Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmcedorn

Need some kitchen backsplash advice

dmcedorn
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm just about finished a full kitchen remodel, and am trying to figure out what kind of backsplash to do. My countertops are quarts. They are grey with silver sparklies. My cabinets are antique white with a grey glaze. I want to do a subway tile that has shades of grey with a crackle finish, and an accent tile. I also have like a butler's pantry and wondered if it would be weird to do an arabesque backsplash in the same color as the subway color (same manufacturer) with a row of the accent tile on the top and bottom in just that area? I love the way the arabesque tile looks, but I don't know it it's outdated or "in". Please help!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    7 years ago

Backsplashes · More Info

Check out our Houzz photos listed under backsplashes to get some ideas! I like both of them that you posted as well

• Depo
    7 years ago
    I like the arabesque and think it would be fine to have it only in the butler's pantry, but I think the accent tile with it may be over kill.
  • PRO
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    7 years ago

I wouldn't do accent tile with the arabesque, let that be your accent.

• Elle
    7 years ago

I wouldn't do the arabesque and accent tile together.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

no accent strip for the arabesque, and make sure you know how many whole tiles you'll be able to see, height and width. the beauty is in whole tiles, not snipped ones. too small of an area looks moderately pointless. literally!

• leelee
    7 years ago

No accent tile period. Not with the arabesque and not with the subway tile. Too busy.

You could incorporate the subway tiles you've already planned along with some white in a herringbone pattern.

Don't ruin the look of your backsplash and counters and whole kitchen by adding accent tiles. Really.

• leelee
    7 years ago

Also, keep the backsplash tiles on the back walls. The walls the cabinet backs are attached to. Don't try to turn the corner and come out to the front edge of the counter. Almost always a bad result.

• dmcedorn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much! No accent tile, but I love the idea of doing two different colors of subway tiles. Let me ask you this...I was going to do the same color subway tile as the arabesque in my photo for the rest of my backsplash. That particular tile also comes in a lighter shade of grey. Would it be okay to incorporate the lighter in with the darker even if the arabesque tile in the butler's pantry is all the same color?

• PRO
    Hyland Homes
    7 years ago

I'd keep it simple (no two different colors of subway tiles), which will keep it classic and timeless.

• Jimmy
    7 years ago
    We just finished our arabesque backsplash. Our countertop is pretty light grey so we went with the darker with a light grout. Looks stunning imo
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

I would use the arabesque everywhere without an accent tile. Very pretty.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

jimson,,,,good choice. looks good! wish I could say the same for the child proof things. What is in there that's so dangerous?! lol

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

@jimson: These are a little more attractive ;) Beautiful kitchen!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

I'm amazed any child in my age group made it to adulthood. none of these safety precautions had been invented. Somehow we survived pulling pots from the kitchen cabinets.

• Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

We only had a lock on the cleaning supplies. Not sure why they couldn't just be moved to a higher cabinet...