Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_shults

Does this collage look bad?

J Kildman
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

TO START: please ignore the crooked frames and prints not in pictures. Also I will be repainting the wall SW Intellectual Gray. I am just "playing" before I actually paint. I'd rather patch holes now than later.
Anyway.... This is my inspiration pic (not necessary copying it but I love the overall look at feel):
My ceilings are 10' tall and my pictures are NOT small like they look (very frustrating). I'm assuming I need to place more pictures or architectural pieces closer to the crown? I think I need more architectural pieces, right? I'm just trying to figure out what to buy or switch around before I continue. I want a beautiful wall as this is seen right off my foyer. Maybe more mirrors?
Thanks!!

Comments (28)

• mccluskeyd
    7 years ago
    The pictures look like they are floating around the "sun" in the middle. I would add more substantial pics and the sun might be too big (if it isn't in the middle) for the arrangement.
    J Kildman thanked mccluskeyd
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yeah I was concerned the sunburst mirror was too centered for this arrangement. I love this mirror - ugh. Hope I can make it work. It's 28" x 28" - do you think it's too big overall for the frames? The two bigger frames pictured are 26x20"
  • bradley_amber
    7 years ago
    what makes the other collage work is the good silver white theme, yours doesn't really have a strict color theme so it's more disjointed.
    J Kildman thanked bradley_amber
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

Try switching the mirror and the pic under the arrow.Then move the small bottom pic to the right a little. Also, I am thinking that these pics/frames will not look good with gray. Are you set on that color?

J Kildman thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- Not bad but if you look at the inspiration picture you will see that not one item is smack in the middle . On yours it looks like you started with the starburst mirror right in the middle . Maybe take everything off and then place the mirror off center and either lower or higher and either to the left or the right . Maybe do your layout on the floor first and then transfer to the wall when it looks good to you.

J Kildman thanked lefty47
  • indybullterrier
    7 years ago
    Can you put the mirror somewhere else in your house and try to find a smaller version for this gallery wall? The mirror makes everything else look baby sized, so you'd need to find frames larger than the mirror to make it work here.
    J Kildman thanked indybullterrier
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Cut out shapes with brown paper and place them on the wall so you can get a better perspective with out making a million holes!!

The inspiration pictures does not have much space in between objects but the spaces in between the objects appear to be uniform. They also go almost to the ceiling and almost to the top of the buffet. They also extend past the edges of the buffet.

The pictures are almost all the same colors, black and white. There is not much color to attract the eye to a single picture.

The arrow is painted the same washed white color to blend in with the frames. And it is spaced evenly from other objects also.

J Kildman thanked Kathi Steele
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

The mirror may be too large.

Use brown paper to make a template of the mirror and put the mirror cut out where the green frame is now. You need a bigger circle thing to balance the mirror and put it catty corner down from the mirror.

Get bigger frames in different sizes, cut out brown paper shapes in the sizes of the frames and place on the wall in random patterns but evenly spaced between objects.

You may need to add a crown molding shelf at the top to help lower the space.

Your entry table is a lot smaller than the space and a lot smaller than the inspiration piece. Instead of centering it on the wall you may need to uncenter it and move it away from the door. Can you place a large mirror behind the door to take up the empty space? And add a plant in the corner where the walls meet.

• Pajarito
    7 years ago

Look at the inspiration photo the elements are almost touching the ceiling. I think the scale of the objects need to be larger to fill the frame. You have a lot more wall showing . First I would dress the buffet and then build up from there.

J Kildman thanked Pajarito
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    7 years ago

I second the brown paper, and the floor ideas. That's what I did with our gallery wall, and command center. I measured off a spot on the floor, the size of the area, placed my pieces all different ways and then made brown paper cutouts of each. Marked the locations of the hangers on the back of each. Taped them on the wall with painter's tape and drilled the holes for hanging. Everything went up so easily!! I also put command strip velcro pieces on the back edges of everything! That way I can swiffer dust and nothing goes wonky. :)

loribug26's ideas · More Info

Don't mind the "crooked Love" lol It has a mind of it's own!!

loribug26's ideas · More Info

Sorry I'm not much help on the actual pieces you need, just keep going back to your inspiration pics and work with it. You'll come up with something you love!

