Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 108 - Who is your favorite TV chef/cook?

beachem
7 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with TV cooks. A lot of what they show you is fake so it can turn people off from cooking when they attempt to copy the TV show and experience failures.

However there are some who I admire and like for their skills.

I only have 3 chefs I like so I'll list all of them.

1). Mario Batali. I'm not sure how well he cooks but he's like a walking encyclopedia. I always enjoy all the tidbits of random info that he throws out.

2). Hubert Keller. He's an amazing chef and after I saw him on Top Chef Master whipping out amazing meals in a dorm, I adored him. I loved his inventiveness in using things around him including the shower to cook pasta.

3). Iron Chef Morimoto. Watch how he cooks and how meticulous he is. I cook by smell and randomness and have learned to be a better cook by copying Morimoto's habit of tasting ingredients first before combining them.

So who's your favorite TV chef?

Comments (28)

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Laura Calder. And I tweeted with her the other day : )

Check out her updated kitchen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L4nZgdA-CQ

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

I hardly watch TV these days, but in the past I liked Jeff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet) and Paul Prudhomme.

My favorite YouTube chef is Julien Picamil from Saveurs. He reminds me of Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther movies (and every other person who tries to do a snooty French accent):

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

No one will ever compare to Julia Child. As a new bride, I learned to cook by watching her show...nearly 50 yrs ago! With Julia, it was always about the food, not about her. The same cannot be said today with the "celebrity chef" nonsense.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Oh, how could I forget Julia Child? I watched her show for years. When my son was 2, he'd run to the TV when he heard her distinctive voice, yelling, "I want to see her cook a chicken!"

• guco45
    7 years ago

Alton Brown and America's test kitchen are both the easiest for me to follow. i like hearing the why behind certain ways of doing things too.

• mgmum
    7 years ago

I don't really watch cooking shows on tv. I have limited tv watching time and so I watch one (or two if they are short) episode of a series on netflix after work and on the weekends if the boys are here, we watch movies or their stuff. I have heard of all the people mentioned except Laura Calder, I'll have to google her. I've seen some of their shows but not for ages!

I do have some internet cooking blogs I like. Perhaps a topic for another week?

• nhbaskets
    7 years ago

Ina Garten's Barn · More Info

Hands down, Ina Garten is my favorite. Love her laid back demeanor and find her recipes foolproof. Maybe she uses a bit too much salt, but that's easy to tone down. Her husband, Jeffrey, is adorable and her barn kitchen is a dream. How good is that?

• mrspete
    7 years ago

Alton Brown and America's test kitchen are both the easiest for me to
    follow. i like hearing the why behind certain ways of doing things too.

I've never watched America's Test Kitchen, but Alton Brown is my favorite -- and for the same reason. I love how he explains WHY things work.

I also like the Rene Drummond, the Pioneer Woman. I've made tons of her recipes, and only one was a loser; I figure we have similar tastes.

I don't care for Ina Garten or Giada.

My husband, who is a big griller, loves to watch Bobby Flay, but we always joke about how he's so rich that he's disconnected from "real people". I mean, he'll cook a piece of meat that must've cost $100 or more as if it's something you'd do on a Tuesday night. Once we saw him cook lamb chops, cut away part of the chop (for a better presentation) and throw away the part he'd cut away! Who does that?

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

Agree on Alton and ATK. We have all of Alton's shows on DVD's and my son has been to 2 of his live shows, one in Charlotte just last month. He makes me want to be a better cook ;-)

• bpath
    7 years ago

Julia. Our library has the old shows (including the black and white ones from my childhood) and we have enjoyed those, learned so much. We also liked "Jacques and Julia Cooking at Home", so fun. They disagree on some things as do DH and I, so it was good to watch that dynamic play out in an authentic way. And, from there we like watching Jacques' Fast Food.

We like New Scandinavian Cooking because 1)one of us is Scandinavian and 2) we love to see where they are on location.

America's Test Kitchen as well as Cook's Country, love both. But, isn't Chris leaving?

Nick, what's his name, Severino I think? He just seems to be having so much fun. We have no idea of what he's cooking, just like feeling his vibe lol!

• beachem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've never seen Julia as she was off the air before I watched cooking shows. I'll have to look some up.

• lakeerieamber
    7 years ago

I love to watch Alton Brown. I love to cook Ina Garten's recipe but don't enjoy watching her show. I got to meet Damaris Phillips yesterday and watch her do a demo although I have never seen her show on TV. She was very fun to watch in person, though!

