Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

I need to thin down this Tea list..

nikthegreek
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

... due to funding reasons..

Anyhow, anybody growing one of these who thinks it really isn't worth growing it? Like being a pretty nasty mildew disaster? Any on this list which look too similar? Anything?

rhodologue jules gravereaux (maybe Aussie "Triomphe du Luxembourg")

rosette delizy

marie van houtte

mme falcot

souvenir de pierre notting

mrs b.r. cant

isabelle nabonnand

Comments (12)

• Adam Harbeck
    7 years ago

Of the list i only have MrsBRC.

She gets very large, but is a wonderfuly vigorous and healthy rose for me.

nikthegreek thanked Adam Harbeck
  • romogen
    7 years ago

RJ Gravereaux has small messy flowers & mildew. I shovel pruned mine years ago in SoCal.

Rosette Delizy has ugly flowers that quickly fade & spot. General Gallieni is a better replacement.

MV Houtte is beautiful once established. Older bushes produce petal filled quartered flowers with button eye. Until then, the petal count is low with blowsy form.

Mme Falcot has ugly flowers too, Mme Berard is a much better replacement.

SdP Notting is beautiful.

MBR Cant is a winner, get it!

I Nabonnand ...no opinion, but I vaguely recall smallish flowers.

nikthegreek thanked romogen
  • nikthegreek
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Shorter:

marie van houtte

souvenir de pierre notting

mrs b.r. cant

isabelle nabonnand

Any further comments? 4 is ok but 3 will be even better although shipping will be dearer per plant. I've never bought from this nursery before so I don't want to risk disappointment.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

I guess everything is subjective. Mrs BR Cant is the best, so that we agree on. I SP souvenir de pierre notting because it never bloomed and when it did the flowers were yucky. Maybe it was thrips before I knew what thrips were. I love RdL, it's a slow grower, but can have fantastic blooms.

nikthegreek thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
  • User
    7 years ago

MBRC is the only Tea from your list that I have; we don't get much mildew here, so I can't really comment on that, but my small plant has grown rather quickly into a medium-sized plant; her reputation for vigor is well-deserved.

Virginia

nikthegreek thanked User
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Mrs. B.R. Cant for me does not have the graceful, drooping habit that makes the teas such valuable landscape roses and the flowers are not the pretty ones I see in pictures, they're dark pink to red and nothing special.

Rosette Delizy is a disease-free, not very thorny and graceful bush with beautifully shaded flowers that do need to be deadheaded, although eventually they drop off. I would never part with it.

No mildew on my two RJ Gravereaux. The flowers are small but both are young plants and I can't evaluate them fairly yet.

Rosette Delizy - as you can see I agree with Jackie

nikthegreek thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • romogen
    7 years ago

I no longer grow these roses, so here are some online pics for reference that match my experience in Southern California:

Rosette Delizy

Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux

RJG is on the right, as you can see the dead flowers dry on the bush and remain there until removed. The whole effect becomes parchment & dirty pink.

nikthegreek thanked romogen
  • jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Wow - I have NEVER seen blooms on Rosette Delizy like that, but you are in zone 10 and perhaps that is the reason. The blooms on my bush have been 100% as shown above in my and Ingrid's pics, for over 10 years. I guess location really is important!

Jackie

nikthegreek thanked jacqueline9CA
  • romogen
    7 years ago

This was decades ago back in zone 22/24 Orange County, between Long Beach & San Diego, before I relocated to NorCal. Throughout the years I saw similar blooms of Rosette Delizy at the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena as well as the Heritage Rose Garden in San Jose. It must prefer your particular location.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

It's really odd, because Jackie's location is nothing like mine. Her climate in northern California is milder, with lots more rain; mine is arid and we are in the fifth year of a drought. Of course my the roses do get regular water. My RD looks like romogen's when the blooms are already old and after they've been rained on. The RJ Gravereaux shown in the pictures looks quite beautiful to me; all the bush needs is deadheading. Hopefully Nik will have enough information now to decide which roses he would like to order.

nikthegreek thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    7 years ago

Marie Van Houtte is a winner for me in zone 10a/20 (L.A. area). I agree that the first year or two, the blooms are underwhelming. Mine is in year 4 and magnificent - fills a 4x4' raised bed and is climbing over the top of its 6' trellis! She blooms in flushes, not constantly, but in this climate she'll have four or five flushes per year. In cooler weather she is definitely fragrant.

nikthegreek thanked SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal