice looking plants. I am not familiar with Foxfire Divine Winds but looking at the descriptions it is not a streaked Hosta, is it? One major website seems to show a photo of a streaked version of this plant (?) which is confusing as the description and other photos I see of it are not streaked(?).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

get them taped ASAP

ken

• dfrench200 (7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ill tape them right away, thanks for the advice!! Woodnative: attached is the photo that was on their website and what is on Hosta Library, so I was certainly expecting a streaked hosta when I ordered it!

Hosta photos · More Info

• mrhosta
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello, this is Jeff from Lotghf. The plant you got is Foxfire DivineWinds. The plant I got was Foxfires big plant of Divinewinds. It does not have the streaked in the picture, the description I have in the description does not mention streaks. The plant you have is the right plant. I will refund your money if it helps. I will also take the picture off the website as it is not worthy picture that my Web lady put up. Sorry for any confusion. Glad you are taping it up, Jeff

• dfrench200 (7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jeff, thank you so much for the quick response and great customer service! I have always received healthy plants from you and you have always responded quickly to my questions. Thanks again.

• mrhosta
    7 years ago

Your very welcome and thank you.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    7 years ago

Hey Jeff, as long as you're here - when are you introducing the plant that took second place variegated at the Dubuque convention? And do you have a name yet? Thought it was gorgeous.

• mrhosta
    7 years ago

The one that took 2nd place it is not in production but planted in the gardens. Will see in a few years. Thank you

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    7 years ago

First was very nice, but I liked the vibrance of 2nd place even more. Maybe not as big and full, but what color!

Nice to hear you named first place after your wife.