Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrirose83

Same hardwood flooring master bathroom and bedroom?

terrirose83
7 years ago

I put down hardwood floor a few years ago in my bedroom (sedona maple). I am now remodeling my small master bathroom and I'm going to put in hardwood flooring. The master bath is just off the bedroom. There is a clear line where the hardwood stops. Do I put the same color hardwood in the bathroom or different? I'd thought about doing it in a really dark wood, but I am not sure if that is common. I am planning on selling the house in a few years, so I want to make sure it is correct. What (if anything) do I put down to divide the two floors?

Comments (11)

• User
    7 years ago

Is this solid hardwood or engineered? Some people would advise against hardwood in the bathroom because of moisture/water. Think about when you get out of the shower and may be dripping wet. Water + Hardwood = possible issues. Of course people still do and get by just fine. I have hardwood in the kitchen. If it's engineered then there's less risk. But either of the two could warp over time if exposed to ongoing water.

To answer your question though, I prefer hardwood floors to match throughout the house. It drives me nuts when I see different shades or types of hardwood in a home, especially when the two touch.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago

You can continue the same wood should you choose. Probably the
    biggest kille of wood in a bathroom is if the toilet bowl condenses,
    sweats and drips in the summer, or during periods of high humidity. More
    common in older homes or homes with no air conditioning.

If you want dark wood, you can do that as well.

FWIW, I have brazilian cherry in my master bedroom and bathroom. Throughout my whole house, actually. Dark wood. Looks great with no damage after 20 years.

If
    you go with two different woods you can use a wood saddle to make the
    transition at the door. Or even a stone saddle. Perhaps use the same
    stone as your bathroom countertop if the countertop will be stone. If you use the same wood, if the strips run through the doorway a good installer can stitch the floors together, although it'd be easier to use a wood saddle at the transition. If they run parallel you can abut them with ease for a continuous look from one room into the next.

• PRO
    Peter DiNatale & Associates, Inc
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I don't recommend wood floors in bathrooms as wood does not hold up well in wet areas. We normally suggest that homeowners rule out wood on bathroom floors altogether to avoid potential warping and mold from any moisture that gets in there.

As a result of that advice, a lot of people ask for polished marble or other smooth stone for their bathroom floors. If you can't resist the wood floor vision for your bathroom then go with the same floor material as the master bedroom rather than introduce a different wood color. Here’s more on best materials suggested for your bathroom from our tips column “It's Easy To Slip Up!".

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I have hardwood in a tiny powder room but I would not want it in my bathroom. Put down tile that is butted right up against the hardwood - no change of height between the two floors. It worked for me. I had finish-in-place hardwood and put in porcelain tiles that look like Carrera marble.

• K Sissy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would not put a hardwood floor in any bathroom except a first floor powder room. There is a lot of humidity in bathrooms....2 or 3 showers daily, excessive amts of water nr shower door, etc. As a Homeowner now, I wouldn't want my mstr bth to have a hdwd flr. I would always be concerned about water on it, etc. We just put new porcelain tile flrs in our bthrms, and I love the fact that they are virtually maintenance free, with very little upkeep at all. A hardwood flr in the mstr bthrm wouldn't add value to the house. I would be thinking about removing it. It would be seen as a negative factor for me. The Porcelin tile flrs in our bthrms are wonderful, and a definite upgrade in our home, and cost less than a hdwd flr does.

• User
    7 years ago

Wood is fine in a bathroom but it must be a very dense wood; oak would not be acceptable. There are tiles that emulate but do simulate strip flooring too.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    7 years ago

We used a hybrid solution. We continued the same hardwood floor into the master bath in front of the sinks and into the closet, but but put tile aprons in front of the bath tub and shower where you step out. That keeps the water off of the hardwood.

Bruce

• kystone
    7 years ago

By choice, I removed all non-hardwood floors in my recently remodeled home and now have 100% hardwood throughout. I love this look and haven't had any issues. I completely understand that people may be concerned about hardwood in kitchens and baths, but it's never caused any issues in my homes (yes, I have had 100% hardwood homes before this!). The flooring contractor will find your exact wood from the bedroom, then "feather" the wood to seamlessly bring the hardwood in the rooms together - so that there isn't any obvious divide between the two rooms. This will also require having the master hardwood refinished I believe. Otherwise, you will need to have some sort of transition and your flooring contractor can inform you of the options. There are raised and flush options.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

I have site-finished HW in my kitchen & bath, no problems in 16 years.

• cb444
    6 years ago

I have hardwood in a powder room. We left on a one-month vacation and when we came back we found the floor had been flooded and water had been there evidently all month. Probably caused when we turned off the water to the house. The toilet overflowed.