Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Mislabeled Austins at local lowes for $10.99

SoFL Rose z10
7 years ago

I stopped by my local lowes to check out their roses as they sometimes have nice Kordes roses or other good varieties tha t are not common in our area ( I found First Crush and Summer Romace recently for example).

i saw this very bushy rose with beautiful pale yellow blooms in the OGR style that I love and when I looked at the tag it read Spartain and had a pic of a very hybrid tea looking rose in bright/deep yellow that looked nothing like the bloom I was looking at in real life.

i just shrugged and decided I would buy it because I liked the look of the bloom despite the obvious mislable.

When I put it in my cart however I noticed it had another tag, a familiar looking tag and when I looked closely it read "Charlotte" on an authentic DA tag.

after looking at the others in the lot I realized they were all Austins with mislabled that read Gene Borener and Sunsprite but they were in fact Austins. Some still had the correct tags deep in the soil. Most had just finished blooming so they were impossible to ID.

After much searching I came up with 2 Huntington Roses, 2 queen of Sweden's, 2 charlottes, 3 scepter d'isles and one Winchester Cathedral that were clearly marked with Authentic DA tags and about 15 others which weren't marked but were clearly Austins. I paid $10.99 for each rose and could not be more thrilled. I can't wait to see what other varieties I scored on this run. One seems to be Scarborough Fair. The others only time will tell. I'm so happy I feel like I found buried treasure.

TLDR found Austin Roses labled as something else for $10.99

Comments (63)

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh yay tooth fairy. I'm so thrilled you got to share in on the secret. I'm so happy for you.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

The toothfairy does more than leave money under your pillow!

Summersr, you need to be restrained...41 Heritage rose bushes. And a double whammy in some pots. Wow. I want to see photos when they bloom. And do you have a lot of space? I am so jealous. Diane

• Carolina Girl (Zone 8b)
    7 years ago

Nice find!

Any chance you have photos of the containers and tags?

I may hit my Lowes to see if they have any.

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

I most definitely would loose all restraint if I came across such a find! I only wish!!! I'm happy for you!

• mad_for_roses (Zone 9a, Central Fl)
    7 years ago

Wow! What an awesome find! I am in central FL and have never seen any Austins at my Lowes. However, I did find Kordes Zaide, Summer Romance, First Crush, Ballerina, and Dennis Kellogg on clearance.

• soflatoothfairy
    7 years ago

I went to 2 other lowes by me and found a few more others. If anyone is in south florida there are about 10 charlotte roses at the lowes in east oakland. Here is a photo of the label tag of 1 rose.

queen of sweden. The David Austin tag was buried and I had to dig a little. As you can see this rose is definitely not a Gene Boerner (which I also happen to have).

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    7 years ago

Great find

• Carolina Girl (Zone 8b)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

OK, I went to my lowes here in Charleston. No such luck....dangit

But, I did get a Kordes Blush Veranda*, and I'm excited about that! Sadly they weren't on clearance like mad_for_roses found.

*edited because I thought it was First Blush and went to check after I posted. oops

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Diane, I know I went overboard on Heritage, I only had 1 Heritage from Chamblee until 3 weeks ago, I didn't know Heritage weren't good cutting roses, I got them for cutting flowers...... but the blooms lasted pretty long on the plants, they were blooming when I got them. Now they're my landscaping roses like KOs. :-) I don't have a big lot, I pull out a lot of perennials, and I planted them pretty close, some of them only have 1' in between, too close I know...... a lot of DAs don't grow big in my garden.

• gibsongirl74_gw (zone 6 CT)
    7 years ago

Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

• Hans
    7 years ago

Congratulations, excellent roses, very nice price. Pics?

• toolbelt68
    7 years ago

Why didn’t you inform the store manager that they had the roses mislabeled???

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    7 years ago

I told him and he was uninterested. Unless it was a knock out he didn't know one rose from another. The roses came in without the typical hanging tags but they did have a price tag stuck on the pot that said $9.95 with a bar code that were put there before they arrived at the store. They had DA labels in the dirt. I wouldn't have known otherwise. Nothing unethical about it.

