Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troy_farwell

Home stretch on the beach house kitchen

Troy Farwell
7 years ago

We're moving along well. My DW was able to come down last evening to help with the last couple of days of details.

We are totaling out at just under $5K, including the new fridge. We are keeping the old stove and dishwasher for now.

Yesterday was "trim day". This room it out of level and square by up to an inch, both at the floor and the ceiling - so I had to do a lot of scribing, cutting and fitting to get it all to work.

I'm really happy with the legs I installed under the sink. These are re-purposed from an old kitchen table we used when the kids were young.

Finally ready for the stove to go in today...

Thanks to some of you for the input on the tile maybe not being the best with the granite. We discussed it last night and agreed to change our plan and not put it there.

We do like it above the wood counter, and we'll put it in this morning. If you look out the window, you can get a small peak of the ocean - this is the "sea tile".

Finally, I installed the glass in the upper cabinet doors. It looks very old-school, which is what we were hoping for. This stuff isn't cheap at $80 a piece, but I think worth it in a very economical remodel.

Thanks to all of you so far who've commented and given encouragement.

I've been too busy to update my blog. Next week...

Comments (34)

• omelet
    7 years ago

Nice work! I love that you incorporated the legs from the old kitchen table.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Beautiful work! I love it!

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

Very clever to use the old table legs at the sink ... that looks awesome! It's looking great so far. This has got to be the quickest transformation ever from "start" to "reveal" on GW!

If you get a chance, maybe you can share your thoughts on your paint sprayer and how it worked out for you on this thread HERE.

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jellytoast - I did

• practigal
    7 years ago

Great!

• Steiger S
    7 years ago

It looks great.

• mgmum
    7 years ago

Looking good!

• sherri1058
    7 years ago

Wow! Nice job. I love it!

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

Can't wait to see it with the backsplash installed!

• busybeeinsc
    7 years ago

Would you mind telling, or showing, how you made the wood counter tops?

• Lisa
    7 years ago

Very nice! The sink looks great.

• beachem
    7 years ago

I'm very jealous of how fast you got things done.

• christina222_gw
    7 years ago

It looks great, I love that glass.

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well - about 98% done. My DW had to head home for the evening, so I'm going to try to get as much knocked out tomorrow as I can. I'm guessing next Saturday for everything to get buttoned up.

Here are a few pictures now that we've cleaned most things up.

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Troy, there's an old saying I've read on this site--"Fast, Cheap,
    Quality...pick two, you cannot have all three." You have proved it
    wrong! I love that you re-used the table legs, and used the tile
    backsplash, which adds a light, fun vibe to a house in a fun space. Great
    remodel--I hope your family enjoys it for many years to come. Thank you
    for sharing it with us.

• debbie12153
    7 years ago

I love it

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    7 years ago

We love it. You nailed it with the shaker style!

Suede Gray Kitchen · More Info

Gray is really popular and it really gives you that beach house feel. White can sometimes be too stark. They gray is warm and homey. Great job on your choices of color and style.

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

What a charming little kitchen. You really did a great job!! Now you need that blue toaster like in Kitchen Magic's picture to go with your tile.

• User
    7 years ago

Wow!!!! I LOVE IT! I wasn't sure about your glass tile but when you mentioned water nearby it made sense and now seeing it installed it looks beautiful!!!!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

It looks great. You must be so pleased.

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wrap up: after needling to take a few weekends away from the remodel for family and work, we got back down to the beach house and finished the details.
  • Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's the link to more details. I need to make a page that covers the whole process.

https://tf-workshop.com/2016/08/13/beach-house-kitchen-moving-in/

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Troy
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I have read all of your blog I love what you have accomplished. You are a skilled craftsmen! My husband is envious of your shop. He loves doing woodworking but now has no shop and all his tools and equipment were ruined in the flooding. I hope somehow he can get one together and do some work like you have done. Great job!

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That would be so hard - loosing my tools. I hope he can get something set up.

I "lost my shop" for about two years, and it was difficult. I'm sorry it happened to you guys.
  • amykath
    7 years ago

Beyond impressive! I LOVE it!!!!

Troy Farwell thanked amykath
  • Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

jellytoast,

Well...

We did the larger bathroom earlier in the spring.

We did the small bathroom last fall

And my daughter and I slipped in a full gut and remodel on one of our bathrooms at home over Christmas break. She did almost all the work with me as the guide. Super fun.

I've had just about enough of bathrooms for a while - but we are putting a half one upstairs in a few months. There's none up there now (house built in 1938).

We need to replace all the windows in the house, so I'm planning on doing the big, expensive ones in September - if the weather holds. We are in Oregon, who knows what it will be like.

I also want to do the pantry. It's just some larger and nicer shelving.

And... I'm going to be building some log furniture in the coming weeks, teaching a few people how to do it. Teaching is a lot of fun. Here are a couple of my designs we will build.

Right now, I'm building an industrial standing desk for myself.

Thanks for asking!

Troy

• Steiger S
    7 years ago

I love your kitchen and your furniture! What part of oregon are you from? I grew up there. I miss the NW.

• Troy Farwell
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We live in Sherwood, southwest of Portland - and the beach house is in Lincoln City. Not to brag about Oregon too much - but where is a better place to live? I can't think of any. We are natives and love it here.
  • Steiger S
    7 years ago

I spent years visiting Lincoln city. My dad lived in Otis while I was growing up. I'm not sure if that's even a real town or just an area. I spent many summers there. :)

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Call me crazy, but I thought the first picture was the 'before' picture because it looked comfortable and my thought was, "why would you change that!?".. lol. Awesome job. You added character AND comfort into that kitchen and made it feel like a "homey" kitchen while being brand new :P

Russ