Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

Queen Of Sweden

My Queen Of Sweden is in its second season. It is tall and hardy, but I don't have lots of blooms. Is this the nature of QOS or will the 3rd year blooms kick in?

Comments (42)

• teka2rjleffel
    7 years ago

I had the same experience, but moved before it's 3rd year, so I don't know if she 'woke up' a bit more.

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked teka2rjleffel
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Same here, on their 2nd year, only bloomed once this year. I have rose midge though, I found some midge damage on them and just treated, hopefully I can see them in bloom again before Nov.

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

I have the same thing. Mine is very tall, but I haven't seen a bloom in months. It's about 2 years old and I think it gave me about 5 blooms this past spring. I'm thinking of giving it away. Lisa

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked Lisa Adams
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. Interesting that our 2nd season is the same even in different zones. Does it bloom more 3rd year?

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

I sure hope so! Lisa

• ambrosia922
    7 years ago

I have also QOS second year, first blooming was beautiful:

And second I had to wait one month and there were lot fewer blooms. Only 1 bush was ok. zone 6

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked ambrosia922
  • dizzylizzy 7b
    7 years ago

I had a similar experience to ambrosia. My QofS is in its 2nd year and the first flush was amazing. I have had a few intermittent blooms since but not much. It does not like Alabama's summer heat, but I am keeping it and actually adding two more next spring because the first flush was so beautiful. Maybe third year is the charm???

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked dizzylizzy 7b
  • totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

Maybe try giving it more potassium, calcium (gypsum or lime depending on your soil pH) and magnesium.

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked totoro z7b Md
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sylvia, that is what I was hoping to hear, but year 2 wasn't so great for me and some others that posted. Thanks for the pictures showing lots of blooms and buds.

• dianela7analabama
    6 years ago

Hello Everyone =),

I realized this thread is from a couple of years back and I was wondering how your QOS are doing these days? Are they blooming better? My local nursery has them right now, and I was considering getting a few of them. I am in the same Alabama zone as (dizzylizzy 7b ), and was wondering how they did for her. Was 3rd year the charm? Any updates on QOS would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Dianela

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked dianela7analabama
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am inclined to think QOS blooms more spring/early summer. In the fall QOS gets really tall and I think the plant’s energy is spent in growing the tall canes instead of blooms.

• dianela7analabama
    6 years ago

wow yours is beautiful =),

Thank you very much for your answer. I might have to pass on it for now. I am looking to fill an area of about 6 roses, and would like to maybe try and get something more floriferous. I love love how those blooms look, so I might have to find another spot for her some time. Thank you!

Dianela

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dianela, I am wondering if I cut the canes further down late summer, if I will have more blooms in the fall?

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

I have the same problem on my QoS too. THanks for that idea, Kentuckyrose. I will try to prune it down to about 3ft in late July to see if I have a better fall flush.

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked KarenPA_6b
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

KarenPa, my Grande Amore does the same thing, too. I may prune it down to about 3 -4 feet. Grande Amore gets so tall in the fall and not as many blooms, but I love this rose!

• witchygirrl6bwv
    6 years ago

Do the canes bend at all? I'm wondering if it might be one that can be pegged?

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked witchygirrl6bwv
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Maybe some bend, typically straight up, tall.

• dianela7analabama
    6 years ago

How tall is this rose getting for you all that you can prune it back down to 3? On DA’s website I think it is listed at 4 feet for max height

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

About 7 ft.

• KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Now that you mention it, my Grande Amore behaves the same way as QoS. I will prune it down this summer too to see if it will promote better bush growth and blooming.

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

Darn. I have the same problem with mine and I thought it was just me. I actually just ordered one on Fortuniana hoping it would bloom more often. I had a lovely spring flush (our "spring" is like in Janurary LOL) but so far nothing. It didnt even start putting out new growth for like weeks and weeks. Finally I gave it a good strong dose of liquid fertilizer and it shot out a new basal cane and some new growth. I thought to myself "oh, thats why it hasnt put new growth, it was working on that new cane", but now its showing more growth. No buds though as of yet. I really want mine to bloom more because its such a great rose in every way. Disease resistance is great, but without blooms whats the point?

Ever notice the healthier the rose, the more reluctant they are to bloom? Ugh. Not all roses, but the majority of my really healthy roses are stingy bloomers (ahem Earth Angel). The only exception is Wedding Bells.

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

SoFL, I agree with, “without blooms whats the point.” If I just wanted green, I wouldn't be growing a rose bush. I can do some stingy if I love it, but lots of stingy gets sp’d eventually. Do you think the fort. rootstock will grow taller?

