Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea_alexander95

What is wrong with my tomato plants ??

I bought tumbler cherry tomato plants about 1.5 month ago . I repotted them which they did fine with . I've fed them 20-20-20 all purpose fertilizer twice now . They are the saddest looking plants now . New growth is beautiful and green the old growth is limp light green and has brown spots on some of it . Ive cut a bunch off but I can't seem to get these plants to come around . Any help please .

Comments (6)

• dowlinggram
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your containers are too small and I'll bet they are root bound. Just because the tomatoes are small doesn't mean the plant is small. Cherry tomatoes usually grow to about 4 feet tall and and need a very large container to hold the roots. Possibly one with an 18 to 20 inch opening and about the same height. You could probably put both plants in one that size. A large deep pot will also keep them from drying out so the tomatoes don't get blossom end rot as well as growing a flourishing plant.

Be sure to untangle the roots if they are root bound. A root bound plant has the roots coiled at the bottom. they more or less strangle the plant. The roots hit the bottom of the container and have nowhere to go so they coil around and around the bottom of the pot. A plant planted this way will continue to coil even though it now has room for the roots. it can't take up nutrients so the plant gets yellow leaves and doesn't thrive. Don't worry if you break off some of the roots but do try to uncoil the bottom. The plant will make new roots. give the planter a bit of shade for a couple of weeks. Perhaps put something against the railing so it is shaded but still gets light. Water it well and give it some half strength water soluble tomato fertilizer. After a couple of weeks you can give it full strength as written on the fertilizer container and full sun.

• Chelsea Alexander
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Believe it or not when I bought it they had 3 of those plants in the smallest pot . They were healthy and happy . Very root bound though . The bigger pot is 14 wide and 10 high. I will try your suggestions and go buy a bigger pot for them to share.

• ianna
    7 years ago

I also noticed your plants have suckered and you need to clip those off.

another thing about repotting when they are in fruiting stage and then fertilizing them shortly after - you risk plant shock and root burns. Normally I'd fertilizer only after they recover from being transplanted.

I do agree that the containers are small - for reasons as cited above and also because smaller containers require frequent watering (and increased risk of fertilizer root burns) because they dry out too fast. Too much watering can also cause root damage so don't over do that. So a larger container will do the trick. Transplant late afternoon when the sun is soft. Water well before transplanting and in case its already root bound, take a chopstick and poke some holes between roots so water can be absorbed. When trying to pry roots loose, use the same chopstick to gently pry them apart.

good luck.

• dowlinggram
    7 years ago

ianna--There are 2 kinds of tomato plant.

Determinate tomatoes--bush tomatoes-- tomato plants that only grow about 4 feet tall-- do not need the suckers cut off. If you do you cut down on tomato production.

Indeterminate--These plants are vines and usually grown in a greenhouse. They do need the suckers cut off. For the sole reason that they can grow up to 20 feet tall and would make an unmanagable gigantic treelike bush with a poor tomato yield.

You only get root burn if you fertilize a dry plant. I usually mix a small amount of soluble fertilizer in my water that I mix into the soil before I fill the pots I'm transplanting into so the soil is moist right through and I've never had a problem with it.

• Chelsea Alexander
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well replanted the ladies . The roots had made there way through the dirt in the pots but hadn't curled or bunched up in anyway .

If I were to cut the suckers off those plants I would have next to nothing for tomatoes .

So let's hope you awesome people were right and they come alive !!!

• ianna
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

dowling, I of course know the difference between the 2 types. Root burns - so what happens when containers go dry???

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting