Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy1616

Way off topic but what's your favorite eye cream?

sandy1616
7 years ago

As many know I make soaps and skincare. I'm working on the ultimate eye cream and wondered if anyone had a fave?

Comments (69)

• sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol. You're only as old as you feel. I don't use shampoo so not the one to ask on that one. I use a shampoo bar (soap) and tea rinse on my mid back long hair. I know a few others here don't shampoo either. I think Larsi has the best hair so wait for him :).

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

+1 for limiting shampoo use. I resisted a long time -- a really long time -- thinking my hair was too oily and I'd never have good looking hair on the no-shampoo days. Now, at least every other day, I just rinse my hair in the shower. If it feels oily after drying (rarely the case) I use an oil-absorbing paste along with my hair product. Limits shine, and keeps my scalp and hair from becoming dried out. This works even in the summer when I'm biking every day and have nasty helmet head :)

And a big 'ol L-O-L to MamaP. Sitting here in my office, cracking up all alone.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

I'm waiting, I'm waiting.

Mama, Vaseline Petroleum Jelly for in between too, always.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

If you must or really want to shampoo daily, make sure your shampoo is Sulfate free and preferably free of Parabens. You can also try a Cleansing Conditioner. These do not really foam up, but lightly break up oils.

If you use daily styling products (Mousse, Gel, pomades, pastes, shine sprays or drops and hairspray), then you will need to still use a "real" shampoo 1-2x a week.

But a Cleansing Conditioner will give you that clean hair look and feel, without disturbing the acid mantle on your scalp. Loreal makes a good (non salon) option.

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo is one of my Favs! I use it several times a week!

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

larsi, do you prefer the L'oreal cleans. cond. over Wen?

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Amiees hair is so thick its very hard to rinse shampoo out..she can't hold her arms up rubbing the hair as it rinses long enough so its my job...I use kirks bar soap...it lathers beautifully but rinses completely clean very fast..only thing is its always best to do a apple cider vinegar rinse when you use Kirks..once or twice a week I use shampoo on her. The boys are shampoo'd the same way, no worries about perfumes, they bath and shampoo with Kirks and a short rinse afterwards.. Sandy instead of a vinegar rinse with Kirks can I use lemon juice? They are blondies.

A few years ago I decided to buy a coconut..I removed the meat than I went thru the process of extracting the milk..after the milk seperated I skimmed the coconut oil off and used it on Amiee and the boys for a coconut oil hair treatment...never again..never..it took forever to rinse it out. Lol..the boys drank the milk and loved every drop.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

I like Kirk's Castile soap in the summer but never thought of using it for shampoo. I will try it. I did try Aveeno Daily Moisturizing BODY WASH

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

as a shampoo and loved it. The oatmeal was as soothing on my scalp and it is on my body. (I hate it when I accidentally Submit a post!) I also like Avalon shampoos but thought someone here might have a better idea for dry scalp. Paul Mitchell will be next. Thank you kids.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

Pat I cannot recommend WEN. There are several current lawsuits claiming that WEN made their hair fall out and irritated or burned their scalp.

• sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mama - anything acidic will work instead of ACV. I use brewed green tea (chamomile for the blonds) or 1 part citric acid to 4 parts water by weight. The vinegar breaks the soap up into fats and surfactants. That's why it's so soft after. It also leaves the scalp neutral where shampoo is acidic. I only wash my hair every few days but I do a rinse and moisturize the ends daily. Not conditioner. I'd be happy to send you a soap made for hair. And an eye cream to test out. Lol

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Thank You Sandy for great info..the Chamomile tea sounds lovely, I'll have to try it out.

As for the testing of your products, Thank You I would love to test the eye cream and soap made for hair...Thank You Sandy this sounds lovely.

sandy1616 thanked mamapinky0
  • sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't see how to message on houzz. Sent email.

• whirlpool_trainee
    7 years ago

Face care for me usually means rubbing a damp towel from drying off my hands over my face. Done.

