Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_cleary

Need to update from 1990 Oak EVERYTHING

Elizabeth Cleary
7 years ago

I'm thinking about updating my kitchen specifically. My cabinets are solid wood and still in great condition. Would it be crazy to put on new door and cabinet fronts, and make my kitchen white? It needs to work with oak floors, trim, doors, etc. The large oak built-in is in the adjoining room. Is white trending out now? We are a young family, and I want our home to look fresh and fun. Open to any ideas!

Comments (15)

• Jan
    7 years ago

I would check out painting the cabinets white. Do research in your area, the doors are fine, maybe change the nobs. Look thru HOUZZ kitchen design photos for inspiration.

Elizabeth Cleary thanked Jan
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    7 years ago
    Hi. Not a professional but if you want a white kitchen, I agree that you don't need to change doors, just professional painting, and new knobs, or darker stain if you'd prefer darker. You will get many different views on whether or not white kitchens are trending out or timeless, so I would choose the one you love regardless of trends. I would also paint the island a different colour, paint your trim around the windows and doors white, remove the valance and update the window covering and change out your backsplash being sure to remove the granite that edges your wall when you do. Oh, and I wouldn't decorate the tops of the cabinets either!
    Elizabeth Cleary thanked Kathi (kmcd)
  • Kathi (kmcd)
    7 years ago
    And definitely paint the built ins white regardless of whether you go white or dark in the kitchen!
    Elizabeth Cleary thanked Kathi (kmcd)
  • Bette P
    7 years ago

I agree with Jan Moyer. Solid wood? Great shape? Keep them, why get new doors unless you want some that are glass fronts to break it up.

The first photo is gray rather than white, but they are oak cabinets that have been painted.

Kitchen Makeover · More Info

Dated Oak Makeover · More Info

Elizabeth Cleary thanked Bette P
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I have an idea for you that might be really pretty for your space. Let me find a picture to show what I mean.
    Elizabeth Cleary thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Jacque O Designs
    7 years ago

I would suggest that if you go with all white (I'd go with a soft white) cabinetry that you change the door fronts on your cabinets. Otherwise, you will constantly be cleaning the door fronts because they will collect dust and dirt. Possibly a flat panel door. Also in order to break up the white I would suggest painting the island base a different color. Something to break up all the white and add character to the room.

Elizabeth Cleary thanked Jacque O Designs
  • Bev
    7 years ago

I love your cabinets the way they are (I do not care for white painted cabinets). They look to be in great shape!

Elizabeth Cleary thanked Bev
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

My idea is based on some "assumptions" I have about your home. It looks like a large home and done in a traditional fashion. If you paint the cabinets white, it will be a stark difference that might not "dance" well with the rest of your home? So, what is you took a slightly different approach. There is a technique called French Oak. It basically is a base stain that is a brown/gray color, then a whitewash is applied and rubbed off, leaving white in the crevices of the oak. It is really gorgeous. I think something like this would be unique and blend perhaps with the rest of your home. Take is from "traditional" to "transitional" and create a lovely look. Here are some photos to show the "color" you could achieve.

Sausalito Kitchen · More Info
    This is more modern style, but I wanted to show you the "look of the wood".
    Piedmont ResidenceVI · More Info
    The table in this picture is along the lines of the "French Oak" treatment. If you consult with a cabinet maker who does the offsite refinishing, they can help you achieve this look. It would enhance your great wood cabinets and yet achieve a whole new look. I can't tell the color of your flooring, but of course, once you start a kitchen "redo" it has a domino affect. But those are things you will have to consider. White with your current flooring could be not so great either. I will continue to search for the "right pictures" for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Here is one that is closer to what I am talking about.

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
    I think this would be lovely but of course, not sure what you are going for. Just giving you options and ideas. Restoration Hardware has a lot of this approach. So you might get some ideas from there website. I just kind of hate to "paint" good wood cabinetry.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Assuming you are keeping the trim as is, I wouldn't spend money on painting the cabinets. I would spend it on more colorful fabrics and decor.

Elizabeth Cleary thanked JudyG Designs
  • qam999
    7 years ago

Flo's idea is beautiful, I'd go with that.

As to the non-kitchen built-ins, I'd be tempted to make them a color (not oak, not white) such as dark olive.

Elizabeth Cleary thanked qam999
  • km kane
    7 years ago
    Who cares about trends? I never ever ever! liked oak, and always liked painted cabinets. Wouldn't recommend blinding white, perhaps a line or soft white. Living room cabinets could be painted any color. Go for it!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

For the family room wood wall, this is a place where painting might be a good choice. I would keep it light though, especially if you go with a version of the humed French Oak treatment. Then you could actually do a whitewash on the existing oak, wipe and create a kind of companion treatment to the kitchen. It should be different than the kitchen. No matchy matchy! Do these two rooms open to each other? Keep them in "concert" so you don't have a widely divergent style in each room, but not identical.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

The term "humed" in this case is to "replicate" huming. Humed wood is wood that has been exposed to ammonia and the ammonia darkens certain oak types. For your purposes, the approach to achieve this "look" is to simply stain the desired under color, in this case a driftwood, grey/brown look, then apply whitewash to get into grain of oak and produce this gorgeous finished look. Just thought that might require a little explaining. You can look this up for more detailed explanation if you wish.