Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Thoughts on black or gun metal grey faucets?

rockybird
7 years ago

I have chrome hansgrohe fixtures in my current master bath and they get so dirty and show fingerprints. I was thinking of going gun metal grey or black in my master bath addition. Anyone have any opinions of these? I can get matching bathtub/shower fixtures. Here are pics of two faucets I am considering. The floor tile will be Ann saks fake marble, walnut vanities and white Quartz countertop. The shower will be white or fake marble. Thanks for any opinions!!!

Comments (30)

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

First I've heard of it - is this the latest trend? I was just thinking how nice it is that the 13 year old house I bought last year has all chrome faucets and how happy I am not to have some outdated trend. Of course all those things can be replaced but I'm glad not to have to dispose of perfectly good faucets that have an outdated finish.

rockybird thanked 3katz4me
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

I know Kohler makes some, whose are these?

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

I also have Hansgrohe in my master bath but in their satin nickel finish. We have the same issues- the fingerprints and water marks are driving me crazy.

While I really love gun metal, I'm not convinced it won't show finger prints. I also think black would look better with your choices. So I'd go with black.

rockybird thanked Ellie RK
  • Ellie RK
    7 years ago

@palimpsest Newport Brass

rockybird thanked Ellie RK
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

I think if you are going with Newport Brass, I would look at white

rockybird thanked palimpsest
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

I think the dark is lovely but my guess is that they will also show water spots, finger prints, etc.

rockybird thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • User
    7 years ago

Our master bath has RH Bistro in ORB by Newport Brass. It is as close to black without it actually being black. The only issue we've had is half of the ring attached to bottom of one sink has peeled and revealed brass.

rockybird thanked User
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks guys! California Faucets makes all of their faucets in black and kallista makes the gun metal grey. Brixo also makes the black. I think I am leaning towards the black also. I kind of want to do something different in the bathroom...

Pal-the white is awesome - but how would it look on a white Quartz counter? Also, would I want to get white shower/bath fixtures?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I forgot to add - I do think that part of the problem here is the water is so darned hard. Everything gets water spots and build up. If I got a water softener, that would go a long way.

• chispa
    7 years ago

Don't get Newport Brass products. I used their faucets and hardware when I remodeled the powder room and a secondary bath last year. I've never had faucets and hardware where so many of the set screws loosen up on their own constantly. I now keep a small wrench key at my desk so that every other week I go around and tighten all the set screws. I need to apply some locktight to all the set screws, but I've never had this problem with any other brand, even much cheaper ones.

rockybird thanked chispa
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

I think white on white could look good with the window backdrop. Vola also makes white fixtures.

• aimeekm
    7 years ago

I love the look of the black fixtures, and it would go so well with the design of the room. But I think the cleaning issues would be tenfold with black vs. chrome, especially with hard water.

rockybird thanked aimeekm
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The dark finish will show water spots and hard water deposits MUCH WORSE than chrome. Also, Newport Brass has awful reliability and even worse customer support. I've had several disasters with them and I learned my lesson never to spec something just because they offered the right finish. Look for a quality manufacturer FIRST.

rockybird thanked User
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

Phylrich also makes a variety of finishes including black and white but I don't know about their quality.

It's hard to know about quality anymore, my plumber is very good but insists one well known brand is no good and loves the brand that was in this house, almost brand new, and falling apart when I bought the house. I think the one I like is harder to install, mostly.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

If you are going for all the black accents, I'm not sure gun metal makes sense.

In my experience, they all show fingerprints, water spots and mineral deposits.

What do kitties have to do with anything? Good Lord, I can't keep up.

rockybird thanked Vertise
  • User
    7 years ago

If Chispa hasn't scared you away from NPB, our faucets do not show fingerprints at all. We have hard water, so the grooves sometimes have a slight build up on DH sink. Since mine doesn't, I often wonder if his is just toothpaste splashes. My sink water water valve has been replaced twice. RH mailed replacement parts both times, free of charge. After the second failure, I think it has something to do with handle too and not just valve since other sinks don't have issues.

rockybird thanked User
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Rockybird, you could you eliminate 90% of water spots and fingerprints with an uber cool, water saving, hands-free Tapmaster. It doesn't use batteries. It doesn't use electricity. We have them in both bathrooms and in the kitchen. Two of our faucets are orb and one is brushed satin nickel. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

www.tapmaster.ca

I would recommend the model that has a plate on the toe kick. You simply press your toe against the plate for water. And if needed you can press down on the plate for it to work as it normally would without a tap master. BEST INVENTION EVER :) our oldest one was installed in 2002 and still works perfectly.

Love the darker finishes but those handles are going to be a pain to clean.

rockybird thanked monicakm_gw
  • User
    7 years ago

We have a black faucet and iron sink base in our downstairs bathroom (installed when we built in 2006) and hard water, it's not difficult to clean and doesn't spot nearly as much as the chrome faucet in the kitchen. Granted, it doesn't get the same hard use, but we are going to replace the faucet in the kitchen soon (as soon as I decide what I want, ha!), and its going to be black or possibly brass. Sorry for cruddy iPad pic, my camera doesn't like to post pics to GW.

rockybird thanked User
  • rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone! @snookums- the only things that were going to be black were going to be the fixtures.

@monika_gw. Thanks! That is a great idea, but the cabinet will be floating and I'm not sure I want to see the pedal on the floor.

@Pal - thanks! I think the AJ faucets are a strong consideration given they go along with the era.

Okay- so I am now thinking I should go with chrome after reading everyone's thoughts. The salesguy told me gun metal grey was becoming popular because it doesn't show fingerprints, but I am not sure that color will work anyway.

What do you guys think of the AJ Vola faucets in chrome, with one green or black one in the attached powder room? Would that be crazy? The cabinets will be walnut, the counters white Quartz, the floors Ann saks marble.

Powder room is in the back:

Another one I like is this one from kallista:

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

What will be directly outside the windows where this vanity will float? Plant color etc.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It will be cactuses and succulents - very green with red dirt, a white block wall for privacy and the red mountain over the wall.

• chispa
    7 years ago

Rocky,

The faucets, bath fittings and accessories I used for my master bath remodel came from http://waterdecor.com/ , also a CA company. They have been in just under 2 years and no problems so far. They were a more difficult installation, but the plumber figured it out with a quick call to the company.

rockybird thanked chispa
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

I'd be tempted to do white to completely disappear, green to go with the cactus, or brown to go with the walnut, if I was using Vola.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks chispa! I will check them out!

@pal-say I go with white or a different brand like the kallista for the larger vanity...how crazy would it be to with a green one in the powder room...should all three faucets match? I'm thinking of using this cool mirror I bought from my friend (32") in that room...maybe with Aqua/turquoise or mint-blue small glass tiles on the wall behind it and a white or green faucet. I just wonder if the Vola might be too small for main faucets.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

I don't think they have to match from one bathroom to the next, especially powder rooms.

In fact it seems like a lot of modernist houses here and in places like Palm Springs will have a totally random powder room that is 1960s high regency:

Not that I am suggesting it, just that I've seen this much of a variation.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! But this powder room is part of the master bath...do you see it in the left corner? It has its own sink.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Oh the toilet enclosure? I still think it could be something like the Vola

• rockybird
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! Even if I put kallista larger faucets in the main larger vanity on the right?

• User
    7 years ago

Saw this bathroom on a local architects FB page, and thought of you. He did wall mounted lights and faucets to keep things off the back. The mirrors are custom metal/iron. I don't care for the mirrors being off centered from the sinks, but thought the side mounting was a good idea. Christopher Architects