Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebell66

Tiny Powder Room

Bluebell66
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The powder room near our kitchen is 36" wide. You walk in about mid-way, and the sink is on the right and toilet on the left. It is currently a dark red, and I'm considering painting it a navy blue. I know dark colors are supposed to work well in small spaces, but this bathroom is smaller than small! The red works, but it's not as light sucking as a navy would likely be.

Complicating things is that stained glass window. Not really our style, but it's nice and will stay for a while. We plan to replace the mirror with a round, weathered grey/blue mirror we already have, as well as replace the light fixture, sink fixtures, and towel ring.

Your thoughts on possibly using Sherwin Williams Naval? Thanks.

Comments (32)

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

IMO, navy is too dark. What about knocking it back a bit with a med-dark blue?

Bluebell66 thanked powermuffin
  • dainaadele
    7 years ago

I would also paint the ceiling the same blue with it. I assume there is another bathroom for makeup, etc? I actually used a dark red (with charcoal as a primer underneath) in a small room in our house. By painting the ceiling the matching color, the corners of the room almost disappeared. You lost the sense of where things started and ended. Then you use lighting that is pointed down, highlighting the fixtures. Think soft, cozy, even quiet, almost like stepping into a magical world.... :D

Bluebell66 thanked dainaadele
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts.

Dainaadele, yes, this is just the guest/powder room. We do have a master bath that we personally use. The only people who ever use this bathroom are infrequent visitors.

Tibb, I was also thinking of white wainscoting to help brighten it up. Would look great with the navy.

• scone911
    7 years ago

I would match the hummingbird, or some other motif in the stained glass, so it all blends in.

Bluebell66 thanked scone911
  • User
    7 years ago

It would! And I think the stained glass would look great too, even though I know you said you don't care for it.

Bluebell66 thanked User
  • aimeekm
    7 years ago

I also love the stained glass. And a navy with white wainscoting would be perfect I think, get the interest of navy and the crispness and lightness of white. What is the floor?

Bluebell66 thanked aimeekm
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aimeekm, the floor is a light color maple.

• Apolonia3
    7 years ago

My daughter has a similar powder room. She painted it Plumage (by Behr I think). It's a dark color also and looks gorgeous. I think dark colors work well in powder rooms.

Bluebell66 thanked Apolonia3
  • laughablemoments
    7 years ago

From how things look in your photos, I think a color from the Sherwin Williams Sea Salt swatch would look really nice with the hummers in the stained glass. It wouldn't have the deep feel of the navy blue, but it would have a nice peaceful glow to it. You could still do the white wainscoting for the bottom 1/3 of the walls. I love the navy and white rooms I see online, but I'm not convinced it's the best choice to go with the stained glass. Even if the glass piece isn't exactly your taste, it is undoubtedly the most eye catching element of the room, and it would be good to work with that. Please show updates when you finish.

Bluebell66 thanked laughablemoments
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think the colors on the Sea Salt strip might work quite nicely. While I don't love the window, I agree it's a good idea to work with the colors in it, as long as it's staying for a while. Thanks for the additional thoughts! Here is a better shot of the window.

• User
    7 years ago

I would not do Sea Salt. One of the reasons dark colors work in low-light rooms like powder rooms is because light colors need light to reflect and make them work. Saturated colors don't need light, which is why they look so great in low-light rooms. Light colors go blah in low-light rooms because of the lack of natural light.

Bluebell66 thanked User
  • dainaadele
    7 years ago

Tibbrix: You perfectly nailed the 'why' I seem to detest pale colors in dim rooms. Somehow it always makes the room feel like it did not live up to its potential. No different from trying to turn a modern home into a Victorian. Ha ha!

• Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tibb, I am now looking at the Sea Salt strip and think you are right. While I love that color, I think it might look dull in there. And I don't like the deeper colors on that strip for this space.

• User
    7 years ago

Sea Salt is beautiful in rooms that have a lot of natural light.

Take a look at this powder room belonging to a GW member. I think this is the template!

Tfitz's incredible BM Caponata

Bluebell66 thanked User
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous!

• User
    7 years ago

'tis!

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Just to say that I love the window

I probably wouldn't choose this motif..but I would never get rid of it as well

Deeper darker color would work amazing. I don't know about SW Naval..I don't believe anymore my screen shows anything remotely close to how the color would look in real life:) Maybe same depth and intensity, but more green in the color, to pull it more from the stained glass?

