Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fldhkybnva

Countertop indecision round #2 + more questions (backplash, edge)

fldhkybnva
7 years ago

I had some great thoughts when I posted a few days ago but thought I'd get more thoughts with additional (read: better) pictures sent by the fabricator as well as my thoughts now that I've had time to think more about each option. I am deciding between Colonial Gold and Colonial Cream. The cabinets are cherry-ish and the wall will be SW Perfect Greige. It's an open kitchen continuous with the family room which will be SW Dorian Gray (grey with brown undertones).

The differences/my thoughts -

Colonial Cream - need 2 slabs (I didn't see the second slab but was told
it's the next slice but requires more matching and the second slab
could be quite different); not sure how I feel about the large vein in
the middle and where it would go (I assume on the island or down the
long countertop and if so not sure I like that feature); overall pattern
away from the vein is less "interesting" mostly just cream with
prominent garnet spots (mom expressed concern of these standing out too
much like stains); I think might go better with the gray in the family
room

Colonial Gold - only need 1 slab ($1700 less); not sure if it will read "too gold" and match the gray in the family room-it's hard to assess with the lighting in the showroom both in person and in photo; I like the more consistent pattern but still has character

I think at this point I'm considering the colonial gold with a light backsplash but fear it'll have that overly gold/yellow look and interfere with design in the family room but I might be reading it as much darker than it is (I think both are pretty neutral)

Any ideas on a backsplash? Would grey or light cream subway tile work?

I'm deciding between 1/4 inch bevel edge and eased edge. Are there any pros and cons of either that I should consider other than just preference?

Any thoughts? I'm very new to all of this so any thoughts are welcome.

Comments (46)

• Lori
    7 years ago

i don't understand why you are considering either one of these -- both are very gold with warm undertones. If you are thinking of adding grey, they for sure will clash. I would go back to the drawing board and pick something else. I don't think either of them does your kitchen any favors.

• Lisa G
    7 years ago

I'm not able to picture either of those with gray walls or a gray backsplash. Some sort of cream backsplash will work, you'll just need to try several to find the right shade.

Price aside, I much prefer the top slab...Colonial Cream. If you're set on trying to make gray work with one of those two stone options, Colonial Cream would be the only one that might work, though I'm not convinced it will. Both of those stones will look cream & gold overall.

Do you have access to River White granite?

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The kitchen itself won't be grey, it's perfect greige which in that light looks more beige than gray. I only mentioned the gray in the family room as it's the adjoining room so wasn't sure if that was relevant.

Hmm, now I'm super lost.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Yes it is relevent and will have an effect on the color in the kitchen I too have no idea why these 2 granite s are important IMO neither goes with the cabinets of the gray in the next space and FYI you do not choose paint colors before deciding on granite and backsplash

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ Haven

That's exactly the issue I'm struggling with. I don't want to change the cabinets so need something to work with them but I also don't want them to dictate the exact colors in the entire space. Thanks, I'll take a look at the colors in your profile. Any suggestions or thoughts on the vein? It's a nice feature thought not sure where would be best to place it and do think the colonial cream would tie things together better than the colonial gold. It definitely has grays in it as well as the garnet accents that go with the cabinets.

• PRO
    Haven Design and Construction
    7 years ago

Both of the countertop fabricators that I use now have new technology to show you computer renderings of your exact slabs and how they will be cut prior to install. That would show you the exact location of the veins in your finished countertop design (especially the outstanding ones) and is really helpful in selecting a slab. Be sure to ask if your fabricator has this service. If not, there's not really a rule on placement of veining. It's a personal preference, really. Go with the slab that appeals to you the most. Natural veining is what makes stone beautiful and each piece unique, so embrace it! If you don't love the veining, you might like a quartz product better because it has a more uniform pattern.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'll be sure to ask, they have been very helpful thus far. They will come out to template so I'm sure I can also discuss it further then. I actually originally planned to go with Quartz but it was too uniform and I surprisingly loved the granite so maybe need to embrace rather than fear the unique features of the stone. I'm not usually a gut feeling type but kept going back to the colonial cream in the showroom. If I did a granite sink is there a color you would recommend?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Forget greys. It is trendy now, but used with white cabinets and greys. There are some great granites that r out there that would look great. Your cabinets are pretty but they drive you toward warm colors. Sometimes when I am stuck on a design decision, I get completely "out of the box" and I find alternative that is better. This is where you are. Be patient with yourself. Check out the recycled glass/quartz products. I could see some aqua colors with your woods and lighter wall color. Search "recycled glass countertops on Houzz and see a new world of choices. It is unexpected choice, but I think you might find great solutions! Enjoy!
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks, I'll look in to that and see what I think. I'm not the creative type and this is all getting a bit overwhelming but don't want to live in a house that doesn't feel like I made it my own.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Great. Even the sage greens would work with your cabinets. Just relax. We will help you. I am sure you can get a great look at a reasonable price.
  • hsharrington
    7 years ago

