Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (19)

• old_dirt 6a
    7 years ago

Cool idea, looks great. How big (tall) is the pot?

hostahillbilly thanked old_dirt 6a
  • Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

What a perfect way to display those little guys. I like your assortment of colors and shapes. Good Job!!

-Babka

hostahillbilly thanked Babka NorCal 9b
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

really neat ... whats the plan for wintering over in z4?

ken

hostahillbilly thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago

Now THAT is a strawberry pot that is just perfect for mini/very small hostas!!! If I saw one, I would surely buy it. It looks like it holds 8 or 9 plants?

hostahillbilly thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • dhaven
    7 years ago

I've wanted to do something similar for a while, but was always concerned about the overwintering issue. Also never found a pot as nice as this one, most are much smaller. Could you identify the varieties for those who are not familiar with minis?

hostahillbilly thanked dhaven
  • hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's about a foot tall but we place them on 2 foot pedestals for easier viewing. Overwinter under big buckets in the garden tool shed. Bevie stuffed it and I've yet to dig out the dirt tags and make dymo tape labels for each hole. When I do I'll repost here.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It alomst makes me want to get some minis.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago

Looks great! I gather you planted them in the holes? Is it also possible to just leave them in pots and place into the openings?

hostahillbilly thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Clockwise, starting with BME:

1. Blue Mouse Ears

2. Pixie Power

3. sport of Encore

4. Pure Heart

5. Tongue Twister

6. Little Treasure

7. Limey Lisa

8. Lakeside Whizzit

9. (center hole) Lakeside Downsized

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The top one is in a pot.

• frankielynnsie
    7 years ago

Can you give a description of the soil you use, how you water it so that everyone gets water? I have 2 herbs and sedum pots and the soil washes out when I water it. Since then I have put a 3 inch? pvc pipe with holes down the center that I fill with water when watering but still have a dirt washout problem. They are the old clay strawberry pots with openings that don't stick out as much as yours. Or, should I just hunt for a pot like yours?

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    7 years ago

That's so great! I wanted to do a strawberry pot with sedums but that is actually so much prettier!

When you say, "under big buckets in the garden tool shed", do you mean you put the whole pot under a big bucket or you pull the plants and put them under a big bucket? Sorry to be so specific, but I'm really curious about over-wintering potted hostas. Thanks!

hostahillbilly thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mebbe tuck burlap in your pot holes?

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The whole pot goes under the bucket or plastic garbage bag.

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

YUP, gotta do something special. lost a whole pot of praying hands like that, and i had sunk mine in the ground for winter. bad idea. but they looked fabulous last year ...

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

Oh I love it! Such a great pot too!

hostahillbilly thanked suncoastflowers
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Oh my! What a marvelous idea! I bet you will have lots of imitators...well, I guarantee at least one in Northern Virginia! ;-)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    7 years ago

What a great way to display minis! You found one of the good pots for it. Most of the ones I see for sale these days don't have the nice sized scoop openings on the sides like yours does.

Sometime I'll try minis again, but this time I'll listen to the "pot" people about making the right soil mix to give them a better chance to survive.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations