Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

Do any of you grow pomegranates in containers?

I posted this in the fruit and orchards forum but thought I'd ask my friends here. Do any of you grow pomegranates up north in containers? Is their care like that of citrus? I was buying corn at a local nursery where I found some very nice pomegranate trees...and a few gorgeous Nagami kumquats. Well, you can guess what happened...;-) Those of you who know me here know I can't resist a nice tree. I did not buy the pomegranate though. I was thinking of it just now and wondering how difficult they are to grow. I don't really care for the fruit much, but my daughters do like them. On the same note, the Nagami kumquat had six ripe kumquats on it. I tried one in the car after I bought it. WOW...quite tart...but...after my initial shocked reaction, I liked it. The peel blends nicely with the tart inside. It was like eating a little bit of sunshine. I fed one to my six year old daughter who loves fruits and veggies. She was skeptical at first and just bit the end....then she stuffed the whole thing in her mouth, chewed it up, swallowed, and said, "that was good!" I know many don't like them, but I figured she would devour them...as long as they don't take the enamel off her teeth!! Anyways, any insights on the pomegranate would be appreciated.

Comments (33)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It is at least 3+ feet tall, with a very thick trunk, and very bushy. It has a beautiful shape!

• User
    7 years ago

Oh Laura, I am so envious. What a beauty! It truly does have a beautiful shape.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It was pure luck! It makes my other one look so puny!!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It was $50! Not bad at all. Hines grower out of Oregon. I was impressed.

• jemmalix
    7 years ago

Hi! I do not know about the pomegranate, but I just wanted to say that your kumquat is beautiful! Wow, it's picture perfect, not leggy at all and lovely foliage. I'm glad you like the fruit as well.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Jemma! I think I'm going to pass on the pomegranate...I did some research.

• gregbradley
    7 years ago

I have a total of 58 citrus in ground and in containers and the pomegranate in a big container is very demanding in prime citrus county. I can't imaging trying to get one to grow in a cold climate. Maybe in a HUGE greenhouse?

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Greg! That finalized my opinion. From what I read, although pretty, it is pretty hard to get to fruit. I want fruit! Wow...58 citrus! You've got me beat!

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    7 years ago

Laura, i would think it would be ok in a container. I have 2 wonderfuls in my yard, they Love to be dry. I barely water mine and they grow like weeds. They're deciduous and will grow leaves in the spring, bloom and would give you fruit around October. They like a lot of heat in the summer. Not sure if you'd reach the required chill hours keeping it in your house all winter, I think most varieties are hardy down to zone 8a so you could keep it cooler than your citrus. Four winds has some good varieties for a decent price ,in fact, that's where I bought one of mine.

Evan

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Hi Laura, I do not know anything about growing pomegrants either but fell in love with these flowering types when I was at the botanical gardens in Tuscon a few months ago. I came back and right away bought two little plants from Logees; one is a dwarf and the other can grow a full sized fruit. I think this flowering one at the botanical gardens is just so beautiful. I wish I had a better picture but I snapped it quickly just to remember the name so I could look for it when I got home. It was a large bush and was just full of these beautiful flowers. I don't know what the fruiting ones will look like though.

Your new Nagami Kumquat is very beautiful.

Cory

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Evan and Cory! Cory, they are beautiful plants - the ones they had were spectacular. Evan, do you get fruit? Yeah, I don't think it would be cool enough in my house either. I think I'd better stick to citrus since I have little room!

• dnedd1 zone7 LI NY
    7 years ago

I'm in NYC and I have 2 that I treat the same as my citrus and mangoes and they have finally bloomed this season. Get it it's doable, mine are in small 3 gallon baskets with landscape material. Laura I will send you some pictures soon.

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

None for me either but wow that flower is amazing Cory! I think you can buy mini bonsai types that even fruit... They are so cute. Another hobby I have always wanted to get into but I think my plate is full currently.

Absolutely gorgeous kumquat, love the shape. So treelike! :)

7 years ago

Those are awesome Evan!

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    7 years ago

Thanks Hobby, those are the same flowers/ fruits from bloom to today to show the progression. There is 1 more fruit on the tree but it looks kind of dried out and I don't think it'll make it to ripeness. My other pomegranate (from four winds) has flowered but hasn't held any fruit yet. I expect it will hold fruit next year. In all fairness It was younger than this tree so it is still not quite mature enough to hold fruit

Evan

• jinnylea
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh my goodness, Laura!! Your Nagami Kumquat is beautiful! What a terrific buy..Score one more for your collection. .

Cory and Evan, those are beautiful Pomegranate trees. Evan, your tree has such beautiful funnel shaped, coral/red flowers, have you seen any hummingbirds attracted to the blooms and nectar? I have been so close to ordering a Wonderful from Four Winds. ...Maybe next season. :)

This spring, I ordered two Dwarf 'Nana' Pomegranate from Gurney's. They were very small plants, but, have put on a lot of growth over the past few months. They are close to a foot tall and are currently loaded with beautiful flower buds. The Dwarf is supposed to get around 2 feet in height × 3 feet, with small, edible fruit. It will make a beautiful houseplant, especially during the winter.

