Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_hunter1745078

Travertine vs porcelain tile

Susan Hunter
7 years ago

Debating on installing travertine 12x24 tiles but everyone tells me too much maintenance

Our home is rustic and love the natural stone look

Is travertine more work than porcelain

Please help

Susan

Rsjhunter@gmail.com

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Skydell Contracting Inc.
    7 years ago

It's not a matter of more work but rather it wears differently. I have it in my family room and I love it. Yes it gets dirty (patina) but that just adds to the charm. In the six years that it's been down we had it steam cleaned once and thank goodness it didn't come perfectly clean. To me it's like living in a European Villa. Just make sure you get really good stone and hire the best installer that you can find. It's all in the prep work if you want a quality installation.

• User
    7 years ago

Travertine is holey, and traps dirt. Or a dropped egg in the kitchen. Not sure if dirty floors is "European'' or not, but I suspect not. Some of the holes are filled, but the fill will pop out over time. It is soft, and will scratch when your shoe traps that pebble and your kid walks through the whole house dragging his feet. It is a carbonate based stone and will etch (partially dissolve) when you drop a tomato spill a coke. It is porous, and will stain when you drop that tomato or spill that coke or have driveway sealer on your shoe. Sealer can prevent some staining. It doesn't prevent anything else.

Porcelain is one of the hardest substances for flooring that exists. It experiences none of those issues. A successful mimic of natural stone is a great choice for a lived in home. It can be a lifetime flooring.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO travertine is not a stone I would use in a rustic setting and yes travertine is more work than porcelain as it needs to be sealed often to keep it looking good and laso from having liquids get into the stone . If you want a rustic feel why not slate .

• bargainhunter
    7 years ago
    Rescaled should read resealed. Damn auto spell
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    7 years ago

Travertine is beautiful, but porcelain tile is much easier to maintain. You also have a stone-look porcelain tile if this is the compromise you would consider to go with.

• printesa
    7 years ago

Porcelain is easy to maintain. If you are going for that, you need to find a porcelain tile that imitates travertine well. Travertine looks pretty rustic (that is the reason we didn't pick it for a project). If you think maintenance is an issue for you, then check porcelain. Just make sure you see the tile in the store. A lot of them feel like plastic

• Jillian - Interior design student
    7 years ago

Travertine is semi-porous and can stain. There are some great stone-look porcelain tiles on the market now. Porcelain is easier to clean and maintain, but may not be that much less expensive than travertine.

• PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    7 years ago
    Travertine tile is porous and is a more difficult set. Some folks will set it like porcelain or ceramic tile, which is not the proper way to do it. The correct way to avoid any slippage especially with 1/16" grout lines is to apply a thin layer of thinset on the floor, followed by a somewhat dry mortar bed, then the travertine is back buttered with thinset and set on on the mortar bed. The height is then adjusted with a rubber mallet. This set is called a sandwich and it is costly but really the only way to do it properly. With so many travertine look alike porcelain tiles I tend to steer clients away natural stone due to the maintenance, softness, porosity and installation cost.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    7 years ago
    That was supposed to be lippage, not "slippage"
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago

Yes, it is more to maintain. Norm makes good points regarding installation. Additionally, if the travertine is honed and filled, make sure the fill is minimal as it can break down at the fill areas and leave pock marks. Of course, quality and regular sealing are necessary. That said, porcelain will never be natural stone regardless of the attempts to mimic natural stone. Natural stone is a timeless and beautiful choice (used for centuries) but does require more maintenance.