Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20188432

Enough space to walk around open dishwasher?

User
7 years ago

My aisle is 45 inches wide, which sounds like plenty. My question is, because our dishwasher is opposite full height cabinets instead of the typical counter. When the d/w door is open, there will be 1' 7.5 " of space to get by. Is this enough when there is something full height which doesn't give you the shoulder space that a typical counter would? I'm a small person but I bruise easily!!!! THX!!!

Comments (9)

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Can you "get by" - yes. Will it be tight - also yes. Disclaimer - One of the reasons I remodeled by last kitchen was I couldn't stand the location of dishwasher.

User thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • ck_squared
    7 years ago

How often would you actually have to get by and how difficult would it be to close the DW so someone could get by? Your clearance is 19.5". Sometimes I think we don't have to be so concerned about clearance of things for an activity that may seldom occur. My clearance, next to an island, not a full-height pantry or anything, is 22". It is plenty to get by. I think 19.5" would also be "okay."

User thanked ck_squared
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

CK-squared ... my main concern is if I'll be able to go back and forth on either side of the open d/w door while putting things away, which would be a daily occurrence. Your point is good for not planning for all scenarios.

chartist.. I don't have a picture of an elevation. To picture it, think of an open dishwasher door and you have 1 ft and 7 inches between the d/w door and a wall in order to walk around while unloading dishes. The wall is opposite the d/w.

SJ.. THX!!!!

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Too tight for me.

User thanked Lavender Lass
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lavender Lass, how much space should I request?

• emilyam819
    7 years ago

Maybe you can plan your storage so that you don't have to go on both sides of the dishwasher to unload it.

I load my dishwasher from the sink side and unload it from the other. 90% of my dishes get stored on the unloading side.

User thanked emilyam819
  • lharpie
    7 years ago

Sounds doable but I'd prefer to have 2ft. Agree with trying to maximize number of dishes on one side but it's pretty impossible to get this to 100%. I think it also depends on size of people involved!

User thanked lharpie
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Based on seeing this, how much room should I have to navigate around the open d/w doors?

Lharpie would like 2 ft. I have a couple options.. I can increase the size of the house by a few inches on the top of the page, and/or I can shrink the wall by 2 inches that is between the cooktop and the ovens (that is not an island and will be aprox 10 ft tall). Or maybe it's ok now that you see it.

Chartist.. here is the layout you requested.

The tall cabinets are at the ends of that middle module. In the top section where most of the cleanup will happen, opposite the dishwashers, there is a counter between the ovens , then wall ovens on each side, and then full height storage next to the ovens.

FYI, not everything in here is going to be exactly as shown but it's close. Instead of extra wide FP dishwasher drawers, I'm going to have 2 Miele dishwashers. (A GREAT appliance person told me the extra wide drawers don't work as well as the small drawers). Due to recommendations from GW, I'm moving the fridge so it's on the end of the cooktop run, so I have a landing spot. I'll have a fridge and freezer drawer in the back too.