Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norma_sassone

Need help on paint color to refinish 1950's dining set

Norma Sassone
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I inherited this buffet and dining table (which opens to twice as big) from my mother 20 years ago. I am so over the knotty pine finish and the wooden knobs. The chairs are not original and have that dark espresso brown almost black finish you find so often now. I want to paint the buffet and table either black or espresso brown, but I am afraid it will look too depressing! Any suggestions on color? flat semi gloss? A friend who is a glass artist is going to make glass knobs for me probably in a fused sage green and persimmon red, but we really need to know the paint color first. I am putting off this job, because I just cant decide - HELP! (I also am sending a shot of the living room, because our condo is basically all one great room - kitchen, dining and living.)

Comments (22)

• Kelleen
    11 years ago
    Hello! I tried to comment but it deleted me for some reason. I am thinking a dark expresso paint in a semi gloss would look FAB. It would really update the look. Have you ever thought of having the chairs upholstered with nailhead trim? That would modernize the look as well. Looks like the chairs legs are one color and the table / buffet another. I would darken the wood up on both the table and buffet - be sure to post before and afters for us!
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    You could definitely paint it dark like the legs. (I realize this paint isn't that dark, but this free app didn't have tons of options for black.) You could do whatever you want with the knobs. You could keep the top the same as it is now, paint it black too, or make it lighter if you want. It just depends on your taste. Painting the walls could look really awesome too!
  • mai123
    11 years ago
    A light Orange colour would be great.
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    yes. Would suggest a good quality oil paint for your buffet
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    Yes, all one color on the table!
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    I think you will be happiest if you perhaps consider a unique alternative. Possibly stick with classic satin black for the table, and paint the sideboard an accent color. Mossy green would advance your color story and help the design feel deliberate. Something like this classic historic color http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0042-ruskin-room-green/

Now it feels like an heirloom that nonetheless advances the color story you are working to tell with your persimmon and green, and the throws can head back to the couch. This will help tie in the leather chair too. Black is always right - it will harmonize with the chairs with dark legs without needing to match. The espresso option feels to matchy to me and hard to get a good tone in quality paint. Black also comes in many shades, so you can get a brown or warm black.
  • Norma Sassone
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What do you all think if the top of the buffet is done in a faux marble paint in green or white? And the bottom is the black?
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    I think it would look more updated if you just painted the whole thing in the desired black or espresso color. If you do the marbling on the top, it will just look like a piece of furniture trying to be something it is not. I think it is a really nice piece to begin with. It just needs anew outfit and some new jewelry knobs. Good luck and please show us what you decide to do!
    11 years ago
    Look at your pillows on the chairs. Those colors are very pretty together. I would use those colors (I'm assuming you like them, too) as your color palette to decorate around. How about the table in dark expresso like the chair legs and the buffet in the mossy green color with expresso color glazing in the corners? The glass knobs would look great on the buffet painted green. Move the mirror and replace with a large piece of art with like color. Flank the artwork with two Buffett lamps.
    11 years ago
    Forgot: paint the walls!! Cream will allow the vibrant colors in the furniture and artwork be the star of the show.
  • dkramer
    11 years ago
    Your style is similar to mine. I found a wonderful paint color that goes with just about everything. Sherwin Williams Cargo Pants. It is a neutral beige green with grey under tones. Light but warm.
  • Tammy
    11 years ago
    I am thinking dark expresso and then distressed, maybe you could even use the persimmon red in the distressing and finish of with the glass knobs. Just a thought
  • Norma Sassone
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ Tammy - you have peaked my interest with this idea. Would you paint the persimmon red on the edges and then paint the dark color over everything and then when it is dry sand along the edges so the red would show through? - but ALL these ideas sound so good!
  • Tammy
    11 years ago
    I am not quite sure the best way to go about it but I was kinda picturing all the wood expresso with the persimmon red being the color peaking through. There is a site called betterthannew.blogspot.ca and if you look through her work there it may give you some more inspiration. Good luck and can't wait to see what you decide to do.
  • pitbulls
    11 years ago
    I love the color of the dining chairs.I think you have great color sense esp after looking at the rest of your spaces.I was thinking dark expresso or black for the table. What if you left the cabinet alone and just changed the hardware out? Hardware to match the table color.
  • mai123
    11 years ago
    I also think this natural colour is nice.
    If I were you i would leave it like that.
  • PRO
    Creative79 Design
    11 years ago
    I would recommend not doing a semi or a gloss finish since the cabinet is knotty pine and those knots will show through the finish. Glossy surfaces reflect the light on elements like knots or grainy woods like oak, hickory or other textured surfaces. Updating the finishes is a good idea to keep your heirloom current. Good Luck on your project.
  • lynncasey1031
    11 years ago
    I used a gel stain on a very good Henredon dresser - almost ebony in colr. Came out beautiful and easy not messy. Do several coats and prepare well with sanding & finish with a wax. I personally would put a stone top on the piece for serving convenience. A contrast with classic white grained marble would be beautiful. Additionally, so it does not look too heavy , I would put glass in the doors on either side. Clear or diffused. You could then use a classic style hardware which s in keeping with the era.

Have fun with it. Finish table could be the same. Slip cover chairs in something current.
    Depends on the rest of your home style.
    Hope this helps
  • Norma Sassone
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the fabulous suggestion - I am close to making a decision. Unfortunately, I have a long term sub teacher job coming up for three weeks, unexpectedly, so I won't be able to start on this until later in April. When I am done I'll post the photos.
  • Tammy
    11 years ago
    You came into my thoughts and I was wondering if you have had a chance to start your project yet although probably you haven't had the chance. Looking forward to seeing your finished results.
  • Norma Sassone
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yikes! Life does get in the way of projects! We are headed off to San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico for two weeks, but I PROMISE I will get to the painting when we get back :-) I have settled on some lovely colors from Annie Sloan chalk paints. Still feeling the marble on top of the buffet. We'll see. Will update soon. Hasta la vista!