I do have some Neutrogena, um, face stuff in the shower but rarely use it. I also have a "regenerating night cream" by Nivea that, again, I hardly use. It's free of parabene, silicone, colorants and mineral oil - so it says.

sandy1616 thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Alex..Whirlpool...what do you wash your face with? What kind of soap? Something many people don't realize is soap is intensely drying and that is damaging to facial skin expecially the delicate skin around your eyes, you really need to use something even if its just Auntie Jemima's bacon grease...LOL...Seriously whatever moisterizer is around the house is better than nothing...and pat rub gently around the eyes don't stretch that skin. and no you may not use Downy.

• sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So funny. My son moisturizes, uses different face cleansers, is always willing to test products, etc. My husband used shampoo to wash his face when I met him and maybe still does. I don't ask.

• whirlpool_trainee
    7 years ago

Aside from the "damp towel" method... I really don't use anything to wash my face with. Like Sandy's husband, I sometimes use the shampoo lather from my head.

I almost never use it. Dries my skin out and, even worse, leaves soap scum everywhere. Here is what I have for my head (minus the hair gel).

sandy1616 thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Head & Shoulders has sodium lauryl sulfate right at the beginning and my scalp suffers every time I think I have to try it because i fell for some ad again about psoriasis care. Jeesh. Some people like me never learn.

• Cavimum
    7 years ago

Pat said --- I like Kirk's Castile soap in the summer but never thought of using it for shampoo.

Kirk's is too drying on my old skin, but I used it faithfully a long time ago. Great stuff.

If you use Kirk's as a shampoo, you might want to do a final rinse with 1:4 white vinegar & water. That will balance the pH and condition the hair (as well as the scalp/skin) and make it easier to comb through.

• Cavimum
    7 years ago

mamapinkyo said ---". . . and no you may not use Downy."

BwaHahahahahahaaaa!!!!! ONLY here on the Laundry Forum. LOL

BTW, try the lemon juice and let us know how it works. It might leave the hair sticky because of the lemon oil in it. Because it is acidic, it ought to neutralize the pH of the Kirks, which will be more on the alkaline side as are most shampoos. That's why the vinegar rinse works so well.

sandy1616 thanked Cavimum
  • Cavimum
    7 years ago

Pat said --- "Head & Shoulders has sodium lauryl sulfate right at the beginning and my scalp suffers every time I think I have to try it..."

The SLS stuff never bothers me, but Cocamidopropyl betaine can trigger allergic reactions including itching. Google it. It is in everything!!!

After reading some other posts on a different forum, I realized that I recently developed an allergy to it after all these years. Even my dermatologist was stumped and I figured it out on my own. Try to find a shampoo or bath soap that does not have it! I managed to do that, and everything is finally calmed down.

This also explains why, when I tried SLS-free shampoos a couple years ago, my skin went nuts; it was loaded with lots of Cocamidopropyl betaine. Eeew.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

@ Cavimum what shampoo do you use now?

The brand Beautycounter is AMAZING. They do not use any of the 1,500 ingredients/chemicals that the European Union has BANNED in cosmetics and skin care products, that the USA still uses and does not control. The USA has banned about 70-80 chemicals. EU, 1,500 chemicals banned :-O

Beautycounter CLEAN shampoo is prob one of the best I have ever used. Their conditioner is awesome, but if your hair is very fine/soft/thin (like mine) you might be ok skipping conditioner, or just use the conditioner every other wash.

sandy1616 thanked larsi_gw
  • Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Cavimum and larsi: Kisses, kisses, and more kisses. I mean, TONS of kisses.

Every time I use a chemical shampoo for itchy or dry scalp, promoted by a derm doc or site, by the way, my scalp gets drier and itchier. Common sense says to avoid the recommended medicated stuff. I love you. Thank god we went OT this time. Thanks to the others for putting up with this on the Laundry Forum.

sandy1616 thanked Pat Z5or6 SEMich
  • Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

sandy1616, thank you for starting this post.