7 years ago

Lucky you BethC! I would be absolutely thrilled if I found some Austins at those prices. I was at my Lowes today and no such luck. They just had some Kordes Summer Romance and First Crush, and a couple of hybrid teas, all at regular price.

• toolbelt68
    7 years ago

Great, glad you told him, you just restored my faith in people.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I actually did mention it to the manager of the garden section and you know what he said? He told me he'd sell them to me at 50% off And that he wanted to get rid of them. I took the lot. 14 Austin roses for $5.49 here is a pic of my new rose bed. I got 37 in total. And to tell you the truth, I don't think they were mislabeled by accident. DA recently raised the royalty charges on their roses. I bet the farmers found they'd make a bigger profit if they sold them as non-patined varieties. That's the only way I can comprehend this 'mixup'. Many had blooms that were clearly not even close to Spartain of Gene Borener etc.

• sharon2079
    7 years ago

wow, oh wow. So happy for you!!!!!! I ran....Ok, drove really fast to my Lowes and I wasn't so lucky. They only had knockouts, and a few Kordes. :( I have been keeping my eyes open though. I really want to get some. Your garden is beautiful, I was trying to imagine where you would be planting them. You will have to post pictures when you get them planted. Great find.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

What a bargain!!! $5.49 each!!! So happy for you!!!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Can you imagine my luck? I ended up with 37 in total. All planted in the bed. The varieties I know that I have are Alnwick, Charlotte, Scepter D'isle, Winchester Cathedral, Queen of Sweden, Eglantyne, Huntington Rose and what I think may be Scarborough Fair but I'm not quite sure as it wasn't labeled, I'm just going by the bloom. I also have about 5 or 6 that are complete mysteries as they had neither a tag or a bloom so we'll see if we can ID them when they do bloom. I'm very very excited. Most of them were on their own roots too. A few were grafted.

Here is a pic of the finished rose bed. All 37 fit comfortably at 18 inches apart. They are a little crowded, but I really wanted them to be full and bushy and DA suggests 18 inches to form a solid shrub so that's what I did. I actually ended up having room for 3 more so I added my own Huntington Rose that was growing in a large pot, my Olivia and my Boscobal to the mix. The entire bed will be a mixture of pinks, apricots and pale pale Charlotte yellow. I cant wait to see them grow!!

• thonotorose
    7 years ago

Label that is on almost all I have seen:

Label on the pot. Appears to be from a Florida nursery in Apopka, which is near the Mouse.

• Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
    7 years ago

Since they are from a Florida nursery, wouldn't it seem probable that most of these Austins will be going to Florida Lowes stores?

• thonotorose
    7 years ago

Here's what I brought home... marked as Lark Ascending.

Unmarked. Not that yellow. Maybe Litchfield Angel?
    Unmarked, highly fragrant.

• thonotorose
    7 years ago

All the blooms are rather small and many had already bloomed out. Florida heat... And, as far as I could discern, they all had the same label with the bright yellow pic. I went to an upscale neighborhood for these. There are at least two more Lowes in my usual haunts. What a find!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

YAY! I'm glad my sharing this info got these roses good a home.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That yellowish one on top might be Charlotte as my Lowes had lots of that one. It also looks like Claire Austin as Claire is more a pale yellow here in FL. Another possibility is Jude The Obscure, but only if its got a intense fragrance. Either way its very pretty!

• roserosette
    7 years ago

What are the names of the roses on the Lowe's label tags? I will check my local Lowe's.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beautiful!

7 years ago

Gorgeous blooms!

• User
    7 years ago

thonotorose..

...I'm not sure if you want confirmation about your 'Lark Ascending' or not, but it very much looks like it to me... here's mine from last year, plus photo of the very thorny cane which I can also see in yours.

I hope you have room, mine is over 6 foot tall and it's very vigorous, throwing thick canes up from the base, in its 2nd year..