Hi fidhkybnva! I don't know about your fabricator, but when it was time to figure out what part of a slab went where, my stone mason had me come in to the shop and help him put my templates where I wanted them on the slab. It took about an hour to "template" both slabs, but I got exactly the effect I wanted from the granite. I was able to show him which parts of the slab I wanted to be able to see and which parts were good for the sink cutout, etc. I left there feeling much more settled about the outcome and they turned out just like we templated.

When dealing with a natural stone counter like the ones in your pictures, you kind of have to look at it as a flowing river. Even though it's frozen in time, the stone moves visually and shows us how all the smaller pieces came together over millions of years to form the beautiful piece in front of us. It's really amazing that something so striking is created randomly by the forces of nature.

• hsharrington
    7 years ago

Oops. Forgot to vote for straight edges on the counters. I really prefer that clean line. When choosing a granite as lively as the ones you showed us, I think an ogee edge is just too busy. Many people choose a bull nose edge, but that's a good reason not to choose it in my book. :;-)

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks, I not a fan of the ogee so that was out :) eased was my top choice with 1/4 bevel as a possible second choice for some character but eased seems a safe choice
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It's very true, I feel the colonial cream has more of that striking feature and I'm sure the fabricator would be willing to work with me to make sure it's as I want. They have been very accommodating so far so I'll give them a call Monday to see how they actually lay out the templating for the client to review
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    The eased edge would give your granite best look I think. Is it 3cm? I have had clients do the 1/4" edge and they (and I) think it makes slab look thinner. I like straight edge suggested earlier but it is a bit more of a contemporary look. I also think the big darker streak in the cream slab would look great centered on your island. Might want to check that out. That is beauty of using granite with "motion". Keep us posted on your progress. Have fun!
  • PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    7 years ago

Both slabs are very nice. I would suggest this edge style: Piedmont - sort of a "soft" bullnose. A full bullnose is too "round" looks dated. Backsplash tiles I would go with something simple as your counters already have so much pattern - cream or white tones probably best, I don't see much gray in the slabs. The backsplash tiles from this job are from Oregon Tile and Marble. The plain ones are called Koshi and might look good with you slab - they come in different sizes. Hope this helps. Caryl H.

• Vicki Kennedy
    7 years ago
    I would pick the colonial cream and stay away from the gold. A soft roll bullnose edge would look nice with the backsplash picking up the cream color in a subway tile. There also are some great quartz tops out there, might give them another look.
  • Vicki Kennedy
    7 years ago
    Really like the top in CK Hoffman's photo. Something more like that would also look great and last the rest of time.
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yup, it's 3cm. The current counter has a 1/4" bevel and you're right, it does make the counter visually appear smaller.
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @LisaG

I looked at the river white and it would work well but felt a little cold
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @CK Hoffman Design

I think that edge looks like the 1/4" round, I've seen it online, not sure if my fabricator offers it but I'll check. I like the square look but want it to have some curve to it for both appearance and comfort of not having a sharp edge dig into the arms if sitting at the counter. I like that style, it's a little softer than the eased but still simple
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @CK Hoffman Design

Do you know the name of the counter in that picture?
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @74Corralitos

LisaG had mentioned something similar, I at first thought it was too cold but now seeing that picture I think that might work perfectly with the overall cooler color scheme in the house

Any thoughts on this river white?
  • nancykbowman
    7 years ago
    Colonial gold has a gray running thru out. My designer could see it when I could not. I just put it in my new kitchen with gray walls and subway tile that has a gray tint. Cupboards are white. People have commented that it is stunning
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I see gray in it too...it has gray in the background which I thought would pair well with the grey theme in the house though can see the potential for clash with a slab that doesn't have as much gray. I don't want to proliferate too many options as I'm already bad at making decisions but thinking a whiter stone might be a better option like Alaska or river white. Do you happen to have a photo?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Maybe you should be looking at another slab. I honestly do not care for either with your cabinets/greige family room.

