Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakhidden

part owner build... wwyd? granite looks horrible

oakhidden
7 years ago

long story short we are part owner build.. paying a gc who is a friend but not near as much as he normally charges...he is basically telling us when to do what and giving us contacts. fast forward to today, Granite installers were suppose to call 30 mins before they arrived, and we never heard from them. Went by about 5:30 to see what all had gotten done with the exterior brick today and went inside and saw our granite installed! Nobody called nobody was still there and this is what we found..

Granite · More Info

above is the bathroom vanity backsplash

Granite · More Info

Granite · More Info

this is the kitchen island which they were suppose to avoid the orange!

We've called the company and told them its unacceptable and they are coming tomorrow but right now I just want to cry!!! Thank goodness we haven't paid them yet! If they would of called like they were suppose to we would of told them not to install it! Am i overreacting?

Comments (36)

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I like the island. I do wonder why they mis-measured against your request. The crack, though, is seriously wrong and they need to do something about it.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I like the touch of orange. It adds character. Agree about the crack.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

If they were supposed to avoid the orange, and it was clearly understood..they should have avoided it.

• treehuggergirl
    7 years ago

I'd be on the fence on the orange. The crack is definitely not OK. We have a remnant for our master bath. It ended up cracking when they cut the backsplash, and they installed it with a seam, roughly behind the faucet. I didn't like it, but it was the the nature of the stone and got a reasonable (to me) discount. Now that the faucet's in, I really don't notice. That said, that's a straight seam. They should do that or re cut if there's more material.

• BB Galore
    7 years ago

I'd push for them to replace the backsplash and the kitchen island. The crack is unacceptable, and I can't imagine a conscientious granite fabricator would include a small but very noticeable color differentiation on what is probably the focal point of the kitchen. Or did you get a fabulous deal on granite remnants, with an understanding that you get whatever you get?

Don't make yourself sick over this...these are very fixable problems.

• sklka
    7 years ago

The backsplash needs replacement.

How were they to avoid the orange? That looks like a good size island - was the raw piece large enough to avoid the orange, or were they to try and minimize the orange? Obviously you knew about the orange - did they not show you how they would cut around it?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Were I your fabricator, I would have repaired the cracked backsplash so well you would never have found it. It's still possible to make that crack highly inconspicuous.

The slab size may have dictated the orange on the island. The orange is natural oxidation within the stone; expect more possibly.

Check how your sinks are attached please and get back to us.

• oakhidden
    Original Author
    7 years ago

our island is 4x8 and they knew the measurements when we purchased the granite. we paid for 2.5 slabs which included our kitchen and master bath. They called the day before install to tell us our bath vanity cracked and we needed to pick something else out. Then they called and said they come across another piece the same color and we were back on track. I'm wondering now if that was a lie.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Were you not present for the templating and approved the templates?

• oakhidden
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Joseph Coreltt, As a fabricator does the bathroom vanity look to be the same granite as the kitchen island? Both are suppose to be floratta white, my husband thinks the bath vanity is different.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

You don't need to be a fabricator to see that they are in deed different. And you did not answer my previous question as the "orange" should have been readily seen when you approved the templating?

• oakhidden
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We were not there for the templating. Never told we needed to be. They had the plans, they came and measured.

• oakhidden
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any ideas as to what color they installed in master? They swear its floratta white, like island.

• Sunny Days
    7 years ago

Sounds like your granite company did a poor job of communicating all the way around. You absolutely should have been there to approve templates.

Keep in mind, that the same type of granite WILL have variations in it's color from slab to slab. Some are wildly variant. This is another thing that should have been discussed in templating, however. They should have known they would have to seam a piece and they should have shown you the two pieces to be seamed before any cutting happened.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

No that's not the same granite. They are just trying to get out of it as they goofed.

• suellen19
    7 years ago

No way is that the same granite in both rooms.

