Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shangyinl

Help-Will one slab enough for my kitchen perimeter?

shangyinl
7 years ago

We have selected a slab size
126x81. I think it would be enough for our kitchen perimeter which is 6’+ 6’ +
6’ + 4’ + 3’. But builder’s fabricator said that we would need two slabs. I am
not sure why. From the size of the slab, it could be cut 3 sections lengthwise.
That would be sufficient for us. Am I missing anything?

Comments (25)

• practigal
    7 years ago

You need to ask him to explain it. Maybe he is trying to match, maybe the cutting process eats up more than you're aware of, maybe he thinks he's doing a small backsplash along all of those areas?

• homechef59
    7 years ago

Have the fabricator map it out for you. Then you can see if you need more. The fabricator will need some additional material for corners, etc. With a template, you will know for sure.

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you guys! I draw a template to my builder. He was surprised that the slab is that big and will talk to the fabricator.
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Is it a busy stone or one that has obvious lines in it? If so, that eats up more of the stone as you want any cuts to match. Are they all small cuts like you indicated or is it larger cuts?

• millworkman
    7 years ago

"I draw a template to my builder. He was surprised that the slab is that big and will talk to the fabricator."

No, your fabricator draw a template for you!

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! I never used slab before and I am not talking to the fabricator directly. I have no idea how the fabricator works.

Can the slab be cut from any direction?

• practigal
    7 years ago

Is the pattern on the slab uniform? You never said what material this is a slab of.

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The slab is Alaska White. The pattern should not affect the cut.

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is it uncommon to cut the slab into 3 strips? Also can I cut the slab vertically along the width? Since my longest countertop section is about 6'. The slab's witch is 81".

• millworkman
    7 years ago

The fabricator templates the granite and you sign off on the template is how it normally is done. Were I you, no templates to approve no order.......

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You find a fabricator first, not the material. Then the fabricator will tell you what kind of material and size would be suited to your installation.

You're trying to have a custom suit built right now by buying some yardage of material off of EBay with no suit pattern, and no seamstress to even tell you what pattern works for you. You have no idea if you're getting enough yardage or not. If not, then you have wasted money and effort by doing it in the completely wrong order.

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Millworkman, thank you. I will ask builder for template.

Sophie, I am not buying it from eBay. Our builder has pointed us to this granite place to pick up the slab. The slab I like is this size. I feel one would cover my perimeter. Two slabs would have a lot of leftovers.
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

The pattern should not affect the cut.

There is a pattern direction on the slab so it absolutely will affect the cut

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Don't understand why the pattern matters. Our slab is this
  • User
    7 years ago

The slab has directionality hat has o be considered. Now post your cabinet layout.

• User
    7 years ago

That is a 3 slab kitchen. You really need an expert involved in this. You have multiple issues.

• cluelessincolorado
    7 years ago

Just in case this helps anyone advise shangyinl

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What are you using for the island?

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks cluelessincolorado.

One note, there is no countertop next refrigerator.

cpartist, island will be granite. It will need one slab without any question. No countertop could be cut from it.

• practigal
    7 years ago

So the only tops coming out of this slab is the area to the right of the stove and to the left of the stove? Is there a third piece that I am missing?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What will be next to the fridge. Also what will be in the prep area?

• shangyinl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Next to fridge is whole cabinet with steam oven, so no countertop there.

practigal , the prep kitchen area, which is at bottom left .

• practigal
    7 years ago

I can't tell without measuring it but I think Sophie is correct. One slab for the island, one for the prep areas and one for either side of the stove. If you will allow them to kluge together the prep areas with scraps from the stove slab you may be able to get it out of the same slab as the stove but you may never be what happy with how it will look. You should do a little research on templating (sorry, I know you're probably up to your eyeballs in things you really don't want to know about) and you really need to be at the templating.