Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

What's wrong with these petunias?

Alisande
7 years ago

I have 14 pots of flowers lined up on the stone wall of my terrace. The majority contain petunias. All are doing well except for this pot. The petunias in this particular pot came from two different nurseries. I did nothing unusual with them--same potting mix, same watering, same fertilizer as the others--and yet they look like they're on their last legs. Further deepening the mystery, the bacopa planted with them looks okay.

These petunias, looking fine, are right next to them.

These petunias (and double Million Bells) are planted in the same type of pot as the ailing petunias:

And here's another pot of petunias on the wall.

I'm grateful so many are doing so well, but I can't imagine what caused the very sick ones to get that way. Should I pull them out and plant something else? Or is there something I can do to help them recover? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Hi, Alisande!

Unfortunately, some herbaceous plants like petunias can be affected by an assortment of fungal diseases, the spores of which are ubiquitous. Why some become infected while others don't......who knows? (Look up white and gray molds, powder mildew.)

I might be able to tell which of several fungi (or other issues) might be the problem if I could inspect the plants in person, but frankly, my own personal solution would be to remove the offending plants entirely and plants something entirely different.

I'm not one to reach for a broad spectrum fungicide for an issue like this, where the problem seems isolated. After the end of the season, be sure to dump all of the potting medium, wash the pots, and maybe give them a diluted bleach/water rinse before storing.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

14 pots.. and you are concerned about failure in one ...

throw them out ... and be elated at the success with the other 13 ...

then the question becomes.. what can you plant in it now ...

in my world.. it simply isnt worth chemical intervention ...

if you plant something this time of year.. i would move the pot to shade for a week or so ... until the roots get settled ... if you are in a hot temp area ....

ken

• Alisande
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, Rhizo! My thanks to you and Ken for responding. I'm glad it's early enough in the season that I can find something else to plant. (I confess I love an excuse to visit the nursery again.)

As I said, I'm grateful so many of the pots are doing well. I haven't had a lot of experience with containers--or annuals, for that matter--other than petunias and impatiens in hanging baskets on the porch. But I had to give up my perennial beds, and the pots of annuals I planted this year (32 total) are my garden. I'm enjoying them!

I'm in the northeast, not a hot temp area. But I'll move the new plants gradually into the sun.

Thanks!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

the shade is just to give the disturbed roots.. time to settle and get working.. before the plant goes back in the sun ...

bingo ... an excuse to visit the nursery ... hope you mean that.. rather than bigboxstore ...

ken

• Alisande
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I definitely mean nursery. I have two favorites--both with beautiful plants and reasonable prices. (Sometimes beyond reasonable . . . I picked up some Bubblegum Supertunias in 4" pots for $1.50 each!) I try not to look at the plants at Walmart--not because I'm tempted, but because it makes me sad to see how badly they're treated. Simply watering them regularly would make such a difference.

Here's how some of my terrace pots looked two days ago. I've since removed the half-empty pot. The Rudbeckia in back of them are pretty, but facing in the wrong direction in this pic. If anyone is curious about the wire fencing, they're two 8-ft. arches. Peas are climbing on one of them, soon to be joined by three kinds of pole beans.

• mzdee
    7 years ago

How did your bubblegums do? I planted 3 pots in the ground. While they are doing well I am deeply underwhelmed. They have made a nice but small carpet in the flower bed. I was cautioned that the growth was vigorous and to allow plenty of spreading room. They are hearty but I could have gotten the same effect with waves. Lessson learned cuz my waves come back each year.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mzdee, I have to say I'm a tad underwhelmed as well--at least so far. It's still early, but my Pink Passion waves have larger flowers and lusher foliage, making the Bubblegum's look spindly in comparison. We'll see how things go as the summer advances.