Do you have a website?

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

You are welcome Pat. I cannot recommend the Beautycounter CLEAN shampoo enough. Visit their website, and read up about why their products are so amazing. Here is my bottle:

sandy1616 thanked larsi_gw
  • sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Larsi - I always look at what is considered safe in europe. Most cosmetic suppliers (raw ingredients) follow European standards for skin safe and organic. The US standards for cosmetics are shameful. As much as 40% of what is applied to your skin enters your blood stream. If it isn't allowed in food it shouldn't be on your skin.

Pat - I do have an etsy shop but mostly sell locally and custom products for a few local salons. It keeps my brain busy :).

Mama did you get my email? Not sure if I had that right.

• Jody
    7 years ago

LACURA.

sandy1616 thanked Jody
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago

@sandy - "Peanut oil, beeswax and geranium EO" you don't approve?

sandy1616 thanked rococogurl
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Sandy...I'm having email issues..I'll get in my email later..sorry

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Roc..back in 1900 and even before...long before the invention of moisturizers...beeswax..lard and oil from lavender was the most commonly used facial moisturizer..women worked very hard and oftem many hours out in cold, heat, wind and all their cleaning and laundry done with their hands using soda crystals (washing soda) stripped all the natural oils leaving hands dry cracked and sore...this mixture heated over a heat source than cooled worked miracles on them. I have often thought about making some course I'll use something besides lard. Lol

• sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Roc - I don't disapprove. Use what works for you. Beeswax doesn't absorb it sits on skin. It thickens the lotion. So it's peanut oil, geranium EO, the alcohols are emulsifying waxes to keep the oil and water from seperating. Peanut oil is an odd choice for the sole moisturizer was why I thought it interesting. It's heavy and doesn't absorb well. It reads more like something for chapped skin than an eye cream.

Mama - the collagen in moisturizers is the fatty layer of pig skin. There's usually collagen or some tallow in higher end moisturizers because it works like nothing else. It's better absorbed than plant oils and why collagen is used to "plump" skin. Any ingredient tallo... is lard.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Cavimum, I'm with larsi -- what shampoo do you use now and, for me, do you still like Cetaphil bar soap in the shower?

• Lisa Samson
    7 years ago

Which of these products are not tested on animals, also, their corporations don't test on animals for any of their products?

sandy1616 thanked Lisa Samson
  • Cavimum
    7 years ago

Pat & larsi - I had to stop using the Cetaphil bar soap (regular type, *not* -and never- the anti-bacterial one because it has Triclosan). Something in it was giving me a rash, maybe the fragrance? I now use Vanicream bar soap, and our Costco pharmacy has it behind the counter, and the best price.

I've been using a couple of shampoos made by Aubrey Organics and also a J.R. Liggett's shampoo bar (like bar soap). They all are pretty good but it takes a while to get used to minimal lather. I like the bar soap idea because it will be easy to take when we go on vacation, no worries it will leak on the airplane, etc.

After a good rinse, I douse it all with the 1:4 vinegar & water, leave it on for a minute or two, then rinse well so I don't smell like salad dressing. LOL It seems to be working very well. My also hair dries faster, probably because it is now free of the 'cones (silicone, dimethicone, etc.) so a few minutes less time drying & styling. Yay!

sandy1616 thanked Cavimum
  • always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

quick question regarding Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo...is it a dandruff shampoo? I want something to use as a clarifying shampoo every so often but don't want my hair stripped and left feeling like straw. I want something more for my scalp. I don't have dandruff but I feel like my scalp needs a good cleansing from heavy/cream shampoos and conditioners I use. I have done the vinegar/water rinses but haven't actually purchased a clarifying shampoo.

