Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadgratias

Looking for opinions on potential floor layout

chadgratias
7 years ago

Hi all

My wife and I have just purchased a house. We are now planning our renovation. The house is a 1950's bungalow, 950 square feet, 3 bedroom one bath. Our plan is to slowly renovate over the next few years, increase the value of it and sell.

We have a couple of ideas for the floor plan, to open it up. Would like to hear your opinions on what you think would be best in terms of resale value. Here is what the house is currently. I apologize for the rough drawings, obviously they are not to scale:

We for sure are going to remove the wall between kitchen and living room. Also we are going to remove the closet from bedroom 3 in order to expand the bathroom, which is very small (our knees touch the vanity while on the toilet lol) then build a new closet. This is option 1:

Option 2 would be doing the same thing, except we would take out part of the hallway, and the middle bedroom, in order to make a dining room, which would allow us to put a back door and deck onto the house. We would take the closet from bedroom 2 and turn it around into bedroom 1 (his and hers closets):

Does option 2 look strange? Having a back door with a deck would be very nice. Also the kitchen is quite small, hardly any room for a table, so this would remedy that. However I am a little worried the bathroom will be a little bit too open to the rest of the house. Also generally a 2 bed house is worth less then a 3...

Thanks for your input!

Comments (17)

• smitrovich
    7 years ago

If your end goal is to sell this home for a profit, I would not eliminate a bedroom. Keep it a 3 bedroom, remove the wall between the kitchen and living room (you'll have space for a dining area), and enlarge the bathroom.

chadgratias thanked smitrovich
  • chiflipper
    7 years ago

If you really want to "do it right" get an architect and his structural engineer out to look at your place. (Ask for a consult for a flat fee.) I believe the space can be reworked much better than you have pictured here. When your home is very small you need to be able to open it up to the exterior.

• chadgratias
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Shirlpp: interesting idea. That could work. I will definitely think of this

Smitrovich thank you for confirming my suspicion. Losing a bedroom is not the best idea. It's too bad this layout is not easy to facilitate door out to the back

Chifflipper: I imagine an architect would be quite expensive but that may be a smart idea

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Option 2 would be a one bedroom. When you eliminate a closet, it then doesn't qualify as bedroom. Cutting out one bedroom really drops your resale value. Removing wall is good idea, but you will need an engineer (structural) to determine if that wall is "load bearing" wall. (Wall holding roof up!). Plus you don't know what mechanicals are inside that wall. What did your pre-purchase inspector tell you?
  • chadgratias
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo mangan: Good points. I forgot to add that we will build a new closet in bedroom 3. The wall between kitchen and living room is not load bearing. Ceiling joists are running parallel with this wall. There is one plug in this wall which we will lose but are OK with.

• snowbunny357
    7 years ago

How fun! I love old bungalows. What is between B1 and the kitchen? Could you expand into it? Also is there a laundry room?

• chadgratias
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Snowbunny: Yes we are pretty excited about it! The stairwell to the side landing and basement is between the kitchen and bedroom 1. It could possibly be expanded into. Although we would have to have a bannister around the stairs.

There is no laundry room currently. The washeor and dryer are in the basement, which is not developed. Yet. We will be adding a second bath, entertainment room, and a bedroom down there as well as a finished laundry room

• snowbunny357
    7 years ago

Fantastic! If you're planning to add a bedroom downstairs eventually, I think you could justify turning B2 into dining and opening to outdoor space. Otherwise I would also worry about the resale value.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Sounds like you have done your homework, so have fun! Lot of work. One more suggestion. If you do finish basement, make sure comps in your area will support that level of investment. Might consider just doing a finished area for nice laundry/craft area. Good luck!
  • chadgratias
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Snowbunny, yes that is good point. With a bedroom downstairs I would not be going from a 3 bedroom to 2, but rather a 4 bedroom to a three. Albeit one in the basement. Maybe I should have included that in my original post!

Flo, yes it will be a lot of work! I'very been working in construction about ten years now so it's nice to be able to finally work on a house that is mine. It doesn't feel so much like work then

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pick one the bedrooms to be your master and put a single French door to the backyard in it.

Definitely check to see if eliminating a bedroom but adding one in basement would not de-value your home. I would not buy a home that I'd have to put one of my kids in the basement in. This sounds like a first time homebuyer neighborhood, so be very careful.

Yes, designers and architects cost money, but they save you money, too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Personally, I would not want a bedroom in a basement. Could you expand your footprint to add onto back of home? Would neighborhood support that in terms of resale comps? Since your are actually "flipping" all these cost factors need to be considered carefully. With your background you are ahead of the game. Just hard to keep "appetite control" when you are doing this type project. BTW, factor in having some work done by subs, because you will be working night and day otherwise!
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Yes, the fun part of working on your own home does not last forever. The work does, though.

• chadgratias
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kris: I can certainly see having a bedroom upstairs vs downstairs being better with kids. And yes it is in an area probably attractive to first time buyers with young families. Good point. And yes at some point work is work lol

Flo, basements in this city are commonly developed, and generally valuable, although not as valuable as above gound living space. It was difficult to find comparable homes in this area without a developed basement in fact, but similar houses with basements developed were generally about 35% more. But you are right I will have to look into it carefully to make sure it is worth it. An addition is a possibility as well. I'm too cheap to hire out subs, but I will be calling in favors from friends I guarantee you haha

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I think you will have a very successful project and ultimate financial winner!

• chadgratias
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I hope so! Thank you