Untouched MCM gem in San Francisco

sushipup1
7 years ago

Lovely lovely!

Gem of a house

Comments (23)

• bpath
    7 years ago

I love it, warm woods and brick, reminds me of summer vacations in Wisconsin. Did you notice the balcony? The walls are done so that it doesn't look like a solid wall, nice.

A couple things, though:

the orange in the kitchen, the cabinet too low over the sink, there's just not enough visual distraction, it's too flat surface- and color-wise.

I don't want to be below things; the terraced hill would make me nervous.

What's with the water damage on display in the bedroom ceilings?! Eek, that it's there AND that it's not corrected. Biggest red flag of all. Makes me wonder about the rest of the maintenance.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

The photographer did a nice job in one of the pics making the kitchen look huge (the pic taken across the table toward the counter), but there's another pic that makes clear how distorted that was.

It's a very nice house, and the views are fabulous.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

I mostly like it. I am not a big fan of Masonite type wood paneling, but I would probably try to keep the bulk of it, and remove some of it.

I also think the bathroom have some rather odd mismatches of colors and wood tones (and fake wood tones).

In a way, this reminds me of some local houses here that were built very inexpensively (and slightly experimentally) by architects (who are mostly too poor to build a really great house for themselves). Here they end up on the market for a lot more than they are worth objectively (looking at quality of construction), mostly because of their location. If that is happening here, I imagine it happens to a much greater degree in SF.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love the location and the views, but there looks to be a lot of deferred maintenance on that house. Bpathome mentioned the water damage on the ceiling plus the windows all look to be rusted. The exterior siding doesn't look like it's in great shape, not to mention probable updates needed for the baths and kitchen and exterior landscaping.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Isn't it good Norwegian Wood is what first popped into my mind = )

What a lovely retreat. The terraced outdoor space is also very cool & I like that kitchen very much. Thanks

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

Inside is nice, outside is awful - imo.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

"Here they end up on the market for a lot more than they are worth objectively (looking at quality of construction), mostly because of their location."

Pal, that sentence is true for pretty much every home in San Francisco. Though I agree that the quality of construction is probably not as high for this home as for SF's large numbers of older homes (like its Victorians).

• User
    7 years ago

Not a fan. Imo 1970 is beyond mcm but aside from that it doesn't have the appearance of quality in the materials. Unlike that recent home with all the antiqued green built ins.

• teeda
    7 years ago

I was hoping to see an untouched 1970 home with original furnishings. Looks like this house was emptied and then staged with new items. Considering the deferred maintenance issues mentioned by others, the original contents may have been a negative factor in showing the property. But I love the views and it was fun to look at. Thanks for sharing.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

This is totally off topic, but I see random mid-century houses regularly that have low-grade fluorescent tube lighting in living areas of the house. Like over the beds in this house. Did/do people really turn that on? I'd rather fall over stuff in the dark.

I understand that to some degree fluorescent light is cultural. My Chinese friend who grew up in Vietnam said lots of houses had a bare fluorescent tube down the middle of each room, so that's why we would see them a lot in the Vietnamese neighborhood here, it's what they were used to back home. And when we designed their duplex, her mother wanted big fluorescent tubes down the middle of each room (we talked her into lots of recessed lighting instead). She also wanted to know if we could put a drain in the middle of her kitchen floor and she could just hose it down, which I thought was a great idea, actually.

But the fluorescent tubes, sorry. I'd rather do everything by a single 40 watt bulb.

• rockybird
    7 years ago

I love it and it seems like an amazing value for the area. It certainly takes advantage of the views! I might remove some of the paneling. I love that they have orange cabinets!

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

As for the wood paneling...a lot of it in this house looks like thin wood veneer on 4x8 panels rather than printed on masonite, so it is real wood. It's just not very nice wood compared to the "more real" wood. And it's really bleached and sun damaged. I am all for keeping wood if it is nice wood, but some of this would have to go.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Pal one thing I've noticed is that things that would be unbearably bleak in a more northern climate are just normal in a warm climate. might explain the lighting!

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    7 years ago

Floor-to-ceiling bookcases / shelving in earthquake country? Best left empty.

• voila
    7 years ago

Untouched is the key word, as in no maintenance. The bathroom ceiling appears stained, also. And yes, there is sun damage to some parts of the paneling that Panel Magic will not fix.

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Not only no maintenance, it looks like it was cheap construction to begin with. And since when does 1970 constitute "mid-century"?

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Dates seem to vary but typically include post WW II to 1970. After that is late Modernism and Post Modernism up to about 1990.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    7 years ago

It reminds me to Sausalito from 1972, when I first visited there. The neighborhood and views are nice, but I could not live with that much wood - brown and orange are my least favorite colors. If I owned it, I would have to paint it. I agree that floor to ceiling shelving is scary, but at least the shelving itself will not fall down.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I've lived for years in California with thousands of books on shelves. In 1994, the Northridge quake dumped all of my books on the floor, but I was able to put them right back on the shelves. I wouldn't load shelves up with breakables, but books are sturdy. Just don't put the shelves by or over your bed.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

The view TDF of course and the layout and flow and light look great. The panelling looks like cheapo carp to me. The exterior "terraced" yard is a dump.

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

very cool house! the views are to die for and the price does seem like a good value for SF. ETA: x-posted with Mtn, the yard is a total dump!

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

It looks like it was probably a cheap beach house/vacation home when it was built back in the day. It was probably about $40,000 when it was new....guessing. I don't think it's pretty at all but it just looks like a summer home. If it was on Bolivar Peninsula on the Gulf, which is what it reminds me of, it would probably sell for less than $200,000 and be used for rental. I also noticed the water damage on the ceilings which instantly reduced its value/appeal for me.