Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jinnylea

Four Winds Trees Have Arrived

jinnylea
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Here they are.. They arrived late yesterday afternoon by UPS. I ordered seven, 3 year old trees. A Sudachi Mandarin, Yuzu, Trovita Sweet Orange, Sanguinelli Blood, Genoa Lemon, and, 2 Santa Teresa Lemons. They were packaged well, and I was very surprised they came in a pot. According to their website, I thought they would be bare root and packed in sawdust! Fooled me!! :) All trees are planted in gritty mix, in pot's 16 and 18 inches.

We had rain last evening. and, more rain in the forecast through possibly Thursday.. Along with cooler temperatures in low eighties to high seventies... Great for the trees! :)

The Genoa Lemon was watered very well, extremely heavy..It lost a lot of leaves in transit, and lost more when I took it out of the box and transplanted it. Mostly the bottom third of the plant. It is a fairly large tree and we'll branched. The tree itself had a few lemons on it, and looked nice until more leaves fell off..lol . When I transplanted it, the roots looked good despite being water logged, even though they were in soggy sawdust/peat muck. I tried to gently soak as much of it off as I could get..

The Sudachi looks healthy and came with a few fruit.. Very nice little tree..

Yuzu pictured on the right...Nice, healthy looking trees, with good looking roots..

Trovita Sweet Orange... What a beautiful, very healthy tree! The roots were massive and, took up the whole pot it came in, I soaked it in a bucket of water, and tried to gently soak and shower the older peat/sawdust etc. off of the roots, but, I only succeeded in getting half of it off! :)

Sanguinelli Blood... Healthy with a good root mass! Beautiful, little tree!!

Last, but, not least.. My most anticipated citrus!! Two Santa Teresa Lemons! One tree had a few little lemons on it, one fell off in transit, and, one was attached to a partially broken stem..and, it also had webs and bugs on the leafs!! Plus, when I transplanted it, the roots were only about three inches long all around!! I was disappointed in the looks and health of the tree. I gently hosed all the leaves down..It definitely needs some tlc, and. with some feed to green the leaves up more! I have sinve taken the remaining fruit off..The other Santa Teresa had a healthy root mass, and over all was in better shape. Not a bad little tree..

I was exhausted last evening after transplanting and carrying the heavy pots! My neck and lower back hurt, and, I needed a hot shower and a heating pad!! :D

Comments (42)

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Group shot!

• User
    7 years ago

I am sorry about the Santa Teresa. How long/far were the trees in transit? I wish I could experience the joy of new arrivals again but don't have the room anymore. They do look good,though.

Vlad

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Whoa mega order Jinny! Awesome congrats, so jealous of your Four Winds haul.

The Santa Theresa leaves look nice though, I am sure they will recover. Can you try and make a cutting of that broken branch?

Genoa lemon? That sounds gorge!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Genoa lemon...hmm...what characteristics of that variety made you get it? Just curious...

7 years ago

I knew you'd be on it Laura! ;0

7 years ago

Laura they should be fine... my trees routinely take an entire 5 days to get here and once it was a long weekend and so they were held an extra 2.5 days on top of that!! I know it's stressful but should be ok. I was very panicky too.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Thanks Hobby! You make me feel better. It seems silly, but I could not fall asleep - and I normally am sleeping before my head hits the pillow ;-)

• pip313
    7 years ago

They don't usually come in pots. Can you post a pic of the pots? I'm curious if they sent 2 year olds.

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Vladimir and Laura, I placed the original order back on July 22nd. Four Winds placed the orders on hold for possibly two weeks or so, because of the heatwave all across the country. (We were expecting a brief cool down when I placed the order.. lol.. ) I received a email from UPS, on Monday, August 8th, stating it was shipped and the scheduled delivery date was for Monday, August 15th. . I freaked also, because we were having a heatwave during that transit time, and it would be just over seven long days in transit!! Thank goodness Sunday and Monday were a bit cooler.. When I placed my order with Four Winds, I checked UPS shipment that was best for the mid-west, expecting it would only be in transit for five days, Monday through Friday.

Laura, don't freak out!! I freaked enough for the both of us.:D The trees did fine, except the Genoa lost a number of leaves from stress.. They water them pretty well before they ship. I think yours will be ok.. I live in the upper mid-west.