J Kildman thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • Sharon
    7 years ago

Each piece should relate to another somehow. None of your pieces is aligned with any other so it's too random. Have each frame line up with another somehow. Ditch the little frames, too or group them as one element. They are out of scale with the mirror. I like the idea of taking the mirror out of the center. The arrow in the inspiration pic is pointing to a significant piece of art. Yours is pointing to the mirror, which is the focal point anyway. Swapping them will leave the arrow pointing to a frame instead.

I did my brown paper template differently. I taped together whole sheets of brown paper the size of my wall space and laid them on the floor. I placed the frames on them, aligned them with a yardstick and drew outlines, numbering each piece so I'd remember which went where. I taped the whole piece to the wall. Then I used a paint stick with a screw in it to make a hanger, using the screw thusly to make indentations where the nails should go.

J Kildman thanked Sharon
  • cpaul1
    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of this type of gallery wall, but if that's what you're going to do ..... then I would pick a theme and pick a color palette. I would not put the star burst mirror directly in the middle. I would get more items and ones that are bigger in scale ... yours are too small. I would put things closer together. And I would not have everything be flat picture frames ... get at least one thing that has not only dimension but more interest.

J Kildman thanked cpaul1
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm actually thinking of switching gears to a larger picture with lamps flanking each side on the cabinet. Not sure if that would look better or not.

http://www.pier1.com/fresh-leaves-art/3023286.html

• cpaul1
    7 years ago

What is that space? What room is that?

J Kildman thanked cpaul1
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was thinking about using this canvas instead of the wall art gallery since I'm struggling with the arrangement. This is for my home office. The cabinet width is 63" wide and the ceiling is 10' so I hope it's tall enough. Hmmm....

• PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    7 years ago

I like the idea of a larger picture. Your wall is too wide to achieve the look in your inspiration image. A single picture would be easier to pull off. Something light (like the leaves image you have above) to balance the dark, heavy furniture.

• justbeckyg
    7 years ago
    I think you need more cohesion and weight in this arrangement and I agree the mirror should not be centered. The matting should all be the same color to help tie it together. The smaller photos should have much wider frames so they don't look so lost among the rest. I would also add one or two items with more depth to them like the mirror, even a deeper frame would work. Stick with your inspiration, you just need some tweaking to make this work.
  • justbeckyg
    7 years ago
    Forgot to mention, place the items you are planning to keep on the desk before you hang things on the wall. The empty desk top is throwing you off.
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    Is this the room where you want to watch tv, or is there another room where tv is king? I avoid having a tv in the room where guests gather. If you need a tv in here, bring it down to a seated person's eye level, not over the fireplace. Secondly, decide which one or two of the arches will act as entries to the room....you don't need three entries. Are you planning to buy an area rug? You can leave an 18"-24" border of wood showing all around the rug (more in the arc of the arches). Rearrange the furniture, leaving the entry arch(es) clear of furniture.
  • J Kildman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is a home office - no TV in there.

If I get a single large picture, how how up does it need to go? 2/3 up from cabinet with 1/3 blank wall space above?
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

I wouldn't hang the canvas very high above the cabinet, or it will look disconnected from it and floating on the wall.

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oops wrote that in correctly. I meant 6" above the cabinet with 1/3 white space over the picture.
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

Yes...about 6 inches should work.

• cpaul1
    7 years ago

Without seeing the rest of the room, it's always hard to comment. Is that door the entry way into the room or a closet? I would go with one large print over that furniture instead of a gallery wayll. I wouldn't put lamps on it unless that makes sense (it doesn't look like an area that necessarily needs to be lit ?)

• J Kildman
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That's a closet door. :-)
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Three Baby, a big picture would look nice also. Make sure it speaks to you so you have something to glance at and make you smile while you are in your office! I have a picture that is looking out from a back yard over the flower garden and onto a big lake. Every time I see that, I just love the feeling it evokes!

I WOULD put a lamp or 2 on the buffet. It can help light a dark corner of the office. If you do not put one on the buffet, I would get a floor lamp.

This is your office. It should be your private happy place!