• User
    7 years ago

Even if it is the same granite, my God, with that variation, they should have made sure you signed off on it.

Now that my brain is being poked, I do remember DH and I approving templating on our slabs for our kitchen.

• french toast
    7 years ago

The two granites look totally different. Sorry you are dealing with this. I agree that the orange on the island isn't so bad. I doubt they will cave on that one just from my experience. I feel like they will say they avoided it as much as possible and it was the best they could do.

• User
    7 years ago

I feel like they will say they avoided it as much as possible and it was the best they could do.

I think so too, however... I guess I'm asking the pros here, but if the client clearly said the they don't want the orange, and the granite place said, "OK, we can do that", shouldn't they call the client when they realize that it's simply not possible?

Better to return the slab and get another one vs. making these irreversible changes which ends up being something that the client expressly said they didn't want.

Again, I think the orange is good quirky, but if I had a vision in my head and the end result didn't comply (and it could have been avoided), I'd be upset.

Sorry you're going through this. Having read stories about granite fabrication and installation gone bad, I held my breath and crossed my fingers when we got our granite installed!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well you've gotten some really good advise about the installation issues but as others have pointed out, it's not always possible for the slab you choose to be fabricated the way you wanted it to be. That said, sometimes things happen that you hadn't planned and the results are a better option. In regards to your island, I sincerely feel that's the case. As other's have said the orange adds some really pretty interest and a beautiful pop of color to the room.

We were just starting out when we picked our kitchen granite. We didn't know what we were doing and ended up getting Verde Peacock. (If I had only known then what I know today, I would have gone a different route). My husband liked it alot, but I didn't care much for how uninteresting the slabs looked. Luckily we found a slab with some big carmel spots and anomolies in it and we grabbed it up. Those area's are front and center where everyone can see them and we get compliments all the time. Granite is such a beautiful stone and really it isn't meant to be uniform. When someone wants a look that is calm and uniform, quartz would probably be a better option.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Since when does the client have to approve templating? Is this done at the fabricators? What exactly are you looking at....The templates laid out over the actual stone? How many people here have done this? Since she didn't do this, does this get them off the hook?

I didn't do this 11 yrs ago when I built my house. Is this standard now?

If this client asked and was clearly told they would not get that orange pock mock on their island they shouldn't have gotten it on their island. Joe just said it could get worse.

Did they need to get it in writing? Should they also have gotten in writing " we will not get a cracked backsplash or a different granite than the granite that we think we are paying for"?

OP...have you paid yet?

• rwiegand
    7 years ago

We've done granite three times, with three different fabricators. They have always insisted we approve the templating, and I can't imagine doing it any other way. The first two times they taped the slabs showing the cuts, most recently they both did that and generated computer composites showing the actual pieces in place. Why in the world wouldn't you insist in seeing that the cuts on the slabs were laid out as you want them-- a lot of it is just a matter of taste, not "right" answers.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I absolutely was there for the tempting of my granite 6 years ago, and my builder knows that he had better not have the fabricator touch my granite without my approving exactly where it will be cut. (Of course he knows I'm so "hands on" that he doesn't do anything without prior approval from me.)

• User
    7 years ago

We had to approve our templates 10 years ago. They were computer generated by the fabricator.

• Sunny Days
    7 years ago

The day after they made templates at the house, I went to the Granite Co and they pulled each slab out, and together we marked where the cuts would be. Out of 6 baths, 2 kitchen islands and perimeter, we only have 1 seam - in the middle of the kitchen sink and I can't even see it. The Granite Co. owner actually told us they never make cuts before the owner approves. For a granite company, I'd say doing otherwise is pretty bad business. Case in point here.

