Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tia_ns

Two questions on bath selections! Need help!

tia_ns
7 years ago
Looking for input on two things for our master bath renovation:

1) We are considering using the Quartz countertop material as the top of our threshold for the shower. The shower will be white subway tiles and will have a curb. I'm trying to decide if the Quartz is too much against the floor mosaic (in second photo). If we don't use Quartz, what else should we use? Floor will be the slate tile laid in a herringbone pattern.

2) I was also going to do a small border on the shower and walls using one or two rows of the small marble mosaic featured in first picture. The rest will be the white subway tile. Now I'm wondering if it's too much given the herringbone pattern on floor and brick layout of subway tile?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    7 years ago

The white tile looks a little gray(ish), is that true? Because the mosaic looks as if the white in it is brighter? If that is the case, I would look for a different white tile. It may just be the photo. Either way, I would keep the shower just the white subway tiles with no trim. (I assume the tiles in the second photo are for the shower floor only?) There are shower threshold pieces that are like a Corian in solid white are available most tile stores & home centers. If the whites match I would choose the simple piece.

• tia_ns
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The subway is white and matches the white in the floor so I think it's just the photo. Thanks for your help!
  • clubnev
    7 years ago

I like borders. I realize many people don't and maybe I'm not on trend because plain is the latest trend. I like a little pop of something with white subway. So I like your idea of the border. I think it is probably too busy to do the curb with that quartz pattern against that floor pattern. You could do a quartz white one.

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    7 years ago

With a busy patterned floor, I think the border is just too much.

• acm
    7 years ago

I think some accent in an otherwise white shower is good, but maybe consider using a stripe of your floor tile? You could do a vertical stripe of the mosaic as shown, or you could pick out some tiles from a couple of mosaics to make a double line, say one dark and one gray, and then put them however you want -- vertical, horizontal, or just around a niche.

Otherwise, I think you'd be ok with the dark mosaic you chose, as long as it's a reasonable match to the gray in the floor -- would just use a bit to break up the white, though, like maybe in the back of your niche.

I honestly don't understand where the slate herringbone is going -- is that in the shower or on the bathroom floor? if the latter, then forget what I said about the shower; I agree that the floor mosaic will be enough, and you could maybe use a piece of it as a vertical accent stripe or part of the pattern in a niche. Or you could continue the floor mosaic up onto the wall with the showerhead.

As for the quartz, that seems a bit much next to that latter mosaic, no matter where it is, especially since one has pattern within the material and the other is a pattern made out of pieces. I think I'd just have the curb made out of your white tiles with white grout. Quartz would look great on a counter though!

• tia_ns
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks! The slate tile is going on the floor. We did opt for larger slate tiles, 12x24 so we don't have a ton of tiny tiles all over the bathroom. The shower floor mosaic was a small fortune so I'm going to limit its use elsewhere. I'm leaning towards using the white subway tile or a solid white piece for shower threshold and saving the mosaic border for our hall bath when we tackle that remodel.