Why not black with black backspash? Gives a seamless look...goes with the family room.

• alicejean
    7 years ago
    You might consider White Springs granite.
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I agree. I remember I saw many white/grey slabs which would be perfect. I went there intending to go with that, not sure how I landed on the creams and golds. I'm going to email the shop tomorrow to see what's available. I saw a few pictures online and think that would work perfectly.
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks! White Springs granite is on the list of slabs I'm going to ask about tomorrow include river white, Kashmir white and Alaska white
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

Between your two choices I like the Colonial Cream. Think it would be very pretty. Maybe reconsider Cambria Windermere. Have you ever seen it in person. It has shades of gray and cream with flecks of copper. It also has silver sparkle throughout. Viewing it online really doesn't do it justice. I also think it would look nice with your paint color:)

• Vicki Kennedy
    7 years ago

Yes, river white or white springs would work well. In the long run you will be much happier.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree! A grey/white countertop was my initial plan so feel it probably makes sense I'm moving back to that and feeling less stressed by this all (other than worried about what the fabricator has in stock).

Unfortunately the fabricator I'm using doesn't work with Cambria, if they don't have a different granite slab I like I might have a look around at other fabricators to check out the Windermere.

This has been very helpful, thanks to you all. I think the new/old direction is the right direction

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 years ago

We ended up using Colonial Gold in our remodel. Yes it has some gray in it but we chose not to play up that color. All the other colors in it work with our color scheme and the gray tends to just fade into the background.

Kitchen from Hell transforming into Kitchen from Heaven · More Info

fldhkybnva thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the photos, that definitely reads very gold to me, helpful to see in a kitchen. The fabricator has some river white and Kashmir white in stock so I think I might see if those will work a little better

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 years ago

I should have mentioned that our cabinets are maple with a chestnut stain and chocolate glaze. In our kitchen and with out colors it works well.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I agree, it looks great in your kitchen! It feels very warm which helps me know it probably wouldn't work well in my kitchen. That was very helpful, thanks.
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    New options, I think these would work a lot better, the Typhoon white seems like a perfect fit, but love the silver cloud as well just not sure if too much with the cabinets

They also have white ice but not sure about the yellow/cream tones
  • Lori
    7 years ago

love the typhoon white -- I think the silver cloud would be way too busy, especiallyonce you added a backsplash. Have you thought of doing a different stone on the island -- maybe something plain and darker, like a dark gray or black in a matte finish???

fldhkybnva thanked Lori
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Which ever granite you choose don't let the granite people talk you into the 4" granite backsplash.

You will be getting a tile backsplash and it will look 1000 times better without the 4 inch stripe or strip.

• PRO
    Julie - Carpet Mill Store of Milwaukee
    7 years ago

Have you considered having the top honed? I prefer this look and always use it in my own home - especially with lighter stones. It softens the texture and color. I also bake and cook. Honed is more practical for rolling out a pie, etc. This means it is not polished or high shine - more of a satin finish. In my years selling granite countertops, I always prefered this.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the Typhoon White. I'm still waiting on pricing but if it's within my budget that's definitely the stone I'll go with. I was waiting for a gut feeling and sort of got it the minute I saw that slab. I hadn't thought of doing a different stone in the island but that's always an option. A dark gray would look nice actually. I'll keep that in mind. I think the silver cloud is gorgeous but agree it's a little much.

They did offer it but I'm not a fan of the 4inch backsplash up the wall. I'll have to double check that they are aware of that but don't see it in any of the prices quoted.

The Typhoon White is leathered which I hadn't planned on but think I actually like the matte look better. I imagine the look of honed is similar to leathered just without texture?

• PRO
    Julie - Carpet Mill Store of Milwaukee
    7 years ago

Kind of. The brushed/leathered finish can sometimes bring out colors and textures that a polish/hone wouldn't.

Should you do the 4" splash, make sure they gauge the thickness down to 3/4"/2cm so that you don't have super thick backsplash, too!

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Great, thanks for the tip. I definitely prefer no granite on the backsplash so will have to confirm that.
  • Lori
    7 years ago

sounds like a great decision -- and I love that the TW is leathered. Because of that, maybe you could use a plain gray polished for the island -- would look sooooo nice!

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks! The fact I feel confident in this choice vs the others is telling for me. I haven't heard back on the quote and laughing at myself worried that someone will steal my stone :)