Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zachdesign123

HELP! First Time Decorating and Odd Shaped Rooms!

Zach
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello everyone!

I really hope you all can help me. I am really excited! This is the first time I am getting my own apartment, and I would like to decorate it tastefully. Additionally, the living room is an odd trapezoid shape, and the bathroom is really large and I do not know what to do with the space. I have attached the floor plan and the picture of the kitchen. The kitchen has odd colored cabinets. All the floors are polished concrete. The apartment has really high ceilings (about 13 to 15 feet).

Personally, I like modern, straight lines, uncluttered look. I have a black leather futon/sofa, a dark wood and metal TV stand, and a couple really nice black barstools. I have a dark wood and faux leather bed. And a large dark cherry colored desk. Thats basically all the furniture I own.

If you look on the floor plan, there is an odd little four foot space to the right of the stove. I was thinking about getting a little square table to use with my barstools and pushing the table against the corner right corner and having my two barstools there so you can see out the massive floor to ceiling windows (pool!). The black thing by the sharp corner is a rectangular pillar. In the corner by the pillar and window I was thinking about putting a plant or something and my TV in front of it.

I have no idea how to place living room furniture. Also, there is an odd space beside the fridge. I was thinking about putting my desk all the way in the back wall of the living room, but I am not sure if it is appropriate there.

The bathroom is also very large. It has off-white tile and everything else is white inside. I have no idea what to put in the bathroom. The bathroom is bigger than my current bedroom. Figuring out my bedroom is also something I want to do, but I think less complex to me than the bathroom and living room/kitchen situation. Thank you!

Comments (52)

• Kim
    7 years ago

How about a storage armoire in the bathroom for linens and supplies?

• Kim
    7 years ago

• Kim
    7 years ago

Sorry, that pic I sent is a wall cabinet. But something like that in a larger size to store towels and toiletries is what I was going for. This picture is from a restaurant, but see how the eating area is in front of the window and the "kitchen" is next to it. You could have your lounge are further back toward the wall?

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! So you are saying like having the couch in the middle, the TV on the bottom wall away from the kitchen and a narrow and wide dinette in front of the window closer to the kitchen?

• Kim
    7 years ago

Yes, something like that. More pictures of the space would be helpful for scale, but configure it so that you get the best views, right? I would probably want my desk someplace where I could daydream out the window. Having the eating area close to the kitchen allows you and your guests someplace to congregate while preparing food.

Zach thanked Kim
  • Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Unfortunately I don't like there yet so I don't have pictures. Just got that off of the leasing company's website. Someone else still lives there.

• Kim
    7 years ago

Well, this is definitely an exciting time for you and a cool apartment. There are some very talented people on this website who can help you. I'll check back with you tomorrow to see if you are getting other ideas.

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! What do you think about those cabinets. I dislike them a lot. And they don't go all the way across, neither does the backsplash. Any thoughts? I was thinking about using contact paper to change the color maybe. Not sure.

• Carol Johnson
    7 years ago
    It's too bad they didn't finish the kitchen with more cabinets & backsplash tile. I'd really like it if it was finished.
    Zach thanked Carol Johnson
  • Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! Any idea on how to improve that?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Is it possible to contact the person who'd know the tile used? It would seem nice over the stove.... ?!

Zach thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

I don't mind your exotic-looking cabinets - but if you really don't like them, I'd say try to dilute their 'influence' by using the same tone of wood but more to your liking... would that be a reclaimed wood, or what?

Throw in a chrome lamp cause it's open to LR.... merely a quick ....but the wood is warm like cabinets...

Tripod Floor Lamp, With Lamp Shade, Edison Bulb · More Info

Zach thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Ariana Designs LLC
    7 years ago
    I would definitely tile above the stove and finish it off with floating shelving.
    Zach thanked Ariana Designs LLC
  • Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@everdebz what do you mean by "open to LR"?

• Kim
    7 years ago

Hi Zach. LR means living room. I thought some more about placement of things in your apartment. Based on the measurements, you could put a tall table (4'2"?) to go with your stools in the kitchen situated like an island, so you can use it for food prep and conversation. You could put your desk in the area to the right of the stove, your tv to the left of the fridge, and your futon angled in the corner where the bottom wall meets the windows.

• Kim
    7 years ago

Sorry, for the table, I meant 4' long X 2' wide and maybe 3' tall.

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Creative Spaces Do you know if there is a way to tile it which makes it removable without leaving damage? The apartment doesn't really allow modifications like that. That wall is painted brick, I wonder if that has to do something with them not tiling it? Can you tile on top of brick?

• Kim
    7 years ago

Here are some tables and artwork ideas. You could hang something on the blank wall above the sink.

And, my favorite...

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kim, the issue with that is that my desk will never fit in that space, and the TV stand really won't fit beside the fridge either, but maybe it could work. I can always move my desk to my bedroom if need be. I have some pictures how that would look. First with no desk, and the second with the desk by the window. Thoughts?

• Kim
    7 years ago

You weren't kidding when you said you had a big desk! I like you're second layout with the desk in front of the window. And what a great idea to put a plant in the corner. Sorry the tv is a little big in that space, but do you think you could live with it?

• Kim
    7 years ago

Zach, it is possible the backsplash used in your apartment is the peel and stick kind.

Or you could use a gray or black chalkboard paint:

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I could live with it. I need a big desk to study!

Here are some of the other ideas that I have considered or we have talked about.

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ooh I actually emailed the company that built the apartment to ask them about where the tiles came from, so lets see if they respond. Thank you for looking that up!

• Kim
    7 years ago

Some things to think about...