Hobby and Laura, I am fascinated by the history of the Mediterranean Lemons. Did you know that the Eureka Lemon is actually an Italian lemon? It was developed in California in the1850's from seeds sent from Italy. The Genoa Lemon is a Eureka type, somewhat more vigorous and cold resistant, with lush, dense foliage compared to the Eureka.. Although the fruit is indistinguishable from each other..

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pip, I was surprised they were in pot's also. They are definitely 3 year old trees. They are bit more developed than the 2 year old trees that I ordered this past spring. The trunks are slightly thicker and they have more branching.

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

At least I hope they are ALL 3 year trees.. Here is another picture of the pot they came in.. I should go back out and read the tag they came with.

The tag does not have the age of the tree on it. I wish they did!

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pip, the order I previously placed for 2 year old trees were shipped in tall, narrow containers..

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hobby, I clipped off that broken branch with the attached lemon, and, put it in a saucer of water while I continued on with the potting. My husband saw one of our turkeys come up and snatch it away.. lol

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Jinny and Pip, my 3 year old trees from them have also been potted. My ST was a 3 yr tree and came in a pot like Jinny's. I hope UPS overestimated that transit time. I feel better hearing your experiences, but it still stresses me out! It is still quite hot here, but should cool off a bit towards the end of this week. Jinny, I wish I did not have FOUR Meyer lemon trees. I love Meyers, but I'd trade one out for another Italian one...

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Oh and you made me laugh about your turkey thief!!

• rolandr12
    7 years ago

Jinny, you made out pretty good with the Santa Teresa already having lemons. I received a 3 yr old tree which appears to be a similar size as yours. I called FW out of curiosity to ask when to expect fruiting to occur. The kind gentleman said it'd take another two years. I recall Laura also didn't have fruit. I'm just curious why the discrepancy. Maybe the gentleman was I'll advised when saying another two years? Anyone else have any ideas on this variety?

• rolandr12
    7 years ago

Also, a your trees look great. Congrats on the new arrivals.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I'm interested in this myself. Roland, I have no idea. Mine is not what I would call vigorous. It is lovely and has a great shape and beautiful leaves, but is not a quick grower. She reminds me of my aristocratic (thornless) key lime. That said, I have read that the lemons are wonderful, so hopefully worth the wait!

7 years ago

That's hilarious jinny, yes fowl certainly are curious... And hungry! Interesting to find out what the turkey thought of the lemon.

Every time I bring some veg scraps out for them or something they are completely underfoot, I have to practically kick them out of the way just to walk!

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Roland!! :)

Laura and Roland, I have no idea why or when your Santa Teresa will set fruit, but, you both have lovely trees! I am sure they will in time, given the right conditions. I was surprised one of my Santa Teresa's had a few lemons growing on it when it arrived. My Genoa had one growing on a branch also.

From what I learned and read on the Four Winds website, their trees are grafted, the scion, which is the fruiting wood, is capable of flowering in its first year, if a fruit develops they pinch it off, and, that encourages leaf and stem development... Generally a 2-3 year Santa Teresa tree will bloom in spring and fall when they are given the adequate light, water and fertilizer.. The tree will have the capacity to set and produce fruit as it continues to grow each year. It takes 6 to 9 months for edible fruit. The fruit seaon is generally fall and spring for the Santa Teresa Lemon. So, if you give your 3 year trees the right conditions, the trees will still have a chance to bloom this fall, and, set fruit that will ripen in the spring.. Of course there are always variables..... The Genoa Lemon has the same bloom and fruit set time as Santa Teresa. Hope that helps!! Maybe someone else who has one will chime in..

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hobby, our turkeys and chickens will come running the minute they hear the door open.. lol.. I really wanted that branch and lemon! I looked for it, but, it disappeared. We recently had a turkey hatch out some baby chicks.. Four in fact! She is one protective mama! She came flying out at nowhere when the rooster came to close, and, chased him down and gave him a good flapping with her wings! Lol.. Bet he won't try that again.. lol

• rolandr12
    7 years ago

Thank Jinny. I'm sure we'll be patiently waiting. I plan on making a batch of limoncello and found Pearsons Ranch sells the ST lemons. I have placed an order although the order will not be ready to ship for 8 more weeks.