sandy1616 thanked always1stepbehind
  • Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

always, I have a close friend who swears by Suave's clarifying shampoo. I also liked it, but that was years ago. I need to get some more. But that is where I would start. Neutrogena's clarifying shampoo makes my scalp itch but now I know to use apple cider vinegar rinse, so I should try it again. Avalon Organics also had a clarifying shampoo that I loved.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Cavimum, thank you. I LOVE Vanicream bar soap also, but now I'm back to Basis bar soap since EWG gave Vanicream a 4. If my obsession with EWG ends, I'll be back to Vanicream soon. And I've been using Apple Cider Vinegar for rinses or just a spray for years, altho my ratio is more like 1:1. Can't find anything else that soothes my goofy dry scalp. If you'll remember, I tried hard to like the Cetaphil bar but the fragrance just killed me.

• sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pat - have you ever tried a shampoo bar then vinegar rinse? It's really the gentlest thing I've found for hair and scalp. It took a few washes to get get rid of the silicone buildup but after that it's been amazing.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

sandy1616, thank you for that tip. I will order a bar for sure now because EWG lists so many of them as 1s. I was shamed for using bar bath soap from following Paula Begoun for so many years, because it is supposed to be harsher on skin, but every time I switch to a liquid bath wash, I never feel really as clean; so I think that's why I never thought a bar shampoo would be gentle. So thank you very much, sandy. I don't think my scalp could ever do without ACV, however. although EWG lists some conditioners that I want to try when the weather is very cold and dry. I cannot find you in Etsy so I want to get some pumpkin seed oil from Whole Foods for my droopy upper eyelids.

• sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pat - is there still a messaging system on here? If so send me your address and I'll send you a shampoo bar to try out or send me a message on etsy. HippyLab.etsy.com. I don't have a lot listed there and use it mostly to process payments for special orders.

• sandy1616
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mama - packing your box now. Is it Jasmine that you liked?

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Love Jasmine...thank you Sandy your a doll

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

I know this is an old post, but thanks to Cavimum, I'm trying to eliminate Cocamidopropyl Betaine in everything. I like Vanicream bath soap and I discovered on a Dermaology website that All Free Clear has no CB, which is quite rare. So, here I go back to All again. Jeesh. Back and forth. As Cavimum said, CB is in everything. Anybody else having issues with CB? Cavimum, have you found a CB-free shampoo? I'm using Free and Clear. Johnson's Baby Shampoo and Dove Beauty Bar have CB way down in the ingredient list so I am alternatiing with them.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

Bumping up to get your attention.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I'm here. I just never thought about this CB. Lol.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I'll also say this thread really makes me miss our lovely Sandy.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

Me too, Pinky. Sandy, where are you???? Anybody discovered anything new without CB? Cavimum? Anybody?

• miami mami
    6 years ago

I miss Sandy too. :( Pat---I found a link for you of products that don't contain this ingredient. It's kind of long but it has them categorized by brand, hope it helps you some

https://www.skinsafeproducts.com/ingredients/cocamidopropyl-betaine-2

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

miami mami, I love you. thank you very much. very, very much. how kind of you.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

mama, keep using your Kirk's Original Castile soap FragFree.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Pat. I mostly use Kirks on the boys hair also. One thing I truely HATE is when kids have a stinky head...iI've found that even shampooing 3 times with shampoo kids can still have a stink head. My boys have oily heads so that could be why. Anyway Kirks on their heads and their heads smell so very clean and fresh. I do use a chamomile tea rinse.. I used to use lemon juice, they are both blondies, but I tried the Chamomile and wow it left their hair silky with a natural shine. so every night I brew 2 cups of Chamomile LOL glad I found a cheap brand that's 97cents for 25. I think though I'll try one tea bag and just let it steep an hour or so than dilute it some and split it in half for each boy.

For those of you that don't know Kirks is a lovely coconut castile bar soap that can be used as a shampoo you just have to use a acidic rinse afterwards to restore PH.

Kirks has a shampoo but I've never seen it at a store, ive been really really wanting to try it. So if any of you have please report to me if you like it. Thank You.