Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickpierro

"Wall of Windows" behind kitchen sink - How do you meet NEC code?

Nick Pierro
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Houzzers! First time poster here!

I'm in the middle of a total-home renovation, and focusing on the final details of the kitchen design. My wife and I have opted for no wall cabinets on the exterior wall, and would love to have a "wall of windows" behind the sink. (In this case, a 6-foot triple casement centered behind a 36" stainless apron farmhouse sink).

I've made some elevation sketches of my plan. (See attached picture)

I've seen a *ton* of inspiration photos where people have a ton of windows level with the counter. HOW does this meet the NEC code of having a GFCI outlet every 4 feet on the wall line (and 24" from every counter edge).

In our case, we'd have to basically install a GFCI Receptacle touching the window's casing/moulding in order to meet code. and that would look terrible...

I know that Sinks "break" the 24" useable counter space depth requirement, and each side of the sink is treated as a countertop edge.

Are windows an exception to the "wall line" in NEC code?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (19)

• Buehl
    7 years ago

Mocketts!

Edited to add: I'm in Maryland, USA

Mocketts up....

Mocketts down...

• Nick Pierro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had no idea things like this even existed... very cool! Now what would be *really* cool is if they could use a piece of counter scrap to fashion a circle-plug on top, so that it would truly be invisible when in the down position.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

You could probably recess them into the counter - but that would mean the holes would have to be finished, not rough.

Larger version of the "down" picture. Our counters are black, so the Mocketts don't really stand out.

Mocketts: http://www.mockett.com/pcs34.html

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

10 feet of window. Outlets at either end. In California. Sometimes it depends on the inspector. But yes. the sink broke it up. And it's just like a large sliding glass door, you have outlets at either end.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

You're right, it doesn't meet the code.

Our city was adamant about it, even though the kitchen was small, and we plainly didn't need so many outlets.

We had to install the pop-ups into our countertop(and cut out one of the drawers, because of that)

Counters are light, the pop ups are stainless steel as the appliances.

it's a small kitchen, but two big windows on both sides, reaching the counter. So we couldn't get one pop up, even though the sink broke it up..still too big an expanse.

I hated it with all my might, until I just gave up, and stopped noticing them. They're pretty level with the countertop, and have this brushed finish, so it helps. When we're in the house, eventually, I'll cover at least one of them with something nice:) Maybe both.

The cuts were rough though, and they couldn't do this countertop-piece-on-top-of-it-thingy, which I agree, would be cooler. I didn't quite understand whether they couldn't do it in our case, or not at all.

Good for you, researching this all in advance..came as a surprise to us:) An unpleasant one.

Ah. We're in California.

• Wendy
    7 years ago

I wanted pop-ups but we were required to install 6 outlets along the counter. I didn't want all those holes in the counter, so went with a slightly shorter window to accommodate the outlets..

• Nick Pierro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone.

@Sushipup, that's an a-mazing home you have. I'm a sucker for huge windows and a vaulted ceiling. bravo!

I think I've come upon a solution that I'd be happy with, and meet code. If I tuck the receptacles sideways, under the windowsill, they shouldn't be too obtrusive.

SO those two will meet code, and the one in the corner will be for the coffee-maker.

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

Thanks, that was the house that we sold in California in February. We are now in a quite traditional Colonial in Pennsylvania. Culture shock! Your solution looks great!

• mushcreek
    7 years ago

I haven't got time to find a pic right now, but we put a 7' window over our main sink. I searched and found a 43" sink, and then placed the outlets in the window returns. It just makes the 24" rule on each side. The window returns are flared on a 45 degree angle to soften our thick walls. The inspector was vague about the outlets in the window returns, but they passed it OK.

Found a pic- sort of. One outlet is hidden behind the coffee maker, the other one you can see through the glass container. You can see the concept in the other window, just to the right of the mixer.

• Wendy
    7 years ago

Nick, that is exactly what we did. Flipped the outlets sideways and raised the windows about 4 inches.

• just_janni
    7 years ago

What about plug mold under the window?

And these Mockett things are adorable!

• Chris
    7 years ago

I'm so glad that you posted about this because we are also planning on no upper cabinets along our exterior wall and I was wondering about outlets. Has anyone tried to put the outlets inside of the lower cabinets or is that not an option?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

no..there is certain amount of inches the outlet should be above the floor. I forgot the exact number..

• eam44
    7 years ago

You could try a bocci outlet integrated into your subway tile (near the salt and pepper mills below). They don't make a GFCI but code is achieved with a remote GFCI installed at the panel.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

We have same problem with code and Windows. We are doing as you suggested, horizontal outlets under window. But you should probably do all outlets on the same horizontal plane, especially with your subway tile.

• nhbaskets
    7 years ago

This is a photo from when our former home was listed so it's a bit distorted. I loved having the granite behind the sink and on the windowsill.

• cabinathome
    2 years ago

Buehl. I am building a house with windows down to the countertop. I'm thinking to do a pop-up in a soapstone counter. Do you like how your Mocketts function? I've seen shorter ones than yours; I think with one receptacle on either side. Yours look really tall. Do you know of any stores in Maryland that sell these pop-ups, so I can look at them? I'm in Bethesda! I also found this other pop-up call the S-Box that integrates one's countertop material on the cover. They look huge. My concern would be that the edges of the soapstone around the inset might chip easily.