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

Hi Kentucky, Most likely. Supposedly roses on Fortuniana grow bigger and bloom more, so I thought i'd give it a try on fortuniana, but now I'm a bit regretful as it may just be this particular varieties MO. I'll give it a shot and see what she does for the next season or so. I'm also wondering if she's an extra heavy feeder. Some roses wont bloom unless doused with fertilizer, so I'll keep fertilizing her until she either blooms or dies LOL No bloom, no room.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

SoFL, I feed my roses frequently throughout the season. Let me know what happens.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    6 years ago

Dianela, Mine are not blooming yet, but they look like they will have lots of blooms this spring. They are budding out alot. I will keep you posted. I love this rose, by the way, and I am waiting impatiently for their 3rd year show! Liz

• Claire Z5 IL
    6 years ago

I ordered 2 QOS during the burpee sale early this year and I am still waiting for them to show up. Seeing some of the comments here makes me a little nervous about my choice. I also ordered Princess Alexander of Kent from DA. In your opinion, which one is a better performer overall? Thanks,Claire

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked Claire Z5 IL
  • KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

palytoxin, you will still be treated to a great spring flush and a smaller fall flush though even if you don't get repeat blooms during the summer.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    6 years ago

Mine are planted where they get morning sun but not afternoon sun. They seem to like that.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I would definitely give Queen of Sweden some afternoon shade if your summers are hot. I recently removed mine. I had no afternoon shade spot for it, and was tired of it growing to 8F tall with a few blooms way up high. It probably would have have been happy in the right spot, but it was also grafted onto Dr. Huey, and I’m trying to go ownroot. I seem to get more disease and huge growth here in So CA on roses grafted onto Dr. Huey. I’m sure yours will be happier than mine was, with a real winter rest and afternoon shade. She really is pretty! Lisa

• SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

Plytoxin, princess Alexandra of Kent is probably the better rose. Mine has no problem blooming and grows vigorously. However the blooms are totally different.

• dianela7analabama
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the comments regarding this rose. It certainly it is a beautiful one.

SoFL Rose: it is funny how you mentioned the healthier ones not wanting to bloom some times. Madame A from Kordes is so healthy and vigorous that it covered my 7 feet tall obelisk in one season. I have gotten about 2 blooms it. Maybe now that it has grown a lot it will bloom?

dizzylizzy I am glad to hear that you will be getting lots of blooms soon. I am looking forward to seeing them. I will try to place them where they can get some shade and see if I get lucky.

kentucky _rose: your QOS is so pretty . After looking at your picture for like the 100 time, I couldn’t resist and bought 6 QOS. I will plant them in a bed with crown princess M, Carding Mill, Benjamin Britten and Sally Holmes in hopes of hiding her some when she isn’t blooming.

Lisa Adams: did you ever try bending the canes on QOS? witchygirrl mentioned the idea of trying to peg QOS in order to encourage blooms. It grows so straight up for everyone here that I never considered it. Now I keep wondering how flexible it is.

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I did do that with a few canes and she did bloom on the laterals she produced. That would have taken care of one of my problems with her, but not the frying in the sun problem. So yes, that will work for QoS. My blazing sun was just too much for her, and I had no afternoon shade to offer her. In a milder climate I think she’d do much better. Lisa

• dizzylizzy 7b
    6 years ago

Dianella and all, I just counted 30 buds on one of my QofS bushes and I have 3. This will be their 3rd year. I can't wait to see them in bloom. In the past they have rebloomed, but not profusely. I will see a few blooms in the fall, but they don't like the heat of mid summer.

• dianela7analabama
    6 years ago

dizzylizzy I am sure yours are going to look spectacular. Looking forward to your blooms.

• Claire Z5 IL
    6 years ago

Lisa, thank you for the advise on afternoon shade. Now I really need to adjust my plan because I was going to squeeze my QOS into a full sun spot. I guess QOS is like Brother Cadfael in that sense; the afternoon sun really burns the flower. Claire

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked Claire Z5 IL
  • KarenPA_6b
    6 years ago

Do you get better bloom production if the rose is planted in a location with afternoon shade? I have both of mine grown in full sun and they don't bloom much during the summer. If they do, the blooms are few and quite small and flat. Would you recommend that I move one to a location with afternoon shade? I do have a location like that available.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    6 years ago

This is the 3rd year for mine. Great first bloom.

• dianela7analabama
    6 years ago

Dizzylizzy,

Beautiful shape and color. Hope they keep it going this year. Please keep updating as the year progresses. Fingers crossed for mine =)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dizzylizzy, your pictures definitely captured QOS’s beauty!

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Do you guys think that this is one that would do better if we pinched back the new growth? I seem to remember a thread last year where Chris from Newflora discussed that technique. And Ken in GA talked about it too - pinching back the tips to encourage branching & flowering all up and down the plant. I might try it with mine this year - it blooms at the top of tall canes. I just have to remember to do it lol!

kentucky_rose zone 6 thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

In my garden, Queen of Sweden produces more blooms spring/early summer and less blooms, more height late summer/fall.