Hobby, the Dwarf Pomegranate I have can be used for Bonsai if I choose to go in that direction ...

• dnedd1 zone7 LI NY
    7 years ago

• dnedd1 zone7 LI NY
    7 years ago

I wasn't sure if they would ever produce but kept them now look.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is a dwarf pomegranate. It has been planted in the ground for several years here in Zone 7 NJ. It doesn't really ever produce any sizable fruit, frankly, I never even notice the fruit. But it's nice because of the reddish orange color. They are also highly heat and drought tolerant. Also, they are deer proof..., I understand they will leave the fruit alone too if you are growing the larger/fruiting varieties. I got this one in NYC's Chinatown years ago. The Chinese do like to bonsai this one, so may be available if your area has a 'Chinatown' neighborhood. The dwarf is cold hardier than the non-dwarf. Among NON-dwarfs, the variety known as "Russian Pomegranate" is supposedly cold hardy into Zone 6b. I have three non-dwarfs, but because they were not labeled as such, I don't know whether they are the 'Russian' cultivar. (May experiment this year with one of those in the ground.)They seem to be more commonly available this year (all kinds) for whatever reason. I picked up another dwarf at Lowe's recently and supermarkets have been selling the non-dwarf (at least I think they were non-dwarf..., bad labeling). Oh, they are all deciduous, so don't panic when the leaves drop off in the Autumn, they will return in the Spring.

7 years ago

Those are so cute! How do you eat the fruit, is it like the big ones with all the segments?

• User
    7 years ago

Hobby, I never actually see ANY fruit. If you go back to an earlier posting by Cory (in NJ), a picture of a dwarf is included from the Tucson Botanical Garden, and the label identifies it, alas, as "Fruitless". Myself, I never cared much for the fruit, but the juice is supposed very healthy. Then, I discovered the 'pomotini'..., that was the FIRST time I ever actually enjoyed a vodka-based drink. LOL!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

I would not consider growing a pomegranate in any manor other than in ground outside within a zone of 1 grater than its listed minimum. If you think Citrus is hard, just try pomegranates. YOU"LLLLLLLLLLLL BE SORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

The sad fact is that grocery store only carry the lousy tasting pomegranate.

• dnedd1 zone7 LI NY
    7 years ago

So I can leave them outside in NY winters? Mine did not drop leaves this past winter but I did bring them inside with the rest.

7 years ago

I think Jinny mentioned fruit above on her tiny ones. Yes I love Pom juice, just was drinking some yesterday!

• User
    7 years ago

"So I can leave them outside in NY winters? Mine did not drop leaves this past winter but I did bring them inside with the rest."

Zone 7/LI, NY,

As I said above, the Dwarf Pomegranate IS HARDY (in the GROUND..., not in a pot left outside), in the NYC vicinity in Zone 7 (even down to 6B..., especially with good microclimate). The variety/cultivar of pomegranate known as Russian Pomegranate is also cold hardy to Zone 7 (but I have not tried that one...YET!) My dwarf has seen 0 Degrees and been buried in snow drifts! Again, I have no experience with the NON-DWARFS in my area (Greater NYC/NY Metro Area/Zone 7).

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all your responses guys! I've been out at my kids' swim meet all morning and just got back. I called the nursery and the variety is Angel Red. She said the hardiness is to zone 7, but it would be best to put it in a protected spot. I am not sure I have a spot with enough light that will be sheltered. I need to go look around. It needs at least 6 hours of sun, which can be challenging in my yard. It sure was a beautiful tree though. It was loaded with flowers and had a couple of fruits on it.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

dnedd

Does your's fruit and what variety is it. Is your growing season long enough to get fruit before first frost in fall. Is you tree grafted or seed grown.

• dnedd1 zone7 LI NY
    7 years ago

Steve, I do not know the variety. I bought them off eBay a few years ago and this is the first time they are blooming. At the end of this summer I will find them a spot in the yard and plant them as others in my zone have shown in this discussion.

• User
    7 years ago

Steve, the first frost in the area is often as late as early December.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

subtropix

You have me by a month as my frost often makes it to early November. My last spring frost runs about 3 week into April.

• User
    7 years ago

Regarding the delayed Autumn frosts, we call it..., the Atlantic Ocean. LOL.

(Late frosts seem more variable, but mid April is usually safe.)

That ocean, btw..., was of no help from the two Winters of 2014 and 2015, which were BAD. Then again, deep snow really does help to insulate more tender plants and my dwarfs sailed through both winters and went on to bloom.

I really wanna try the fruiting varietal Russian Pomegranate as it is SUPPOSED to be hardy (sometimes claims are exaggerated), but as I really just grow by Dwarfs for the pretty flowers (without fruit)..., I can wait.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!