Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 111 - The #1 on your wish list for the kitchen

beachem
7 years ago

What was the one thing you always wanted to have for your kitchen? Whether you got it or not.

For me, it was a French door oven. I suffered for decades with minor burns on my forearms from the drop down oven doors. It seems like I get burned about 50% of the time that I use our upper oven.

They finally made one in the US that you can buy but I thought it would be another 8 yrs before I could save enough to get one.

Fortunately or not, I ran into two brand new Blue Star French door ovens at a huge discount. DH was so excited that he committed to helping me pay for it so I bought them.

His idea of what it actually cost was way off. His $500 contribution basically covers the front panel of one oven. He was horrified at the end cost but it was too late. No return.

As a result, I had to figure out ways to cut the non avoidable cost from the kitchen. This includes learning how to cut mirror and glass, using our closet doors for the kitchen and custom fitting the new upper cabinets around IKEA innards.

I'm also building some of the cabinets myself, making my own tiles for the backsplash in the bar area and making my own countertop.

What was your #1 desire and did you have to compromise or give up things for it?

Comments (45)

• amyfgib
    7 years ago

My #1 was having the kitchen open to the family room, which I have, but a veeeeery close second was a large island with seating and I just... can't... make it... work... ~sigh~

• cpartist
    7 years ago

beachem I love those side opening doors for the same reasons but can't justify the cost since I rarely use my oven. Most of my cooking is done on the cooktop.

• heatheron40
    7 years ago

Hmmm. I think a range in a color.

Haven't given up, just waiting for the old girl to die ;^) I just can't replace her, she's been with me a long time......we've raised the kids together....

I also couldn't decide on a color.....so I am waiting for inspiration and money!

• omelet
    7 years ago

If this retro fridge didn't cost 5x what we're paying for a small fridge in our lake house build... it would be the one!

• oasisowner
    7 years ago

Well, I got most of the things I wanted except - an induction range. I didn't want stainless and the only white one was way above budget.

• beachem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@cpartist. I cook on the oven a lot. I've even gotten burned several times on the door for our small Breville that we're using temporarily.

I don't mind the burn scars that covers my arms but it's the pain. I'm a wimp.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

You'll laugh but I was dreaming of a scarlet red electric teapot..:) for years. I got it last year eventually. It's a bit too noisy..otherwise it's exactly like I pictured it to be.

• DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

cpartist I'd never thought about the pacemaker thing - good thinking to check it out and get the ok.

I like nice appliances but don't get all turned on by them and have no intention of changing my cooking style to justify getting some of the gorgeous things I've seen here !

I've had 2 dream visions from the get go.

1) A dish pantry/closet

2) A beautiful hood centered between 2 big windows

• blfenton
    7 years ago

A pull-out broom closet which I got and a micro-wave drawer which I didn't get because appliances were bought at the beginning of the reno and I was still paying attention to the budget (silly me).

• smm5525
    7 years ago

cpartist: I had no idea about pacemaker either. My mom has one and visits for long periods of time and stays with us. I'm going to have to look into it. There's no way she's staying out of the kitchen.

• oasisowner
    7 years ago

My Dad was worried about induction/pacemaker also. From what I read, there is no problem if he stayed a few feet away while something was cooking.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

What if the person with pacemaker is cooking?

I'll have to research because my mom will be cooking. We will be having a gas combi so maybe it'll be a non issue. But I need to figure this out.

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Windows above my sink! I'm more excited about this feature in our new house kitchen than anything else.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Most of the "newer" type pacemakers are "bipolar" types. The older types are "unipolar".

Here's info from a study that was done a while ago:

"There are circumstances in which a device may be affected by specific sources of energy under narrow circumstances. This was illustrated in a study assessing the potential for induction cook tops to interfere with pacemaker function. Patients with a unipolar, left-sided implant could experience interference if the pot was not concentrically placed on the induction coil and if the patient stood as close as possible to the cook top. The most common response to interference was a reset to an asynchronous interference mode [6]. Most contemporary devices utilize bipolar pacing and sensing configuration, which minimizes the chance of device malfunction from electromagnetic interference."

I know that DH has a bipolar unit. Most new units within the past 20+ years have been bipolar units. As I mentioned, his pacemaker has to be at least 6" from the cooking surface. Somehow I doubt he'll be leaning over that much.

• patty Vinson
    7 years ago

My double ovens!

• lharpie
    7 years ago

It was having a dishwasher that motivated our remodel. Boy was that an expensive dishwasher! There were many many other things we wanted to change to make it a functional kitchen as well of course, but the lack of a dishwasher was what got us off of our butts to actually make it happen as we were used to/good at cooking in crappy/tiny kitchens.

• Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

This is a truly great weekly topic!

It is a difficult question for me to answer as I had several things that were must haves for my kitchen and I got them all.

Probably the biggest though was having, what I like to call, a "dead end kitchen".

It is NOT a passageway in any shape, form or fashion to the rest of the house. You have NO reason to even enter the kitchen unless you have a defined purpose for being there.

All other wishes tie for second place. Multiple dishwashers to combat my inherent hatred of dirty dishes and hand washing, large walk in pantry to store the vast amount of food a family of 6 needs, multiple ovens so family get togethers can stop being about me sciencing my way into figuring out how to cook 6 different dishes, with 6 different bake times and temps, into one oven so that the entire meal is ready at the same time, etc.

You deserve quite the applause and I say that being a fellow DIYer.

• Jillius
    7 years ago

Giant windows and a lot of natural light. We could not put a window in our kitchen, and it would have been SO NICE.

• mushcreek
    7 years ago

When designing our house, I spent more time on the kitchen than any other room. With two cooks in the house, we are very 'kitchencentric'. There were so many things we wanted after a lifetime of cramped, dark, poorly laid out kitchens that it's hard to name just one. For me, it would probably be having a second sink. I don't know how many times I've come in from the grille with marinade dripping off of my hands, only to find both sides of the sink 'occupied'. With our prep sink, the rule is that it is kept open unless actually in use. It has worked out very well indeed. Other strong wants were lots of windows, and no uppers. We got pretty much everything we wanted, except...

In the future, I'd love to have an induction range. We were on a desperately tight budget, so an induction was out at the time, but prices are coming down, so someday...

• mgmum
    7 years ago

Space. Didn't get it. I mean actual moving around space, not storage space or counter space. That, I doubled, but the kitchen is SO small. I would LOVE a kitchen that requires more than 2-3 steps to cover the whole thing. Or that more than one person can fit in at a time without touching each other.

• beachem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@cpartist Thanks for bringing up the issue with induction and pacemaker. I would never have thought of it.

• yeonassky
    7 years ago

Number 1 which I didn't get is the cobalt blue stove and the island counter top in glass or granite again in primarily in cobalt blue. That kitchen with copper perimeters and copper xlarge apron front double sinks has been burned into my brain since forever. I don't know why it makes my heart pitter-pat but it does. It's not light it's not bright. And No way an island can even fit in my kitchen :(

I did get an induction stove which I LOVE. Sorry for the shouting from the web tops. (But it's not cobalt blue :(... ) I should really see if it can be enameled.

• zmith
    7 years ago

A direct connection to the backyard and a better layout with continuous countertop between sink and cooktop. It seemed financially impractical due to structural implications. I would have to take out a bedroom and reconfigure half the house (about 1100 SF). So all I did was add counter space by moving the wall oven to the 24x24 closet pantry space, then updated countertops, sink and faucet. It'll do for now while I continue to kick around an idea to move the kitchen to the other side of the family room to get the connection to the backyard. O.O

• malabacat
    7 years ago

Seamless countertops. I lived with 6"x6" tile counters with thick grout lines for 20+ years. I hated them. Ugly and the grout was impossible to clean. Over time it always looked dirty in the most used parts of the counter. When we finally remodeled our house I got quartz counters. Love them!

• sail_away
    7 years ago

When we began to discuss the idea of downsizing to our future retirement home, I was looking forward to a small home, less stuff, etc. But the #1 thing I though of was my kitchen. I envisioned a kitchen with huge window(s) over the sink and surrounding counters. Along with that, I wanted to have few, if any, upper cabinets. As we zeroed in on a house plan that would please both of us, I not only didn't end up with a big window---I have no window over the sink. We are building a house with an interior kitchen and sink on the island. It will be a new experience for me, and I hope I love it when it's done. We are including other features that were important to both of us, and one wall of the great room is all windows. I'm hoping the light and the views out all those windows (which I can look at as I'm at the sink on the island) will compensate for my dream kitchen design.

• flamingfish
    7 years ago

Two words: "not orange." (In particular, not orange tile, and in very particular, not orange tile countertops.) I will get that once I get around to redoing the kitchen, because that and having a working oven are pretty much the motivation for redoing the kitchen. I also want a broom closet, which I think I'm not going to be able to do for space reasons.

• New Freedom Nurse
    7 years ago

Counter space. I liked my small space and the basic layout worked, but I had almost no counter top. I had a stretch of 1.5 feet and often had to use my range top as countertop. I now have a stretch of 4 feet between range and sink and 6 feet on the other side of the room. My space is still small but much more functional.

