Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2960206

Stainless Steel Countertops - Art Deco/Streamline kitchen renovation

User
7 years ago

Hello!

I have an art deco/streamline modern home built in 1935. The original kitchen was removed and replaced with a Tuscan style kitchen in 2001. We bought the home 3 years ago and it a major fixer upper. The time has come for the kitchen to be gutted and I plan to install one more in keeping with the old modern styling of the house. The cabinets will be white with slab door door. The floor will be linoleum in a pattern of black, charcoal, grey, and white.

I'd like to incorporate stainless steel counters however; I am being told that with the radius curves (I'll have 3 areas that curve) this type of installation will be very difficult/impossible to look nice because of all of the seams and grain pattern. I do not live in a big city so I don't have the option of talking with multiple metal fabricators. This particular fabricator uses a silicone material to seal the seams.

So, I am looking for some advice on the seam issue. How noticeable are these types of seams? Am I being given good information? Are there other questions I should have asked?

I just want to gather as much information as possible so I can make an informed decision and go down the path of figuring out plan b. Stainless is my top choice for aesthetic reasons but I do want it to look and perform well - I love to cook so this kitchen will get a ton of use.

I greatly appreciate any advice or comments.

Thank you!

Comments (5)