Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahlouise_lathwell_fisher

Building a house - concerned about upstairs design! Help please!

Sarah Lathwell
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

this is my upstairs house plan and I have concerns...

will the dressing room be too small to actually fit rail space on both left and right wall and shelves at back wall?

is bedroom 1's ensuite going to look really long and narrow?

is bedroom one not wide enough to to fit a king bed with bedside cabinets? Do I need to increase the width of this bedroom?

Are the ensuites in bedroom 3 & 4 going to look odd and almost cramped in?

Is my galleried landing going to be tiny and therefore not worth having? I have now since decided to have a straight stairs without a turn to try and increase the amount of visible gallery I will have.

Any advice about layout I would appreciate as I am really really unsure...

Thanks so much!

Comments (10)

• Sarah Lathwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for commenting. I thought about that but I don't know how I could make bedroom 2's ensuite into a larger main bathroom without losing my dressing room, as I don't know where else either the main bathroom or the dressing room could go....

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Nothing wrong with en suite baths, in fact nobody really wants a four bedroom two bath situation, and particularly not in a new build!. These baths feel like afterthoughts however, simply stealing space from bedrooms, and where are the closets? How many children is one bedroom a guest and so on. Can't read your dimensions, too faint, mark up the plan and re post

Sarah Lathwell thanked JAN MOYER
  • keat3
    7 years ago
    My first thought was also where are the closets? I would much rather have my 4 bedrooms all have closets then bathrooms. I don't think all bedrooms need ensuites. Get ride of at least 1 bathroom and then you can do a hall bath and maybe a jack n Jill situation if you must. I live in a 4 bedroom and the master bath and 1 hallway is more then sufficient.
    Sarah Lathwell thanked keat3
  • keat3
    7 years ago
    I would make all the bathrooms into closets, except bedroom 2. Make that the bathroom for the hallway, if you need more space take a little more from bedroom two instead of going into your dressing room.
    Sarah Lathwell thanked keat3
  • User
    7 years ago
    I agree with no ensuite baths except the master. Bedroom 2 bath is open to hallway. We are also building with four up and will have all three of our kids share a bathroom.
    Sarah Lathwell thanked User
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    It's hard to read the measurements of your rooms. A Western King bed (6'x7') plus night stands can fit on an 11' wall. An Eastern King bed is wider and shorter than a Western. The ensuite seems acceptable. You can have rails on both sides of the "dressing room", but the space in between your hanging clothes racks is what matters. A hanger with clothing on it takes about 18", so you have 18" of clothing on each side. Is it a closet or a dressing room? If you plan to dress inside the closet, you need about 36" of open width. If your "dressing room" is 6' wide, it will work. Anything narrower than that is just a closet. If the plans are still evolving, have a meeting with the architect or contractor to go over measurements before construction begins. Things may look good on paper, but the actual finished room measurements are very important. The owner is the one paying for the design and the construction. You need to know what you are buying and how it will work for your family. Get directly involved in the planning or you may end up with an unpleasant surprise. You must always be available while the construction is going on. You need the actual room measurements to know if your furniture will fit, or to know what size to buy if you will be getting new furniture.
    Sarah Lathwell thanked felizlady
  • Sarah Lathwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everyone thanks so much for your comments - as the drawing isn't showing my measurements clearly I thought I would write them here:

All sizes are in mm.

Bedroom 1: 5128 (w) X 3290 (l)

Bedroom 1 ensuite: 2003 (w) X 3918 (l)

Bedroom 1 dressing room: 1825 (w) X 2673 (l)

Bedroom 2: 4378 (w) X 3953 (l)

Bedroom 2 ensuite: 2622 (w) X 2673 (l)

Bedroom 3: 3577(w: to ensuite door or 5003 without ensuite in room)X 4265 (l)

Bedroom 3 ensuite: 1326 (w) X 2675 (l)

Bedroom 4: 3869(w) X 3700(l: to ensuite door or 4920 without ensuite in room)

Bedroom 4 ensuite: 1120 (w) X 2675 (l)

Gallery landing from bedroom 3 to bedroom 4 outside walls: 3256 (w)

• Sarah Lathwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

An idea I have is what if I move bedroom 3 ensuite into the vaulted ceiling part - reducing the vaulted ceiling means that downstairs you walk into the house to ceiling and then the vaulting ceiling appears as you enter further.

Increase bed 2 ensuite slightly to make in main bathroom - take away bedroom 4's ensuite.

Remove door from bedroom 1 dressing room so make it open as you walk into the master suite.

good idea or bad?

Thanks for everyone's time on this!

• Jane Slaton
    7 years ago

I would keep the wall on the master wardrobe, but center the door so you have room for bars on both sides and shelves or drawers on the back wall between the rods on the side walls. This does need to be a min. of 6 ft. wide more makes it more gracious. I want a door on my dressing room, but that is because I am not always neat and I do not want to walk by a messy area as I enter my room.

Bedroom 3 if you have a bath over the downstairs entry use a sliding door for access. Vanity counter as you enter on the right then the toilet and a shower at the back. This needs to be a min. of 4' 6" actual interior width (not structural wall center to center). NOTE - you may need to go back to the turned staircase to have the head room needed coming up the stairs if you put the bath in the new location.

Move the door for access to the master bath down at least 24" so you can have a full vanity the same size as the tub. Move the toilet down close to the tub.

Hall bath - put the toilet on the same wall as the tub (hopefully you have the head room) - center the door from the hall - have a long vanity (2 sinks) and a linen closet on the wall opposite the tub and toilet.

I think one en suite with bedroom 3 and rooms 2 & 4 sharing the hall bath works well. The baths in the first drawings were very small.

Bedroom 4 can have a great closet where the bath was in the first drawing, a rail closet. I would use sliding or bifold doors to keep from using too much of the floor space in the room.

Bedroom 3 would have a rail closet on the wall that is next to bedroom 2

Bedroom 2 would have a rail closet on the wall next to bedroom 3

Your landing is small and even with a straight run staircase you still need open access to the bedrooms so the usable hall space is limited. If you don't mind a pony wall instead of an open railing you could build a cabinet 15" deep as high as the pony wall next to the stair case where you have the straight run and put in some linen storage. OR there might be room to tuck a small desk into that area. ( I think you will have to go back to the turned staircase for the head room on the stairs)

You could tuck a small linen closet next to the door going into bedroom 4 in the hall - inside the bedroom have some shelves before you get to the rail closet - to save space make the linen closet a cabinet, not a framed closet.

Sarah Lathwell thanked Jane Slaton