My remodel was driven by a need to vent to the outside though.. I could live with the poor counter space and did for 15 years but just could no longer live with the recirculating vent in a closed space. Yes it is a microhood, but it is 400cfm and does a good job. We don't fry much and it is a space saver too.

• happy2b…gw
    7 years ago

Thanks for sharing all the want and compromises which all turned out beautifully. Initially my number one desire was a walk in closet for the big appliances and oversized pots, but now I wish for a completed kitchen. We are in the midst of a kitchen remodeling project, that due to our own fault, has gone on way too long. We have moved into the space, and it functions like a kitchen. It has new wood floors, shiny new hooked up appliances, table and chairs in the dining space, a long folding table island, several tailgate tables from walmart serve as counters. I did get the closet.

It seems ridiculous and somewhat embarrassing ( as my adult kids smirk and nod in agreement) that we have not ordered cabinets, selected counters, and backsplash. Well first we got hung up on the design, then the style, then the finish. Closing in on the choices now- (she says hopefully).

• mrspete
    7 years ago

his pacemaker has to be at least 6" from the cooking surface. Somehow I doubt he'll be leaning over that much.

My mom has an induction cooktop, and while it's nice, it's so totally not worth risking anyone's health!

Probably the biggest though was having, what I like to call, a "dead end kitchen".

I didn't use that same phrase, but -- yes -- layout is the #1 thing I want. It doesn't need to be large, but I want a one-butt kitchen ... with space for someone to sit and "visit" the cook ... from the other side of the peninsula.

The #2 thing I want fits your question better: The Kohler Stages 45 Sink.

my number one desire was a walk in closet for the big appliances and oversized pots

Yes, this is high on my list as well. I'd count it as part of "layout". I have more kitchen stuff than any three people should be allowed to have: A monster-sized collection of pots and pans, well over 100 cake pans, four crock pots, two oversized punch bowls, and all the necessities for old-fashioned items like canning and cheese making. Oh, and seven sets of dishes. Anyway, yes, a large pantry is what makes my small, everything's in reach kitchen plan work.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

Thanks to help here yesterday, a 48" Bluestar range in cobalt blue : ) . Plus a larger kitchen (the current one is a 1.5-bum kitchen in a 5-bum household), and walk-in pantry -- we farm and cook all meals from scratch, with everyone helping out.

The compromises don't really feel like compromises since we're so used to budgeting and stretching, which means that the BS is a huge splurge, and going for function as well as form. But the range in our current house is a 1950s O'Keefe & Merritt we bought for $25 24 years ago, so it should average out well. Plus the kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities are all Ikea (the latter bought during their bathroom sale, and we hope to catch the kitchen sale as well), and flooring will be commercial vinyl plank throughout instead of hardwood. And I'm considering Formica for most of the kitchen countertops, much to the disgust of my kids. I rather like how dishes bounce on Formica and vinyl flooring when family members help out : ) .

• cpartist
    7 years ago

his pacemaker has to be at least 6" from the cooking surface. Somehow I doubt he'll be leaning over that much.

My mom has an induction cooktop, and while it's nice, it's so totally not worth risking anyone's health!

As I said, I checked with the company and it's NOT risking anyone's health!!! If the pacemaker company had even the slightest doubt about using an induction cooktop, I wouldn't be getting one. They felt it is completely safe for anyone with a bipolar pacemaker.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    7 years ago

This is great information, cpartist. I had never thought about/realized this either. Very good to know for future reference.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

When we replaced our cabinets 19 years ago my husband thought he was going to take a job elsewhere. We wanted to make the kitchen a little nicer to sell the house, though I knew there was a possibility the job would fall through - which it did. I had wanted a wood hood, spice boxes and maybe a plate rail, but my husband thought those extras were not necessary - since we were moving. Last year I finally refinished the cabinets and was able to add the wood hood and I retrofitted a cabinet with spice boxes and a plate rail - what I wanted 19 years ago.

What I would really like, but have no room for, is a walk in pantry. I do not have manny upper cabinets, and I like it that way, but it does decrease storage.

• practigal
    7 years ago

I would like a kitchen that is just the kitchen, not a combined kitchen laundry room.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

The laments of a small kitchen/small house owner (although I really do like and prefer having a small house): I had absolutely no place to put a broom closet, so the broom/dustpan hang on the wall by the back door. I did consider dividing the 24" pantry in half for that but decided that I wanted the dry goods storage. I am now thinking about cutting into the wall, between the studs on the basement stairwell to make one. Also, a bigger window and/or more windows. Heck, a bigger kitchen but that was never going to happen!