Where will you plug in the tv and are you concerned about exposed wiring? Not sure which direction the window faces, but there could be a glare on the tv depending on where it is situated. Do you think there is truly enough space for a table and two stools in the area next to the stove? Do you expect to use the table and stools often or will you mostly eat at your desk or couch?

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The outlets for the TV are by where I put the plant. I am not too concerned about the wires, I can route them around the room and hide them. The glare on the TV is something that I did consider, but I am not sure how that would work. The windows face NNE. Also, the swimming pool is only a few feet from the windows, so I do not know how they will reflect into the apartment either.

I do think there is enough space because the table in the picture is a bit bigger than what I was planning on getting, and I probably won't be using that table often, I will most likely eat at the couch.

• Kim
    7 years ago

Just looking at the graphics, I still kind of like the one with the dining furniture in the kitchen as an island, but the tv placement is a bummer. Plus, it could be annoying having people walking in front of the tv every time they needed to go somewhere else in the apartment. Otherwise, since you won't be using the barstools that much, your original plan is great. The second of the last set of graphics you sent through. I like the addition of an extra chair and end table. What about lighting?

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lighting! I have not even thought about that. I don't think there are any lights there.

I remember seeing a model apartment that the desk attached to the couch. The jut made me think of doing something like this. By putting the desk and couch together, I can spread about the rest of the living room furniture. I also replaced the table with a more appropriate size table in the kitchen. There is a bookcase on the back wall. What do you think?

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And maybe a large mirror beside the fridge so you can see the reflection of the pool and a small table underneath with a couple baskets on it to keep odd things in?

• leelee
    7 years ago

You could build a shelf that would go from the counter up refrigerator surround under the green cabinet and straight across to the far wall. It would need to be just wide enough to fit in that little indented alcove on the right of the counter. Then add a leg that comes down to the counter. Wish I could draw it for you. Adding the shelf would finish the top of the backsplash and give you some extra storage. Like this l__________l now flip it over to form a bench with really long legs.

Does that make sense? I don't think you'd even need to attach it to the wall.

• Kim
    7 years ago

I like that, too. That's one of those things you can play around with once you move in. You may have it one way for six months then try it the other for a while. That's what's fun about having your own place. You can do whatever you want! Is the bookcase tall. I just thought about how lonely it could look on a 13 foot high wall. You could also put a pantry next to the fridge if you need more storage. Or a table or basket to drop things when you get home.

• Kim
    7 years ago

I was talking about having the desk behind the couch. I didn't see leelee's comment until after I posted. I like her idea of adding shelving, though.

• Kim
    7 years ago

I just realized I assumed leelee was a female. Sorry!

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@leelee that actually makes complete sense and I actually really like that idea!

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Book case is like 7 feet tall.

I did some 3D renders. I really wish I could have had the dinette adjacent to the window, but overall I like how this looks. Opinions???

• Kim
    7 years ago

Totally love it! Don't forget to send us an invite to your housewarming party. : )

Once you get moved in, you can rearrange things to see if the dinette set will fit there. You're very good at this. Love the plants flanking the windows.

Zach thanked Kim
  • Kim
    7 years ago

I meant to ask if you are concerned with privacy. Window treatments can be pricey, but just thought I'd ask.

Zach thanked Kim
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

First thing I would do is find a vintage tiger wood dining table.

Great, great industrial space! Make that kitchen area work for you..."entertaining central".

Zach thanked JudyG Designs
  • Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The dinette may fit, I used slightly larger furniture in the pictures than what I own, that way I gave myself some cushion. The desk in the picture is 4 inches wider than mine, so is the couch and the TV stand.

I am not too concerned about privacy, but the windows come with standard blinds and roller shades, so that won't be an issue!

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@JudyG Where do you think is a good spot for that table?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Parallel to the sink.

• leelee
    7 years ago

@Zach, when you say apartment does that mean you're renting or do you own?

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@leelee I'm renting

• leelee
    7 years ago

So no big or permanent changes?

• sandradclark
    7 years ago

I'm not really fond of seeing the back of a TV. You could try something like this behind if needed. I love all of your layouts. You'll be just fine.

Uttermost Avidan 3-Panel Screen · More Info

Have a lot of fun with your new apartment.

Zach thanked sandradclark
  • Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@leelee No. But your recommendation for the shelf was great. It is something I am quite sure I will be doing. I'll use a bracket from underneath the cabinet to the left of it and either another bracket on the other side or a leg behind the pillar.

Also, I'm gonna see if I can find some kind of stick on tile to make a backsplash for the side that doesn't have it. Maybe do something with the cabinet color. Not sure.

• leelee
    7 years ago

You could try to match the paint to the green or just do white. The white might look best or even another color that you might be using in decorating.

• leelee
    7 years ago

The board for the shelf needs to be about the same width as the indented alcove on the right so it can just wedge in there then have a straight piece against the alcove wall going from the shelf to the counter in the back. Same on the other side except you won't have anything to wedge. I'm hoping the tight fit on the right will help stabilize the whole thing possibly without any brackets or screws.

• Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah I was going to cut the wood around the pillar. I think I'll use a couple brackets to make sure its secure. On the right side of the hood I'll put something else. Not too worried about that

• pat1250
    7 years ago
    Agree with Sandra.......the back of the TV is not pretty, and perhaps a bit perilously perched? A screen would certainly be of visual help. What about putting the TV where you have the proposed bookcase? Then just flip the furniture arrangement. Or does that have desk chair bumping into dinette chairs? Hmmmm.......
  • Zach
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think the desk chair will be OK but the issue will be the accent chair will create a tight area around the fridge