Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeba_oreen

Help IDing my cacti and succulents also basic care tips please?

zeba oreen
7 years ago

I pretty much have killed two echeveria agavoides, and my bf got me a ton of succulents since I can't help wanting them constantly, so how do I properly care for them? I recently moved to miracle gro and succulent soil and added pearlite to repot. Could you guys please help me and I'm also dabbling in propagating, I grabbed two fallen leaves at home depot that already had roots or a plant sprouting but I recently decapitated a purple echeveria in the middle as you see since it became leggy?/spaced out with the leaves.

I also have no clue what's up with my 'painted lady'? It grew so much but now the leaves seem to be shrivelling

Comments (11)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would suggest that you concentrate at getting all your plants into well draining potting mix - before anything else - rather than using MG soil. Even cacti&succulent mix contains lots of peat and practically nothing in inorganic ingredients (just perlite in very small amount).

IMO, especially for beginners, it is so much easier to care for plants, without killing them, in gravelly mix. Excess water drains much faster, considerably decreasing chance of possible rot from overwatering.

I would completely change the last container: plant in the middle is Echeveria purpusorum and plants around are Sempervivums. They all need well draining mix and good sunlight, but Sempervivums will start growing 'chicks' and overcrowd Echeveria. Semps should be grown outdoors year round, they are hardy.

Painted lady - Echeveria nodulosa - grows longer stalks and could be just shedding older leaves - unless it is overwatered. It may look like it is growing a lot, but I think it is just stretching - etiolating - since it wants more light. JMO.

• Stripe Plant
    7 years ago

could i do 25% soil and 75% perlite? Is there anyway for me to grow my semps indoors?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Did you mention where you live? (Good idea is to put general location and/or growing zone next to your name...)

Yes, Sempervivums could be grown indoors but usually they don't look their best. I am not sure if they are better off with having to spend winter outside (some plants have to have x number of cold days to grow well); unless you get them really good light during winter they usually look quite sad. During summer it may not make that much difference. But amount of light is always less indoors than outdoors. But if you don't have access to garden or deck-balcony, you have to just do it indoors. Many ppl have to, living in apartments without balcony or any other outdoor space.

All of the succulents need lots of light otherwise they stretch as I already mentioned about Painted lady. I use lots of supplemental lighting in winter, and probably will improve even more next winter. here is same Echeveria purpusorum, still indoors (March) and blooming, under lights:

Adding more perlite definitely helps.

• zeba oreen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I live in NYC so the weather is very unpredictable and moody, it'll be 70-80° for a few days then tank to 40-50°f

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Not much different (perhaps slightly better) than in z5a in Canada...we had frost warnings about 3 weeks ago, within 2 days temps were up to 27*C (80*F).

My plants have been outdoors now for a while. They are now in full sun (after acclimatizing them first).

• Stripe Plant
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for your help, I've repotted the echeveria purpusorum and the semps, these pictures are from two days ago and I've just watered them all after a few weeks about 2-3 and upped the pearlite content. They're all in 4 inch terracotta pots.

• Stripe Plant
    7 years ago

Also I've logged in with Google plus but i think I may have clicked the wrong email, so anyways, same person :) lol

• zeba oreen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah I've skipped out from watering from the gloomy weather, and watered yesterday, how long should the pot take to dry out? I feel like with perlite, when you water they all float to the top which is a bit annoying.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

You could use topdressing of coarser gravel or small roks to keep perlite from floating. Some ppl do not agree and say that it interferes with drying up the soil - I never had this problem using gritty mix. (This plant was just repotted and larger rocks are there supporting the plant until it establishes itself).

It's not easy to say how long should the pot take to dry out..depends on exact mix you are using, the pot itself and definitely the weather. But whole idea is to have mix that doesn't stay wet for too long.

Lift the pot after watering and then again after few days to feel the weight as Lena suggested.

• zeba oreen
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Alrighty thank you so much, it actually took about 4-5 days to really dry out and the bottom of the pot has a bit of dampness. The first inch to two became bone dry after two days. I think that's alright. Thank you all so much for your time!