Because I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible with the quality of materials that I preferred (ie not formica) I bought a standard, off the shelf, under cabinet range hood. Even though it was the highest cfm in the store, it still is only 250ish and not adequate, so I am shopping something better (and hoping that this can be a DIY project without much if any wall/paint remediation.)

What I did get was more than 24" of prep space, and trash/recycling/compost under the sink, and a second window. So I am pretty content!

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

A built-in refrigerator.

• Patti
    7 years ago

We've been in this house for almost 24 years, and I'm not sure which I wanted more, counters that were not laminate, or the wall knocked down between the kitchen and den. We could've afforded to replace the laminate for years, but I resisted because I knew I wanted the wall down and I didn't want to spend the money to replace the counters twice. I also knew that I was waiting so long that the granite trend might pass us by before we had a chance to have it. Oh, wait, we actually did replace the laminate not long after we moved in. We went from orange laminate to a more sedate white/gray laminate. :)

We finally completed the remodel almost a year ago, and it's everything I dreamed of, and more. And the counters are quartzite and I love, love, love them. Worth the wait.

ETA: Also, I always wanted a gas stove, but our neighborhood is all electric. I wasn't aware that I could get a propane tank installed and use that for gas. I was so thrilled to be able to FINALLY have it, that once I heard about induction, I put my fingers in my ears to drown out the noise because I didn't want to have to internally debate a new issue. And I love my gas range top.

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

Storage space. My cheap builder cabinets were pitiful in terms of storage. My new kitchen kept essentially the same footprint, but with efficient use of space (drawers below, extra shelves above, storage where it needed to be), I increased my usable space by almost 50%!

Last year DH and I planted our first vegetable garden, and we canned salsa, spaghetti sauce, and chutney. After 2 years in the new kitchen, I still found plenty of room to store 48 quarts jars of garden goodness!

• jupidupi
    7 years ago

I would love a French door refrigerator. Or even a full size refrigerator. But my kitchen is too tiny for that, so instead I've ordered the new Bosch refrigerator that's just 10 cu ft total! Gorgeous, though, with a white, glass covered door. http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/refrigerators/freestanding-refrigerators/bottom-freezer-refrigerators/B10CB80NVW.html

Another wish -- I ended up ordering a stainless steel range because the kind I wanted didn't come in white. Hate stainless steel. I just hope they don't come out with it in white next year or I'm going to feel bad.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Because of the flood we are forced into a whole house repair and remodel. The kitchen was where I told my husband I wanted the most change and would likely be the place to spend extra money. I absolutely wanted to make it more user friendly for me in my wheelchair or rolling kitchen chair. I number one wanted an island with casters which could be moved. I wanted to blow out the wall between the formal dining room and kitchen and make it all kitchen, the formal living room becomes a dining room. We have multiple living areas including a huge sunroom and connected to it a huge room I use as an office but could be multi function. I am getting all of that. I wanted built-in pantries I have one on each end of the kitchen. I wanted new appliances and I got those my fridge was not working after the flood but it was able to be repaired for less than a new one and it was fairly new. I will finally have a nice big kitchen with enough room for me to feel comfortable in. My granite guy has been making the rolling granite islands and when I saw them in his showroom I knew it was a sign from above! They are made of extremely heavy duty steel with lots of bracing and supports with industrial casters with locks. I will have it open underneath for full leg room. I am very excited for this to happen. I am sure happy we have the rv to live in in the driveway but I really really want my house back and my new kitchen!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

White thunder granite, espresso cabinets, Barnwood look porcelain tile 8x48, Sherwin Williams Krypton in the living areas and kitchen, Fleur-de-lis accents, Sherwin Williams mega griege in the bedroom wing. Master is Krypton.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

An idea of what the rolling island is like, mine will be similar.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Hrm.. #1 wish? TO BE BUILT!.. lol

Seriously though.. lots of counter space. I can deal with anything, just wanted more space.

• Cheryl Hewitt
    7 years ago

#1 wish: a prep island.

For the most part I'm getting everything I wished for and then some. A big 90" wide counter-to-ceiling bumped-out window on the sink wall, a 48" Wolf gas rangetop, prep sink and a prep island with an end grain butcher block countertop, multiple ovens, a built-in, panel ready, Sub-Zero refrigerator, cork or luxury vinyl flooring, and no more laundry in the kitchen. Unexpected bonuses: second island, dual refrigerator drawers (in the second island.)

What I'm not getting: a second dishwasher or a mudroom.

I feel so fortunate, grateful, and excited.