• Laurel Warner
    7 years ago

We weren't there for our templating - didn't know it had happened till after the fact. I would be mad about that crack, and they definitely should fix that for you, but I think the orange adds character. Our island and peninsula both have a natural streak of darker color going diagonal through it. I think the slabs were next to each other when they quarried it cause it's so similar. Some people would want that avoided and not like it, but we think it adds character and we don't mind it at all. Our 1 issue with granite installation was that we didn't want the 4" granite backsplash at all since we had tile picked out already to do tile backsplashes in the kitchen and all bathrooms. The granite place knew this and actually brought it to the contractors attention cause he called us and asked us about tile installation (we had planned to DIY later). But LUCKILY we had played hooky from work that day and actually were at the house when the install was happening, and we saw that they were installing the 4" backsplashes that we had told them we didn't want! Luckily we told them and they took it right off. Some hadn't been glued yet, and the ones that had been glued hadn't had time to set so the damage was very minimal to the wall. And obviously now it's covered with tile so you can't see it anyway.

• suellen19
    7 years ago

In this house we put in Uba Tuba. We did not see the the templates and did not even pick out our slabs. Uba Tuba is pretty uniform and I trusted the fabricator to pick them.

In this build we have marble in the bathrooms on the counters and I did not pick those slabs either. The architect did. She did send me photos. I trust her completely. I was there for the discussions on edges and seam (if any).

Our kitchen counters, partial mudroom counters and fireplace surround are quartz and we did not pick those either as they are pretty uniform.

Not worried at all.

• oakhidden
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We have not paid anything for the granite yet. We were also told they would call before install and my husband even asked is there any orange on the island the sales lady said yes but only about 3 inches on a corner, and my husband said well i can tell you right now we don't want it (and we have a picture with a BIG sticky note that says AVOID orange!!! taped to the slab we picked out) she said well we will cross that bridge when we get there. He said again to call before you install! If they would of called we wouldn't be in this situation. It may be 3in wide but the island is 4 ft and its a least an 18in streak!

• User
    7 years ago

Well, it sounds like it's time to call them, tell them to make it right and see what they do. If you are sure it's not ok, don't delay initiating.

I'd call first thing tomorrow morning and not let the weekend go by.

• Victoria
    7 years ago

I do not think you are overreacting at all. I would not be ok with any of that either. Also I agree that is definitely not the same granite.

• oakhidden
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just got back from walking in on 2 granite installers at my home trying to mend the crack in the vanity backsplash. Pulled in and they were there, had no clue they were coming! He said the sales lady has known since yesterday evening after we complained that he was coming to "fix it". Funny she came down today to see the mistakes for herself and never mentioned anyone coming tonight. Just so happened he had the drawings laying and kitchen counter and it clearly states "revised 6/1/16"

Kitchen:Floratta white

master vanity Whiter Galaxy

we have via text where she swore bath was same as kitchen AND stood in the bath today with husband and said the same thing! We have been going around and around with them all day about this! We will be going to company tomorrow and discussing a day for them to come remove it all!!!!!!

• User
    7 years ago

Good luck, and I hope you get what you ordered!

It really sucks when working with installers and contractors goes sideways. It's not pleasant, but you're doing everything right. I hope they don't fight you.

• ontariomom
    7 years ago

Oak,

I am so sorry you have received such bad service. I know many above have said they liked the character the orange gives. I wanted to vote the opposite way. I would not be happy with a single random steak of orange on the end of the island. It is also completely unacceptable for them to switch up the bath granite and pretend it was the same.

Would you consider having them remove the granite backsplash and do a tile backsplash instead? Of course you would get a credit for the cracked backsplash. Not sure if it is even possible to remove the granite backsplash and not harm the main vanity counter. Do you like the granite the company chose for the vanity?

I sure hope this company makes right for you.

Carol

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I'm with you at this point in having them take it all back and get your money back. It's not what you ordered and then this woman is absolutely lying to your face about it? Make sure once you get your money back to post a yelp review and let the BBB know too. These people are crooks.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Make sure they don't damage your cabinets when they remove the granite.

when they remove the back and side splash, there is no way the drywall will be undisturbed.

What a bunch of carp.