Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margueritey

Minwax Espresso or Dark Walnut?

margueritey
7 years ago

We are having our floors stained Monday. I'm stuck between Espresso and Dark Walnut. Does one come out darker than the other? They look so close. In our old house we had Provincial but I want it a little darker. Any advice?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

My suggestion would be to have them make up two samples on your wood. To really see the differences they also need to apply the clear top cost to the samples.

Graham

• margueritey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did that and they look so close. My husband insists the Espresso has a slight red tone but I don't see it. I just don't know if Espresso is darker or not. They look alike. Provincial was too light and I wanted to go a little darker.

• printesa
    7 years ago

I tried to find these two and from I saw, the espresso is the darkest. Of course, it depends on the type of wood you have as well, but in general, the espresso one seems to be very dark

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Try holding the samples under (in) different types of lighting, incandescent, natural daylight, halogen. You may see greater differences under different types of light. There are times when subtle undertones are difficult to see, especially in smaller samples. You can also try placing the samples on different colour backgrounds to see if this brings out something noticeable.

Graham

• Christian Decor
    7 years ago
    Either would be just fine.
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

And of coarse the wood species will also impact on the colour. The end colour and tones will be a combination of those in the wood and those in the stain. The wood species will also impact on how much stain will be absorbed, this is also influenced on the applicator as to how long they leave the stain on before wiping off the excess. Oil based and water based stains of the same stain colour will also be different.

Graham

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

The wood gets darker w/ each coat, too. If not dark enough for you after one coat, you may want to consider a second coat.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    7 years ago

I've actually used Minwax expresso and walnut stain on unfinished wood boxes. Your husband is right, the expresso does have a slight red tone to it, though they are both dark and can be made darker with additional coats (I think the containers said up to 2 more coats after the initial one?) it's a matter of what tone you like more - one coat of the walnut had a slight gold tone which I disliked so I did two more and it was fine.

I tried out a wipe on stain cloth from minwax also, comes in a plastic pack like you see with the travel sized packages for hand-wipes or baby wipes, also in expresso (after using the regular cans in expresso and walnut) and while it was the least messy of any wood staining product - that's another thing, stain is ALWAYS messy to work with so one has to go in with that in mind - it had more than just a slight red tone. The finished product reminded me of rosewood.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Application technique will have an effect, that's why you need to work with the hardwood flooring people on this. Staining a large area is a challenge and they will have their own method. They are not going to use those DIY staining pads.

Graham

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    7 years ago

I wouldn't expect them to use the DIY pads, just noting that the tone for one type of product looked much different than the other.

• margueritey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Our floors are red oak. The flooring guy is bringing a sample for both colors on Monday. I think it depends on how long it's left on before they wipe it. In my husband's sample he put it on and wiped it right off. I don't want it too dark so maybe I'll go with the Walnut. I just don't want it to be too dark. I just want darker than Provincial.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

I've been staining red oak occasionally for almost 40 yrs. I've only ever used MinWax, mostly gunstock, but some walnut. I brush on w/ high-quality brush w/ bristles intended for stain & don't shed. I wipe w/ lint-free cloth. I wait 24 hrs. b4 2nd coat, if necessary. Most of my staining has been moulding. When I did my mantel shelf system 3 yrs. ago, I found on the backpanels where there was large area, there were differences in absorption due to different grain densities. All areas got 2 coats, but some got 3, which I had to feather in w/ lint-free cloth. It's labor-intensive (time, not exertion) to do it right, but w/ wood having rich grain, definitely worth it.

• margueritey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow! sounds like a lot of work and I'm sure it is worth it! This is what happens when I change my mind at the last minute. I'm hoping it comes out like the picture I have in my head! LOL

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Margueritey, if your flooring guy is true craftsman, it'll look fantastic. Neat thing about stain is it's easy to go darker w/ another coat.

• hartntex
    6 years ago

Am torn also between these two colors on red oak flooring. What did you finally decide?

• nkyusaf
    3 years ago

Did you end up picking the espresso or dark walnut? We are having the same dilemma. Thanks.

• Christian Decor
    3 years ago

Dark walnut...trust me