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, Laura, I did save one lemon and I scratched the peel ever so gently, and, it smelled amazing. I am saving it to grate the bit of zest in some homemade chicken soup.

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Roland. I have been to their website and noticed they sell fruit as soon as it is in season. Let us know when you get them, and please post pictures!! I want to make Limoncello when my trees produce also! Let us know how it goes for you please! :) I can't wait to get lemons!!

• Esmeralda Reitz
    7 years ago

How did you get so lucky I've been buying for about a month now all expensive and have had none with flowering or fruit,

• Esmeralda Reitz
    7 years ago
    Anyone know anything on the gold nugget and are they dwarf size from four winds growers
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Esmeralda, I think all FW trees are on dwarfing rootstock (someone please correct me if I am mistaken). I have heard great things about the gold nugget, but do not have one myself. Jinny, that is great info about the blooming/fruiting patterns of the ST and Genoa. I noticed that my ST is pushing out new growth...hopefully there will be some buds at the end of those! How's your Genoa doing? Is the ST recovering?

• pip313
    7 years ago

All mail order are. They also offer standard in Cali stores from what I understand.

• Esmeralda Reitz
    7 years ago

So tempted to getting one right this moment and maybe spring it would bloom

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

We are enablers here Esmeralda! Go for it...which variety interests you? Do this, think about...sleep on it, then we can chat in the morning. I got stung by one of my bees an hour ago...took Benadryl...dozing off! Good night all!

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Laura, the trees are doing well. The Genoa lost a few more leaves in the middle of the tree, but, so far the leaves on the top canopy are holding on. The one Santa Teresa that had bugs, webs, nutritional deficiency of leaves, and burnt tips, looks the same. I will be feeding/fertilizing the trees at the end of the week. I was disappointed in that paticular Santa Teresa overall.. the roots had been chopped and just put in the pot before shipping.. For the premium size and cost, I would have expected it to be in better shape. But, I will give the tree some tlc, and, it should look better in the coming weeks.. :) The other 6 trees are lovely, and doing great! We had some lovely rain since they arrived, and, they are already greening up..

Laura, hope the benadryl helped. It knocks me right out after I take it!!

• Esmeralda Reitz
    7 years ago
    Hope the benedryl helped Laura. I have no control, ordered the gold nugget last night.
  • jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The Gold Nugget Mandarin should do well for you! Mine is pushing out a lot of growth right now. :)

I have ordered a number of trees this year, and, this is the first shipment, premium size, with nice fruit on the trees. I guess I just got lucky.. :D

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I will post pics of my trees when I've potted them later today. I'm glad to hear that the new trees are doing well. That is surprising about that ST. I hope it recovers for you!

7 years ago

Jinny did you get your replacement kishu (was it?) yet? How is the other one doing?

Laura how are your bees this year? I am finding it a very late season here but I got 2 nucs late and my one remaining hive was slow to build. I am still seeing drones which is very late!

I get a very bad reaction when I get stung as well... it's been a couple of years knock on wood... Hope it is getting better!

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Laura, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Hobby, it was a Hirado Buntahn Pummelo. I have not received its replacement yet, but, asked that Harris ship it out with my new order that I placed last Thursday. I talked to Ruth yesterday after I did not receive a shipping date for the order. Harris is putting shipments on hold at least a week until the temperature cools down across the country. It has cooled down in my neck of the woods, but, still hot in other areas. So, hopefully next week. :) I am still hoping to get a Cocktail Grapefruit.. It could be back in stock in a few weeks. That is the one that I would like to get for the last of the year.. We shall see.. lol

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is the Hirado Buntahn that I cut back. It has leafed out.. So, it still has some life in it! :)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Yeah!! Hey Jinny, One Green World has cocktail grapefruits!

7 years ago

That's awesome Jinny- looks like you will come out ahead with 2 trees!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Here is my cocktail grapefruit

• jinnylea
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Hobby and Laura! Hobby, I might end up with two Hirado Buntahn trees, but, I would have preferred my first one would have been more healthy and vigorous. :) It is now less than half the size of what it once was, but, I just hope it does well through the winter months...

Laura, your Cocktail Grapefruit looks very nice. It has such dark green leaves. Is that a Harris tree? I really hope they get them back in stock real soon.

Thank you for letting me know One Green World has them. I have never placed an order with them. How do you like their trees?