Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylvain_kalache

2 types of bug under Japanese maple tree leaves

Sylvain Kalache
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello World,

It seems to have 2 types of bugs that are destroying my Japanese maple trees, they are indoor, in California.
A video is worth a thousands words:

Just 2 comments, we can see on the video:

• green "big" not moving bugs
  • white "small" moving bugs

And 2 questions:

• What are those?
  • How can I treat them?

Thank you!

Comments (14)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

My computer system does not support your video so can't see what you are concerned about....sorry :-(

Why are your maples indoors? These are not houseplants and would be happiest outside where they can get adequate light and proper humidity and necessary fluctuations in temperatures. Keeping them indoors is causing them stress and stress attracts insect pests. I'd suggest getting them outside asap and hosing them down - a good stream of water is typically adequate to dislodge most insects that would bother a JM. And not many other than aphids and some scale insects do.......and seldom ever to the point where they are "destroying" the plant.

• Sylvain Kalache
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My video is hosted on YouTube, available here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaIYhshMWPc&sns=em

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Sorry - even viewing the video on YouTube, the insects are not very clear and too small to identify. I would still recommend following the procedures I outlined in my previous post. These need to be outdoors and just hosing them off well is the best approach. Japanese maples are very sensitive to any products other than water sprayed on their foliage and you could be doing more harm to the plants by spraying than any insect damage would cause.

• Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    7 years ago

I think they look like aphids or spider mites! You can spray with Captain Jack's Dead bug brew.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"You can spray with Captain Jack's Dead bug brew."

I would be hesitant to suggest even this biocontrol. JM's readily develop phytotoxic reactions to just about anything other than water sprayed on their foliage, even something as benign as insecticidal soap. In all my years of growing JM's, I have seldom found the need for anything stronger than water to discourage insects. For one, JM's grown under correct conditions seldom develop insect issues beyond a few aphids. If you have any scale, a systemic applied as a soil drench will be more effective than any spray, water included.

• Sylvain Kalache
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I bought these trees from a nursery few weeks ago, they were outside, and they were always sick.

I do not have a yard, I need an indoor solution.

• Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    7 years ago

Every season we have horrible winter moth caterpillars and Spinosad was recommended as safe for JMs by a few arborists that I asked.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"I do not have a yard, I need an indoor solution."

Then you need to find an alternate home for your maples. They will not live indoors.

• Sylvain Kalache
    Original Author
    7 years ago

gardengal48 I understand that maple tree are not meant to be indoor but I have no choice. Thank you for offering your feedback on this.

Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn Thank you for the suggestion, I guess I will continue to search the Internet to make understand what are these bugs to make sure I use the right treatment.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

OK. But don't be surprised when they die. And they will....eventually. Plants that grow naturally in temperate climates - like Japanese maples - cannot survive long term under indoor conditions.

• Sylvain Kalache
    Original Author
    7 years ago

As I said I do not have a solution.

When I bought them from the nursery I clearly said that it was for indoor, the seller even told me "I have a beautiful maple tree at my place, it looks wonderful" I guess he was just lying to me. I also asked if these trees were in good shape as I noticed the damaged leaves and he made it look like it was a stupid question and answered: "these trees are in perfect health, they just did not like to be outside with too much wind and sun", I guess lying again. So please avoid this place https://www.yelp.com/biz/sloat-garden-center-san-francisco-2

At this point either I trash them or either I try to take care of them. Or I play and win the lottery and get enough money to get a house with a yard in San Francisco :)

• Jean
    7 years ago

If you want an indoor tree, why not a kind that will survive in that sort of environment?

• privatejapanesemaplesanctuary
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sylvain

You are I am sure Perfectly within your rights to take this Poor Specimen back to the Garden Centre mentioned for a full refund.