• mushcreek
    7 years ago

Old school? Julia Childs

Recipes? Ina Garten

Entertaining? Alton Brown

We don't have cable anymore, so about all we get is Cook's Country, which I like, but not a fan of Christopher Kimball.

I also like A Chef's Life; not sure if it is broadcast outside the Carolinas.

...and Giada, 'cause I'm a guy.

• antmaril
    7 years ago

Ina Garten is my favorite. I think she is a great teacher and her recipes are delish. She and her husband, Jeffrey, are so cute together. Love them!

I was also a fan of Julia Child. She was the best!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

I have not made a habit of watching cooking shows much, but have gone through spell of watching certain ones -- in the 80s it was the Frugal Gourmet (also Jaques Pepin came on right after and my dd always wanted to see the intro where he popped out of the cracked egg each week!); in the early days of Food Network I enjoyed Emeril and Alton Brown (and I'll admit that I think Ming Tsai is very attractive!) but I would say my all time favorites are America's Test Kitchen and Everyday Food -- their recipes seem to always be right up my alley, and Everyday Food is the only show that I actually ever regularly tried the recipes!

Not quite the same thing, but I do enjoy watching Top Chef also.

• zmith
    7 years ago

Oh my goodness, there are so many from my pre-cable days, I always watched the Frugal Gourmet, Michael Chiarello, Lidia Bastianich, Ming Tsai, and the show with Julia Child and Jacques Pepin. Discovered Alton Brown on Good Eats after cable. Loved how he gave a scientific perspective of his recipes.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

The only ones who inspired me to actualize a recipe I saw on TV are Jamie Oliver, and The Neeleys.

• User
    7 years ago

Demaris has a great personality-she's one of the best winners of the Food Network Star shows.

I love PBS's Saturday lineup of Jacques, Sarah, Julia, Lidia, Martha and America's Test Kitchen.

Food Network is mostly really dumb cooking competitions, which are worthless to me. Pioneer Woman's show is decent, except the gallons of butter she uses!

• practigal
    7 years ago

Many years ago, I used to watch tv and then I really liked Graham Kerr. He has gone through some really significant phases in his life and through some of them I did not care for him at all but he is generally very interesting to watch.

I think that Ina Garten's cookbooks are some of the best out there. Everything that I have made from them comes out in the fine to fabulous range. My still favorite go to for recipes is The All New Joy of Cooking by Rombauer et al.

• User
    7 years ago

Ina is a classic, and I enjoy watching her. Her recipes have never failed.

• Kesh
    7 years ago

Gordon Ramsay, theatrics aside, I do enjoy his style of cooking.

Growing up, I remember Keith Floyd and his ever present glass of wine.

Haven't watched a lot of the American shows, but I like Guy Fieri.

• summery
    7 years ago

I can't abide the current slew of brash noisy American tv cooks - or the food they churn out. There are so many fabulous cooks out there - why aren't they on TV? Oh, that's right, we're supposed to like noisy and obnoxious...

I find many of the Canadian tv cooks a bit, well, dull, sadly.

I love Jamie Oliver - genuine, informed, informative, passionate and funny.

In the UK, loved Keith Floyd, the Hairy Bikers, and the Two Fat Ladies!

If you rootle around a bit you can find videos of Kenji Lopez-Alt, the Food Lab guy from Serious Eats. Knows what he's talking about and very charming to watch, as he's so diffident, for all his brilliance, and a refreshing change from the loud-mouths.

• summery
    7 years ago

Oh, and Jacques Pepin, of course: the star who shines above all others!

• User
    7 years ago

Jacques- the man makes using a paring knife sexy!

• localeater
    7 years ago

There is something about a good Jamie Oliver recipe, they are just so easily repeatable. I feel like they are less recipes than inspirations. But honestly I dont have cable and so dont hink i Have seen his show in a very long time. I do see his stuff online though, and I think he is very good with fish and veg.

I think Ina's recipes are very rich. I like a few of them, her oven shrimp scampi is a standard, but I think of her mostly as holiday and entertaining.

I love Jacques, Alton Brown.

Someone should give Mark Bittman a TV Show.

Used to love Ming Tsai and but less now as I feel he has gotten more commercial.

I like Carla, dont know her last name, she is very tall, she won Top Chef and is now on The Chow. I think she is home food, healthy, vegetable centric, fairly no-nonsense.

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

I have two of ATK's ccokbooks and love them. I really appreciate the science behind their recipes.

• User
    7 years ago

I know that Chris Kimball was rather polarizing, but he never bothered me. In fact, I like that he knows who he is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Take him or leave him.