Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Front Door Color Help Needed for SW Anonymous Painted House

cplover
7 years ago

So my 1957 ranch home in suburban Chicago is painted SW Anonymous with white trim. We purchased a new fiberglass door in February and need to pick a paint color. Any suggestions? I will try to post a photo of the house tomorrow. I showed DH a few fun aqua blue colors and he freaked. A deep red would probably be safe. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (32)

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Is the entire house the one color paint or do you have a trim color?

• eastautumn
    7 years ago

That looks like a neutral gray to me, so aqua, red, bright yellow, kelly green, or any bright color you like would probably look great with it.

cplover thanked eastautumn
  • mark_rachel
    7 years ago

Maybe a dark navy blue?

cplover thanked mark_rachel
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

A navy blue might also be a consideration and would not freak out your husband. A lot depends on the appearance of your home, and a picture would really help.

Edited: mark_rachel and I must have posted at the same time. I'm personally not a fan of really bright front doors, but it also depends on the style of the house.

cplover thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So here are three photos (one above two below). It is tricky to get a front on show since there is this huge magnolia tree that blocks the view. We painted the house SW Anonymous last year and now we are working on the front door and trim. It would be easiest if we were just to keep the trim white. But I would like a little color for the front door. I was thinking red (more orange than blue), a blue (either baby or teal), or black could work. But with DH being scared, I wanted to get the opinions of others before I run off to SW.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I love your siding and trim colors! I'm a gray house person currently needing my house painted and I'm in that too-many-colors-to-choose-from place.

I also have a white front door but mine is 3/4 glass with a wood screen door on top of it. If I were painting my door something other than white, I wouldn't go with navy. Gray + navy = too downbeat. I think the right yellow would be awesome, either beaten egg yolks yellow or something deeper, with a bit of gold. Black can be very stately.

cplover thanked Bunny
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

I like your house! I'd go with black or yellow, but not together (buzz, buzz).

Would you consider painting your garage door the same color as your siding?

cplover thanked Bunny
  • cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Linelle - That is a question I have been asking myself. Keep it white or paint it the same color as the house. I wish I had photoshop and knew how to use it. I think it might look good, just not sure. But all the white portions of the house are in need of new paint. The front door HAS to be painted since it is only primed. I do not need a lot of color for the front door and do not want it to appear crazy. The only reason I was considering a brick red was to match the chimney stack.

• cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The interior of my home has BM colors but we chose SW because we liked the "Anonymous" color and SW was having a 30% off special when we were painting, so that saved us a bunch! I am leaning towards using SW for the front door because they have this new special paint that is made especially for painting a hanging front door (as opposed to before you hang it).

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

That Anonymous is a gorgeous color. I think it's a great excuse to use the beautiful BM Wythe Blue, which is a gorgeous front-door color.

I'd also paint the garage in the Anonymous and get some of those fake garage windows.

cplover thanked tibbrix
  • cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lily'smom where did you find the Spiced Cider? When I went to the SW page for Anonymous I got Muslin and Polvo de Oro

• cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tibbrix, I like Wythe Blue! What do you mean "fake garage windows"?

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I think Wythe blue might be my favorite color for front doors. Just love it, and I think it would be beautiful with the Anonymous.

Here are a couple of pics of garage doors with fake windows and hinges on them, and a site with the fake garage door windows, hinges, etc. Someone came in the GW once asking how to enhance his garage. Someone here suggested these, and he got them, came back and put pics up of his garage. what a HUGE difference!

http://www.garagesquares.com

cplover thanked tibbrix
  • vpierce
    7 years ago

Great color, but the name is a marketing fail....

cplover thanked vpierce
  • cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Those look cool, but unfortunately my garage door is wood, so they won't work.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

cp, as it so happens I've just ordered a new garage door with windows across the top, similar to Tibb's first example. They're not fake, they're really windows, but I'm using obscured glass so light gets in, but you can't really see in.

My garage actually juts out in front of my house. Nothing I can do about that, but painting the door the color of the siding will make it less prominent. When it arrives it will be white (limited palette with garage doors) so the next thing will be to get my house painted.

cplover thanked Bunny
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Not all are magnetic. These you screw into the door:

http://www.tis-dev.com/cha/files/MKTG009-WindowInstall_011612-sm.pdf

cplover thanked tibbrix
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Definitely paint the garage door to match the siding! I love the idea of Wythe Blue.

cplover thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

And paint the hardware on the garage door black, using enamel paint, like Rust-O-Leum.

• carolssis
    7 years ago

I really liked the idea to paint a dark red to match the chimney brick. At least the door color would have some tie in. And changing the garage door color to your siding color would mute it's stand out appearance it has with white. I like the light blue, but it seems too understated. Wish you the best in your color choice!

• cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like this front door color and I think the siding is similar. Unfortunately, I am not sure what color it is!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

I should have mentioned this before, but if you ever want to spend money on new doors for your garage, check out French Porte garage doors. We changed to those 12 or so years ago on our 1960 ranch. It made a world of difference on the look of the house. They are more expensive than regular doors, but what a change they made! There are also retro garage doors some of which might be cool. Until then, paint will work just fine!

eta: we were posting at the same time. Love that door color, too. Like Wythe Blue, but more saturated.

cplover thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Looks like a turquoise. Where did you get the pic?

cplover thanked tibbrix
  • PRO
    Indigo and Luxe
    7 years ago

Some ideas:

Front Door Welcomes

cplover thanked Indigo and Luxe
  • cplover
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The photo came from Better Homes and Gardens on their "Best Blue Front Door colors" but it does not like the color for any of the photos in the Link

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Sherwin Williams Holiday Turquoise

cplover thanked tibbrix