And-I just saw it has a bit of purple in it too. in the motif.

Bluebell66 thanked aprilneverends
  • dainaadele
    7 years ago

Sometimes you don't want to pull out the obvious color in an piece of art to enhance it, but a minor color, and that may be the case with this bath. That picture does not come alive when the walls are painted the dominant color (red) in the window itself. The blues, however, or even that hint of purple, could make that window seem to glow. And even if it does not fit your style, once a piece of art is displayed well, it is good art, regardless.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Ack, I made the Sea Salt recommendation from memory. Bad idea! I agree those are too gray and blah for this space. The next strip over in my deck looks better, now that actually I have it in front of me. How about "Underseas"?My eye is trying to find a color close to the humming bird's belly and feathers. It might be a shade somewhere in the 31-33 paint strips.

Bluebell66 thanked laughablemoments
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

April and Daina, you both make good points, thank you. There is a bit of purple in it, in the throats of the hummingbirds. I will look through my fan decks again and see if I can find something that will enhance this window.

The reason I was thinking Naval is that our front door is painted that color and it's a nice navy blue. (Although I don't think it's the right color for our front door, but that's a post for another day.). I have gone out to look at it a number of times this morning and I am not sure it's the right color for this powder room. I think there are other navy or blue colors that might work better.

• Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's okay, Laughable, the Sea Salt really does look nice next to the stained glass, and it's one of my favorite paint colors. I hadn't considered that it would look sort of dull in a low light room, though.

Underseas is pretty and I think it is possibly the intensity we need in that space. Now that purple has been brought up, I was also looking at SW6550 Mythical - it would be the right color purple, however, I'm not so sure I want do do purple in this bathroom. We're sort of a blue, green, cream, flax, with black accents house.

• Bluebell66
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Looking at stripes 31-33 again.... I'm liking Quietude, Interesting Aqua and Meditative. They all work with the stained glass, but I think they may look dull on the wall.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

No, you don't want to do that Mythical-again, my monitor is deceiving, but if what I see is close to reality-it will read too flat. You never want to go too flat with purple..actually with any color, but even less so with purple..even if you like purple enough to put on the walls, which you're not sure about..

Purple would work with blue and green and cream by the way..not every purple, but a lot of them..but you should like it

Bluebell66 thanked aprilneverends
  • mark_rachel
    7 years ago

My powder room is also very small. I used BM Smokehouse Gray & had it adjusted 50%.

Bluebell66 thanked mark_rachel
  • lam702
    7 years ago

Oh,, I love that stained glass with the hummingbirds. I would definitely keep it. I agree about the post suggesting white wainscoting. Dark colors are lovely, but I think the white wainscoting with the navy would be stunning.

Bluebell66 thanked lam702
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I'd go for Naval or if that doesn't quite go with the window (which BTW is great), I'd check out BM Van Duesen

Bluebell66 thanked nosoccermom
  • purrus
    7 years ago

It's not my style but I also really love the window! I'd love to have something like that. It's a neat feature that gives the room character.

Bluebell66 thanked purrus
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

OP, please excuse me for temporarily hijacking your thread...aprilneverends, when you say you never want to go too "flat" with purple, are you referring to the sheen? If you're referring to the color, how do you choose a purple that isn't flat? I'm not a paint person. Paint hates me actually but I'm soon going to be painting my bedroom purple. I've been stuck in the house with a sick dog for almost 2 1/2 months (he can't leave the house and I can't because he has separation anxiety and he can't get excited) but on Oct 1 I can go pick out some paint samples. Just from what I'm seeing on line, I'm leaning towards BM Tropical Dusk or something with a less gray in it.

• User
    7 years ago

I like the idea of a dark blue. I don't know how similar the this blue is to the SW one, but I have BM Van Deusen Blue in my one bathroom and love it.

I have BM Caponata in my laundry room. It looks less much less warm and almost black depending. I do like it, but it does not read like the photo above. Test whatever color you're considering first.

Bluebell66 thanked User
  • nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

Absolutely love that stained glass window. Please reconsider taking it down. I'd actually design around that. I suggest a dark rich color with depth and extending it to the ceiling. Here is our tiny powder room. It's actually under the stairs. No windows. The dark wallpaper extends to the ceiling.

Bluebell66 thanked nutsaboutplants