• thonotorose
    7 years ago

Thank you, Marolena. I agree. It is the same. Wonderfully scented, as are the other two.

SoFL! Here's to holding out hope that it is JTO. Always wanted to try/smell that one. Thanks so much for the tip about these beauties!!!

For my fellow Florida Buds: Went to the Valrico Lowes this morning and they had Don Juans and a pink grandeflora only. :(

Tomorrow I have a work reason to head into South Tampa. :) After that, I think I might take the Leroy Selmon crosstown expressway back and end up in south Brandon. :) Lucky me...

• thonotorose
    7 years ago

South Tampa Lowes had bupkiss. However, I did find lots more at the Brandon one from which I adopted an Alnwick Rose. There were MANY there but only one or two labeled. I'm probably going back to the first store I saw them, pre SoFL's post. I didn't look for labels there.

7 years ago

My lowe's just had a bunch of climbing new dawn's for $30 which were actually all white.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Are those White Dawn? I saw them for the 1st time at a nursery last week. White Dawn is New Dawn's baby.

7 years ago

Maybe but the label said new dawn with a picture of a pink climbing rose...it was pretty but definitely not new dawn. I thought it was pretty expensive. All the other roses were $12. It will end up on clearance because people don't plant a lot of flowers where I live.

• Hans
    7 years ago

This is my ND, but it will turn completely white in a day or two.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

That's a pretty photo. I'd check mine when I get home today. Just planted 3 ND, they're in bloom.

7 years ago

So, I decided to visit another Lowes today and I scored big time! I only found yellow Austins though. I ended up with 2 Teasing Georgias, 2 Charlottes, one each of The Pilgrim, Graham Thomas, and The Lark Ascending. Wowsa! Here's to an early happy birthday to me! Who knows what else I may find by the end of the week?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Nice findings! At what price?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    7 years ago

Darn I went to a Lowes by my house and found nada. How far are the tags buried? lol! I felt kinda weird digging through the pots looking for DA tags.

7 years ago

Summersrhythm they were $10.98 each. Some of they were really big plants.

Sultry_jasmine_nights the tags were buried kind of deep. The tags on the pots were New Day Rose, exactly like the photos that thonotorose posted earlier. Good luck!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

My goodness, that's a bargain! So happy for you! Happy gardening. :-)

Talking about bargains, today is the last shipping day for JP and Wayside Gardens- per their customer service. :-)

Update: Their website says still have 48 hrs.

• thonotorose
    7 years ago

OK, Two more came home and I have a job over in Pinellas County tomorrow. After that I think I will just stalk the racks of death for the BIG discounts. Again, thank you, I am having so much fun!

Anyone recognize this one?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

It's beautiful, it looks like Teasing Georgia.......

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I ended up with 2 Jubilee Celebrations! (I was able to ID them after they bloomed) its like my absolute Favorite Austin and I am thrilled!

7 years ago

Good for you SoFl Rose!

• 123 456 Tx z9a
    7 years ago

What are they yellow tagged as? I saw many tagged as Gene Boerner and I dug a bit, but no DA tags. I also saw one yellow tagged (can't remember the name) but it had another white tag reading Waiheke. You can tell the picture doesnt match the rose. I started feelin weird so I left. I would love to run into a Scepter d'Isle, Eglantyne or a JTO, though!

• stillanntn6b
    7 years ago

Thonotorose, that white with a cream center might be Crocus Rose which I grow unsprayed with great leaf retention and good repeat bloom.

• Chad lee
    7 years ago

allright....I found one at Lowe's in Jacksonville fl. And it was the only one but I'm on a treasure hunt now ...this should be fun ...darcey Bussell da $12

• soflatoothfairy
    7 years ago

All the DA's I've found at Lowes with pink and yellow rose tags are dated 5/16/16 or 5/17/16. Since the plants are priced and labeled at the nursery the dates help in the search.

Please update if you have found other dates. Thanks.